Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2001 9:32:47 PM EDT
Here's my second "DeWalt" CAV-15. My first one had to be destroyed since it was given to me as a non-gun(I was in California at the time), and I got it a little too close to being functional.[;)]

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/ON/VN/FN/Vo87095.jpg[/img]

It's not completely finished yet, as I plan to shorten the buttstock a tad before adding the buttplate, but it's complete other than that.
[:D]
Dang, I love these CAV-15s!!

[size=6][blue][url]www.cavalryarms.com[/blue][/url][/size=6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool man!

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Lookin' good

Are you going to shorten the buttstock to the length of the lower on the bottom?

Alex
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Not quite that short. I'll probably shorten this one to the length and angle of an A2 buttstock. The old one was a little shorter than an A1.

Here's my other 2 CAV-15 lowers. The green one is also a little short, but I like its length for a shorty carbine. My white one will probably stay full length, since it usually has a 24" bull barrelled upper on it.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/033/ON/VN/FN/Vm11305.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I took myCavalry Arms lower to the range for the first time yesterday. Its been sitting in the safe since I got it and I hadn't yet figured out how I want to set it up so I just overlooked shooting it. Finally, I just had to shoot it so I attached the upper from my LEGP rifle and had at it.
Overall, I thought it handled well but I did think maybe I'd like a little shorter stock on it, is it hard to shorten the stocks on these lowers?
What's the procedure?

I like the DeWalt sticker, adds a nice touch. Think maybe the local Home Depot will be carrying a line of these soon?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Each one(prototype) that I've shortened so far has been done a little differently. I've now worked up a method that works well, but it requires a jig that I built, to guide a router bit on the inside of the stock to hollow it out further. I've also got another jig that aligns the stock in the saw to shorten it at the same angle as the A2 stock.

There are easier ways to do it (you could just chop it with any saw, hollow it out a tad with a Dremel tool, and epoxy the buttplate back on), but I'm working on a way that won't void the factory warranty whatsoever, and may eventually even be offered as a factory option. It allows the buttplate to mount exactly as it does on a standard length CAV-15, and not lose any structural rigidity at all.

"Cavalry Arms Custom Shop" has a certain ring to it.[:D]
I just need to find the time...

[url]www.cavalryarms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this a joke or does that thing really work. If it does I really do admire your craftsmanship.

Six
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Cavalry Arms Custom Shop" has a certain ring to it.
View Quote

As long as your setting up shop maybe you know the answer to this question I was going to post on the Cav Arms Forum. If not I'll post it over there.

Will the Cav Arms lower accept any safety selector levers? I really like the Star Safety Selector that came with the LEGP rifle. Thinking it would add a nice touch to my lower. Will it work on the Cav Arms Lower?
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The Cav-15 is compatible with all standard (small pin) AR parts. It will work with the star safety, an Ambi safety, whatever. The dimentions are the same.

SixGun357, Yes it does work. Check out the link. [url]www.cavalryarms.com[/url]

[:)]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Lets send that pic to Lowe's!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Franksquid,

Does the bayonet reciprocate?  That would be more efficient for drive-by bayonetings....
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
FrankSquid, I've just learned a new respect for you. That's one of the funniest pics so far![:D]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Treetop,

I see where you have different length buttstocks.  This piques my curiousity.  I would support Gary and buy one of these but I never liked the longer stock.  So.........

How'd ya do it?  Make it shorter?  

James
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are easier ways to do it (you could just chop it with any saw, hollow it out a tad with a Dremel tool, and epoxy the buttplate back on), but I'm working on a way that won't void the factory warranty whatsoever, and may eventually even be offered as a factory option. It allows the buttplate to mount exactly as it does on a standard length CAV-15, and not lose any structural rigidity at all.
View Quote

Tree--
What I would like to see is the ability to mount your "shorty kit" utilizing the Mil sling swivel or a reasonable facsimile. Hint Hint...
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
[:I]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Smack! Smack!

I would like to order a DeWalt, and do you have one with a black/yellow swirl design (bumblebee)?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top