BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
As of late all I see the NRA do is slow down the left, there just a hunting club now.

I bet the NRA will let us eat a new ban in 04 to.

I realy don't think I want to bull shit my self any more, next year there will be no $35.00 from me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
"ZAZOU, let's be frank, OK? Isn't your list of accomplishments kinda thin?
Especially in light of the fact that (former, thank God) Pres. Clinton credited the NRA for AL Whore's defeat in the last election?"

Raf, Let's really be frank man, he only siad that to make the other left wing cry babies mad at the NRA and make them think that if they stop the NRA they can have the commie gov. they want.

That same day he talked about how Bush is soo slick and BSed his way in to office, is he right on that to?
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have tried to keep up with the the NRA and their constant harange. I get mailings treating me like a dead beat. I get mailings berating me for letting my membership lapse when I carry their card showing me a good standing member for another 8 months! When I write, E-mail or call, all I get is the same kind of crap  get from the phone company. Wayne better show up at my front door for the next bleeding.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The Left and the Press hate and fear the NRA.  Why? Because they have Power.  If you think the NRA has frittered away your gun rights then take a hard look at this.  If it wasn't for the NRA you would be enjoying thae same gun rights as the Brits and Aussies right now.  If you love your gun rights then send a couple of hundred to the NRA a year and they won't have to keep bugging you every month for money. I have done enough lobbying to know if you don't give a little you will be eaten alive in Washington D.C.

Don't give to the left by with holding money form the NRA. A six pack a month is all that they ask.

JWM  
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
    I decided not to renew my membership years ago when it had become painfully obvious to anyone willing to see, that the NRA was just going to continue compromising away our second amendment rights little piece by little piece until nothing is left(and you will never ever get back a single one of those little pieces).  

Besides, they didn't send me my cap the last time I DID renew!    
        [pissed]            [-!-]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My "NRA" $ now goes to GOA
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no scholar, but it seems to me that there could be room for a sub-group of the NRA, made up of AR15.com members.  We all seem to have a variety of viewpoints but we also have a very common set of 2nd ammendment values.

Could the NRA stand to have an specific and identified segment of their membership that has specific lobbying goals towards the repeal of the AW ban as well as protection of our right to own a rifle with a pistol grip and a magazine?

Since comments were made that the NRA supports Hunters and has left everyone else out to dry, is there room for the NRA to also support us?  If it were managed by a lobbying /oversite group made up of AR15.com members, there may be a voice for us in Washington.  

NRA clout and AR15.com agendas... Hmmm....  I'd be a hell of alot more likely to fork over some cash to the NRA/AR15.com lobbying group than the NRA machine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Is someone out there w/more computer savvy to send this thread along to our NRA friends than I am able to???
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
2 words

Project exile

the NRA is not getting anymore of my money for there support of that HUGE POS plan
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The NRA deserves everyones support because they will endorse any "pro-gun" republican candidate that comes along. Just ask anyone in new york or kalifornia.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
CYRAX777, what's your problem with Project Exile? Commit a crime with a gun, go to jail. What's wrong with that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Organizations are only as good as their membership. If you want your voice to be heard you need to be a member. Are you really going to miss that 10¢ a day?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#17]
TBS: I understand your issue but organizations get changed by infiltrating the policy-making bureaucracy of the org.[:D]  

The NRA isn't perfect but the larger the membership the more influence they can exert on the political front. For the most part politicians are only looking for votes. They could care less about the issues. They will support the issues of an organization that can provide those votes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:  

NRA clout and AR15.com agendas... Hmmm....  I'd be a hell of alot more likely to fork over some cash to the NRA/AR15.com lobbying group than the NRA machine.
View Quote

I like the idea...Now how do we set the wheels in motion [:\]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:  

View Quote

I like the idea...Now how do we set the wheels in motion [:\]
View Quote

Here's the only thing that I can think of...  Get the Avila's, and all the moderators involved.  They need to get the manufacturers of all Black Rifle parts and systems to commit to back a plan like this.  There needs to be support from the Manufacturers and Industry participants.  

I don't expect Colt to get on board, but Quality/Bushmaster, Eagle/Armalite, Delton, J&T and a host of others could be plankowners.  The expense they go to to support the program will come back to them with sales to customers that want to give their business to a company that supports the AR owner.

From there, other boards and their members would participate and become part of the brotherhood.

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I did not renew NRA.  The constant appeals for funds is bad but not why I stopped.  I think they have been infiltrated by the enemy HCI types.  How else can you explain their wishy washy politics?  Last straw was when they introduced a poor CCW bill (HB-274 with all kinds of registration BS in it!) in Ohio AFTER HB-225,  a Vermont style bill, was already introduced?  Looks like a sell out to me!

Hell, even the damn Brady bill was WRITTEN by the NRA!  Heston hates AK-47s.  What more evidence do you need?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
CYRAX777, what's your problem with Project Exile? Commit a crime with a gun, go to jail. What's wrong with that?
View Quote
its to easy to manipulate soon it will be ANY crime oh shit im ccw carryiong when i get caught with a expired parking meter damn 5 years in jail becouse of exile. to much of a anti foot in the door
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Is that the way Project Exile has been working so far? They're going after criminals with parking tickets? That's news to me! I thought they were going after career violent criminals, but you may know more about this than I do!

In the meanwhile, you don't like the way the NRA leadership has been drifting to the left? You don't like the way the National Republican Party has been compromising our RKBA?

And yet you have decided that you can't be bothered about joining either group with the idea of helping them back on the right path?

[b]Sure sounds like you ARE part of the problem, 'cause you surely ain't part of the solution, now are you?[/b]

But that's o.k. You keep carping about how things would be different if YOU ran the show, etc., while the rest of us do the heavy lifting.

Eric The(NRALifer)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Like I siad it's hunting club they don't give a damn about ARs,AKs CCW or any thing eles we do.

They have F#$%^&ed us on sooooo meny bills it makes me sick.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#25]
When the NRA decide to build their big beautiful office complex, I decided to stop giving.  I saw what they were about and it wasn't fighting for gun owners rights.  They have become a politically correct machine.  Many 50bmg enthusiasts feel the same way, they dont care about the rights of 50bmg shooters either.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Got a phone call from NRA a couple hours ago asking me to renew.  Something about Heston which I don't remember.

I told the guy I would be pleased to renew when NRA supported my machine gun and assault rifle ownership, stopped compromising with the enemy and stopped introducing bills like the HB274 CCW in Ohio.  As he gurgled I asked just how many people in decision making positions were HCI infiltrators?  He sputtered a little more than hung up on me!
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Remember that Dillon Precision editorial last year:  "If you're a gunowner and vote Democrate, you suck!".

Here's mine:

If you're a gunowner and don't belong to the NRA, you SUCK!".

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was poor and had bills caving in on me and I couldn't save up enough money before the CA ban to buy the 16" shorty I wanted, I scraped $25 together that I couldn't afford, and got an NRA membership. Still, the biggest anti gun fiasco still came down on CA. Every month I got more and more letters asking me for more money that I didn't have. In every publication I got it said things like, "Look at the U.K., if we don't do something we will end up like them". Never in one of those pieces of paper did I see anything about the CA ban and what they were doing to fight it. There should have been an all out war waged against CA, but nothing. Even with all the new handgun bans, we are being left out to dry. I've heard of only one incident this year where the NRA stepped up to the plate for someone in CA. The ironic thing is I manage an NRA affiliated gun club. I think you are right, they have turned into a big PC machine. All the hunters are more mellow, and don't look as intimidating as us black rifle nuts, they are a better image to show the soccer moms.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#30]
The only time I have seen the NRA stop major gun legislation was when they heavily campaigned against I6, the Bill Gates backed handgun ban in Washington State. They spent a couple million and even had Heston speaking at rallies.

I think that the NRA believes kalifornia is a lost cause. Their only actions in that state are merely symbolic court appeals AFTER the laws are passed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Bitch all you want but the NRA is the most effective organization out there fighting for our rights!  You may not agree with everything that they do...but do you agree with everything your spouse/friends/family members, etc. do?  I live in the communist state of Mass...this is one state that is beyond hope.  At least on the national level, I have hope!  Whatever organization you belong to (hopefully you DO belong to NRA or GOA or JPF etc.) I know that it's a pain in the a** to get solicitations for money all the time...you don't have to give all the time...just occassionally.  Like I said, they are the most effective on the national (and in some cases local) level.  Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I am still an NRA member.
While I agree with some that they are compromising too much on many issues I still feel they are a good lobbying group to support.
One of the big problems I see are these "hunters" that love their wood stocked guns and yet tell me "I don't see any reason for people to own one of those "assault rifles",all they are good for is killing people".
Wait until their ox is gored,because the "anti's" won't stop until they have them all.
The NRA panders to these members as they comprise the majority of their membership base.
I would like to see them fight more vigorously for the rights of para-military style weapons owners.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I send in my $35 a year, basically just to keep the membership numbers up so they can swing a bigger hammer on Capitol Hill [b]when they choose to[/b]. I have also joined the Texas State Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of America.

I lived in California for a while, and saw how quick the NRA was to bend over, fold like a house of cards, etc when a bill was introduced regarding anything controversial like SURs. Oh, the American Rifleman will take Wilson Combat's money to put an ad in for their high-dollar AR variant, but don't expect them to stand up and fight for your right to own one.

The city of McKinney, TX just won a federal appeals case and will padlock the best range (trap, pistol, rifle, 3 tactical pits, full-auto welcome) in the DFW area in 3 or 4 weeks. A lot of good all those calls and emails to the NRA did. They were a no-show at the state trial and the federal trial. The training company my buddy runs and the local IDPA chapter that shot at that range raised a bunch of money for lawyer fees, but no checks came in from the local chapter or national headquarters of the NRA.

And I do get involved. I write letters to newspapers, magazines, TV stations and legislators. I went out on several occasions to do maintenance on shooting ranges that charge me to shoot there. I go out and counterprotest bliss ninny liberal bedwetters like the million mom march and others of their ilk. I send guys like Rep. Sam Johnson (R-TX) and Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX) checks and thumbs-up letters because they're staunchly pro-gun.

I'll send the NRA more than $35 a year when I can afford to wear suits as nice as Wayne LaPierre's and when they look like they're ready to dig in their heels and fight like hell for an "unpopular" gun like some of the ones I own, not just my trap gun and deer rifle.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#34]
You may be in Mass. but other than the Boston area, you can still have "black rifles" and any handgun on the market. CA can't have either. We have to be told what we can have. If I am wrong about Mass let me know. Last time I knew the communist capitol of Bean town was the only place "assault weapons" and handguns were limited. That sucks too, because I would really like to go to Cape Cod.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#35]
While "assault rifles" are banned only in the city of Boston, the good legislature passed a new law in 1998 requiring a "Class A" license...in essence a LTC in order to get a "high capacity" rifle.  Of course, while they did that, they also added that any "violent person or drug offender" cannot EVER get a pistol permit.  What this has meant is that even if you had a pistol permit for the last 20 years and you own a business and make all kinds of cash deposits...well if you were arrested 25 years ago when you were 17 years old for a marijuana cigarette and had a "guilty" finding...you CANNOT get a pistol permit...EVER!!!  This includes anyone ever convicted of "Assault and Battery" (even though it is a misdemeanor).  This conviction makes you a violent person and therefore inelgible. Also, we can no longer get any handgun on the market. We can only buy "Mass compliant" pistols which are some S&W, some Sigs, and the Walther P99.  That's it, no more 1911's, Glocks, Beretta's etc. Welcome to the CRADLE OF LIBERTY!
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#36]
NRA definitely helps protect gun owners rights and the second amendment.  Even if they only gain a little each year, its most definitely worth a measly 35$ to any gun owner.  As far as the solicitations for more money, its simple, if you dont want to give any, then throw it out.  I mean, how hard is that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
NRA definitely helps protect gun owners rights and the second amendment.  Even if they only gain a little each year, its most definitely worth a measly 35$ to any gun owner.  As far as the solicitations for more money, its simple, if you dont want to give any, then throw it out.  I mean, how hard is that?
View Quote

What exactly have they been gaining? To me they are just doing a rear guard delaying action. I am still a member just because when I renew it gets me into the fun show without having to wait in those horrendously long ticket lines.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Every time this topic comes up I see new excuses that people use not to send $35 bucks in every year.

The only thing I'd like to see is a "no junk mail" membership option, even if the dues double.  :)

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#39]
To claim that the NRA hasnt gained anything is just plain silly.  Im not prepared to deliver a long list of gains the NRA has made but i will cite one example.  Al Gore himself admitted that the NRA had a lot to do with him losing the presidency to Bush.  That to me seems like a substantial gain to gun owners rights, dont ya think?

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What exactly have they been gaining? To me they are just doing a rear guard delaying action. I am still a member just because when I renew it gets me into the fun show without having to wait in those horrendously long ticket lines.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm still a member. They do have policical clout with Congress. I simply ignore the weekly pleas for more money, I'll admit they should not ask so much.

I'd say to those of you who want to see some changes at the NRA, write them letters. Phone calls and emails just don't carry the same weight in my opinion.

I use the same tactic with my Senators and Congressman when I feel strongly about something. Calls and emails just don't carry the same weight as a signed letter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When the NRA decide to build their big beautiful office complex, I decided to stop giving.  I saw what they were about and it wasn't fighting for gun owners rights.  They have become a politically correct machine.  Many 50bmg enthusiasts feel the same way, they dont care about the rights of 50bmg shooters either.
View Quote

I can't comment on their position concerning the 50BMG.

As far as their new complex in Fairfax, I have been there numerous times. A large portion of the building is the National Firearms Museum, which you all need to see, its world class AND ITS FREE. The Bill Ruger collection is awesome.

Second, another portion of the complex is a WORLD CLASS INDOOR SHOOTING RANGE. Hangun and rifle shooters are both welcome. I have not seen any 50cal shooters in there, if there was I would bail out pronto. ARs and 30 cal rifles are loud enough indoors as it is.

Finally, If the NRA represents me in a meeting with Federal, State, or local officials, I want the meeting place to say something. I want the meeting place to say 'I'm big, I have resources to fight you if necessary'. Their new building says just that.

So while I agree with many of the comments in other posts I thought you might be interested in an alternative view.

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
lets break down the 35.00 membership. Lets assume it costs the nra 10.00 per year to publish and mail your magazine. then roughly 10.00 per year posatage for all the mailouts. i used to get 2-5 per month. that leaves 15.00

Now you figure 10-12.00 for administrative costs per year for someone to acutally stuff envelopes and process memberships. you are down to 5.00 for useful funds. I'd be willing to bet that is a conservative estimate. It's no wonder they want money all the time they have completely pissed away the first 35.00 you sent them.

You guys go ahead and piss your money away for an organization that sqaunders your money and pisses on your rights. I have not seen the NRA do anything PROACTIVE in the last few years. They are for ever playing catch-up. Showing up after the fact as a show for the press.

mike
View Quote

None of your $35 goes to the ILA Mailings. It goes to admin and member benefits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I sent an email explaining that I was getting their contribution letters on a daily basis  and told them to save their money on stamps,etc., and not send the 'must have your money now' junk mail.  I also asked when they would go for "THE BIG ONE" and file suit against all illegal gun laws based on the Second Amendment.
They sent an email not mentioning the gun laws, but advising me that they would remove me from the contribution lists.  
I am still a member, and I still get the contribution mail, but now only weekly, not daily.    
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#46]
No, the NRA isn't perfect.

Yes it is the best hope we have of keeping what firearm freedoms we still have.

If you can't see past the junk mail, then you aren't even on the right page when it comes to gun ownership.

If you aren't a member of the NRA and you own guns, you are just one of the freeloaders taking advantage of all of the rest of us who are NRA members.  

Who but the NRA can affect who is elected to any State, or Federal office by throwing their weight behind the best candidate available who can be elected?  The GOA, or any other group?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Post from Imbroglio -
To me they are just doing a rear guard delaying action.
View Quote

But, my dear friend, sometimes a rear guard delaying action is precisely the only thing you can do!

If the NRA is doing it, then you may rest assured that the others are not doing any better!

Eric The(Pro-NRA,Republican,WooHoo!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Look, This is not an easy thing.
I have been in the NRA for six years(I'm only 24) I want the NRA to really figth for gunrights but I just can't see it,not now.

To hold on to the NRA and not give a damn about the truth is foolish.
They have done one sorry job,ever ban ever law and ever other ati-gun act on the Fed. level has gone untuched,they will only talk about  gun rights if the PR winds blow there way at the time.

Who from the NRA was at the UN's "small arms" form? No one at all.

Where are they at now with the AW ban sunset coming up?

The NRA is getting smaller and what the hell will we do with out them?! Not the Nra we have today but the NRA we need.
It way well be time to start over, the NRA brass will be of not help to is at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I can only imagine the day when I see Charlton and Wayne getting hammered at a hotel bar and picking up prostitutes on the NRA travel budget!  I'll get my $35 worth! [<]:)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Post from a2car -
They have done one sorry job,ever ban ever law and ever other ati-gun act on the Fed. level has gone untuched,they will only talk about gun rights if the PR winds blow there way at the time.
View Quote

The NRA is powerless to overturn these anti-RKBA laws by themselves. These laws were voted on and passed by the People's representatives!

As long as good, conservative states such as South Dakota keeps sending people like 'Puff Daddy' Daschle to the Senate, we're going to be in for a rough ride.

Eric The(NRA-Lifer,TheOnlyGameInTown)Hun[>]:)]

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top