Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2001 8:56:51 AM EDT
This followup report is posted to AR-15.com and rec.guns.

As some of you may recall, I posted a while ago about the AR Clint of Fulton Armory built for me. There were a few items of finish I was concerned about, and the gun was not all that accurate with IMI 62 gr green tips.

Clint emailed me regarding some of the finish stuff. Since it was an email, I will paraphrase him. He said that the forward assist he put on was a more expensive kind, and if I wanted a military copy he would put it on even though it was cheaper. He discussed the vise marks on the upper, but they did buff out with CLP and a rag. He did say the Jewel trigger is long because it is two stage, and I am getting used to it. He also offered to buy the gun back if it didn’t measure up, but he told me to try other ammo. He stated the reason the rear sight was a different shade was because it is a different material and heat treat, and offered no reason why the 8/3 marking on the rear sight dial did not line up with the sight marking. I have also since noticed that the safety selector pin is not marked on the right side of the gun, this was a feature I liked in the service since you could lay the gun ejection port side up so people could see the bolt back, and let them also see it was on safe.

The accuracy thing was tested out by me this weekend (I was delayed by a happy event. My wife selected a Ladysmith 357 with the 6 round frame and the full finger groove grips, and we spent time before that purchase shooting a bunch at a rental range with different guns, and a whole bunch of time after that as she prepared for her CCW class. I have been cranking out the rounds on the Dillon, she has been sending 200+ down range every time we go to the range. The CCW classes are very hard to get into around here since the law just changed in Michigan)

Any how….

I changed plans to mount a PDP 40mm red dot sight on an Aimpoint mount on the AR, at the suggestion of the moderator of rec.guns and a few posters. I instead mounted a Bushnell very firmly, and set it at 10 power. I zeroed in, and started firing at 100 yards, bag supported front and rear.

Win Q3131—first round ripped the rim off. The ammo was picked up by UPS at Winchester’s expense and will be replaced by them with Israeli made stuff. (The one shot group was the smallest of the test  ;-)    More seriously, I was pretty pissed when I saw on the net there are known problems with this load and they didn’t recall it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#1]
That brings me to today’s shooting. Note: Groups are callipered, outside to outside, dropping the bogus digits, five shot groups.

IMI 62 gr greentip (boxed as M855 lot 00201/A)—2.1, 2.3, flyer group likely my fault.

55 gr Ultramax Nosler BTs—1.7, 1.9, no third group

55 gr Federals with the Sierra gameking BTHP (p223E)—1.5, 1.4, 1.1

I didn’t buy any more ammo, since no one around here has the Black Hills I was told was good. I am going to order it off the net.

As you can see, the scope tightened up my IMI groups by about half. The federals have promise. I will see what black hills does to see what I like best. I did buy some dies, I may try some variations on the sierra bullet to see what happens.

The accuracy of this rifle is acceptable, and I acknowledge that my prior reporting of 4 MOA groups was caused by my using (1) IMI mil spec loads, and (2) using iron sights, wrongly assuming that I could shoot them accurately in the AR even though it has been years since I shot an M-16 on the KD course. (I deluded myself that my M1 abilities translated directly over.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I didn’t buy any more ammo, since no one around here has the Black Hills I was told was good. I am going to order it off the net.

View Quote

Happyshooter:

I bought an ArmaLite NM before the Garand Match at Camp Perry and picked up some Black Hills 68Gr. HMHP at Cabela's on the way home.  It is good stuff and a good excuse to drive to Cabela's.  It has been sub MOA in the NM.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You need an excuse to stop a Cabela's? I live about 6 hrs west of Sidney and stop in every time I drive by. Even if if adds about 2 hrs. to the trip. Then I stop at the store in Kearney, where my sis lives.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You need an excuse to stop a Cabela's? I live about 6 hrs west of Sidney and stop in every time I drive by. Even if if adds about 2 hrs. to the trip. Then I stop at the store in Kearney, where my sis lives.
View Quote

Hey Johnny? You going to the freedom machine gun shoot in Kearney?
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are truly blessed!
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
We are going to a game in A2 next month, the problem is that we start tailgating 6 hours prior, and then sober up during the game and 4 hours after to drive home. I don't know if I can break tradition just to drive an extra hour south. I mean, shooting is shooting, but Michigan Football at the Big House is an event.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hey Johnny? You going to the freedom machine gun shoot in Kearney?
View Quote

Ohhhh mannn! When is it? I know I won't be able to go. Isn't it an annual thing? I'll have to remember to schedule vacation time around it next year.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a range report on my Fulton Armory AR that I posted to Rec.guns on May 6, shortly after I got the gun.

I recently decided that it was time to get a gas gun.  I had given serious consideration to an M1A, but I like to shoot a lot, and .223 is much less expensive and much less punishing than .308.  I like accuracy, however, and the standard off-the-shelf AR isn't really known for that, unless you buy a target model and load 70 grain rounds one at a time.  At least, that's what I've read.

So, after reading all the good things people had to say about Clint McKee and Fulton Armory, I decided that I would like to have him build me
something that would meet my particular  desires.  We exchanged e-mails from January 28 until February 14 (and had one extended phone call to clarify details) in order to work out what I wanted versus what I was able to spend.  I shipped him a stripped Bushmaster lower on March 15, and he shipped me an assembled rifle on April 29.

I got a modified version of Fulton's Designated Marksman Rifle - Compact. It is equipped with a 1x9 twist Douglas Premium 16" bull barrel, with a standard bolt, carrier, etc.  in a flat-top upper.  It has a Jewell trigger, an ergonomic pistol grip, a standard buttstock with a QD side swivel, and a Quad-Rail forend tube with a QD side swivel and a Harris bipod.  No iron sights.  I also got two used aluminum 30-round magazines and a 10-round DPMS mag.  

To this I mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10X Police scope.  With the ocular lens located directly above the charging handle (for correct eye relief) this put the adjustment body directly over the end of the Weaver rail on the upper.  However, the Weaver rail on the Quad-Rail forend was perfectly in line, so I put one scope ring on the upper, and one on the forend, and off to the range we went!

I had purchased some South African 55 grain ball, but I also picked up a box of Ultramax 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip commercial reloads, just to see how they would compare.  On my first trip out to the range I had some initial feeding problems that I traced back to the magazines.  Once I cleaned up the magazine feed lips, all feed problems went away.  The DPMS magazine worked flawlessly.  The rifle also doubled on me twice in the initial 300 rounds of testing, so I adjusted that marvelous Jewell trigger for a bit more pull and that problem went away.  The rifle then functioned perfectly, but accuracy was, well, disappointing with the SA stuff.  I got 6-7 shots into 2.5" with the remaining 3-4 opening the group up to about 6" at 100 yards.

Then I tried the Ultramax.

Ten shots into a group I could cover with a quarter!  Over and over and over again!

Subsequently I took the rifle back to the range twice more and repeated the experience.  SA ammo, all over the place, Ultramax reloads, little tiny groups.  However, I noticed that I had developed a "wandering zero" problem.  I pretty much decided that it must be because the scope was mounted half on the upper and half on the forend, so I put both rings behind the adjustment body and on the upper.  This seems to have solved that problem.

I also started handloading.  My first attempt - 55 gr. Sierra HPBT GameKings over 26 grains BL-C(2).

10-shot groups I can cover with a quarter.  Perfect feed and functioning.
I'm really going to enjoy this rifle!

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Great!!!

That rifle sounds like a keeper to me.

Congrats.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh yes, it's definitely a keeper.  I'm playing with different loads right now and soon I'll start working on long-range out to about 400 yards with it.  It's easily the most accurate firearm I own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top