[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/001/p5/Q9/Ze/Io78991.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/el/RO/ya/Md37686.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/037/ve/Mm/Tv/LP48487.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/030/4Q/il/i5/M589356.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/038/qI/h9/IK/Ud34377.jpg[/img]
Thats a DPMS 24" under that camo
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet looking ghillie suit !!!!  Don't be skipping along in that baby during the upcoming deer season, though.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you talking about? The practice in the world is creeping right under those dingleberry's treestands and dropping their deer while they are still waiting for it to get closer! Hehe, thanks, and I will be carefull.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL !!!!  You go,  boy !!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, If you painted your face and hands you would be real hard to see.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Very kewl- but can't you cover up your hand? That's the only thing I can see that stands out.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If I did cover my hands and face, it would just be a picture of some woods, duh! Actually I have gloves & facepaint, the pictures were just a color check while I was at the rifle range. I'll probably wear them next time I'm "people huntin'"
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say you need more material in there, especially for that rifle and make some covers for your boots. Also don't be shy to rip some little tree's out and stick them into the suit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice suit.  Did you make it or buy it?

One peice of criticism, you need to hide your boots, the shiny black boots stood out more that your skin to me.  I saw someone turn a pair of boot gaiters into slip on ghille boot covers, worked well.  If you go to all the trouble of wearing that thing you'd feel mighty bumb if you got busted because of your footwear.

Really nice looking suit.

Scarecrow beat me to the post on the boots.  I guess great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
As I said before, I just threw it on to do a color check in the woods. I had already planned on taking a wire brush or some steel wool to those boots and then hitting them with a little OD spray. But I dont think I'll be adding any more material. I made it with the strips of burlap under the jute twine so that I would get some depth to break the sillouhette(sp?) but I don't want it to look like just stringy stuff. Its heavy as it is and I'd still like to be able to move around[bounce] Thanks for the advice though, I'll be sure to get those boots taken care of!
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/026/Wa/ze/e3/7428021.jpg[/img]
It's a bad pic and my old 16" barrel, but I thought it might give a better idea of what I'm trying to hide under that ghillie.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Another point. If "The Enemy" was glassing you he would notice that your G-suit doesn't appear to be live vegetation. It looks dead. maybe you could put a little dirt on the suit and use a little live grass?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, it is a little dark for the area I'm in. I didn't take the time to add live vegitation, but as far as rubbing dirt, I don';t know about that. Fall is rolling around soon so I'm not gonna change the colors on it just yet, but I'll definetly add plants when its time to get serious. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#13]
subvertz,

Beautiful suit :) Your suit is so much better than standard woodland BDUs that it is not even funny. Make sure that you verify that you rifle's zero does not shift when you wrap it up. A rigid or soft-bag brass catcher might also be a useful addition as ejecting brass can compromise concealment, just make sure it doesn't affect reliablitty. Take care.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually, Im freefloated and the wrap is just a loose sleeve camo lons sleeve T-Shirt with the torso cut off. The barrel fits loosely down one sleeve, the butt in the other, and the scope is in the head-hole. So its like a natrual brass catcher. They fly out, hit the camo and fall right there on the ground next to my trigger hand, easy to pick up (when they cool off)[sniper].
I suggest everyone take the time to look into making a ghillie, you'll appreciatte the time it takes. A true labor of love.

And they are worried that I'm not old enough to buy a handgun!
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody know anything about BSA Optic's scopes. I got a 40mm 4x16 Target for this gun and the damn thing won't focus past 20ft. I've played with ALL the combinations of settings - no joy. Am I just a dildo or should I send it in to get looked at?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to the range today. Gonna try out the suggestions and also see what .223 FMJ's will due too a duct-taped, water soaked, phone book with a layer of pennies sandwiched between the white & yellow pages. Anybody know anything I can use for a target a .223 won't go through?
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anybody know anything I can use for a target a .223 won't go through?
View Quote

A chunk of I-beam stops a .223 pretty well.  Someone left one at the range a few weeks back.  Love the the sound of a round hitting it and the sight of it turning to dust.

Didn't have any SS109 (green tip) to see how much deeper it would dig into it though..... bummer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I was thinking "Sewer Lid" but something told me that would be bad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#19]
What did you use as a base for that?  I started one using a "night desert cammo" parka.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Switch to a AR-10T.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Boomstick: OD Green Flight suit (Surplus Store 30$)  Spraed some black streaks across it, glued the netting on with SHOE GOO (Hard to find), and died the burlap myself. Accent with the jute twine & cut-up camo an "Poof!" - ghillie suit. Not quite poof but you should have an easier go at it being desert and all. That parka is gonna get hot, just warning you.

Scarecrow:I'm 20 yo drawing E-4 and still trying to pay of this rifle. Yeah, I should hop up to a .308 for a "snipper riffle" but I think I'll hold out for a good bolt gun, say Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag?
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#22]
The parka is actually just the shell, its really thin.  I have looked at the jute twine and decided to add that to my burlap as well.  The stuff seems to really work well togather with burlap instead of either alone.  I am taking my time and sewing everything on instead of using the netting.

"Shoe Goo" hard to get ahold of, really?

Very nice creation, by the way!  

I was an E-4 when I got out, didn't pay jack then.....same as now?
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Boomstick: OD Green Flight suit (Surplus Store 30$)  Spraed some black streaks across it, glued the netting on with SHOE GOO (Hard to find), [b]and died the burlap myself[/b]. Accent with the jute twine & cut-up camo an "Poof!" - ghillie suit. Not quite poof but you should have an easier go at it being desert and all. That parka is gonna get hot, just warning you.
View Quote

What did you dye the burlap with?  I have everything I need except the dye and need to figure out the proper colors dye it with.  

Keep posting ghillie stuff, Hopefully it will motivate me enough to start building the darn thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck with the sewing, that is gonna be a pain but it should turn out real nice. Start with the burlap first, fray it with one of those strong metal dog grooming combs, then toss it in dryer machine to tumble around for a few hours(be sure to empty the lint trap every 30 min, it will be full). Then tie/sew the jute twine in little clumps to fill in and customize your color.
If done right, you can change the color scheme be fluffing out the darker strips and tucking the lighter ones under and vice versa. Your ghillie is never "done". It's a constantly evolving piece of art.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Sniper: You'll never guess what I used to die.
Green Food Coloring.
It's messy, but you can vary the amount you mix with water inside of a garbage bag, drop in the bulap and work it around inside the bag. Bring it outside, drain the water, lay the burlapout to dry. You may choose to spraypaint different color streaks across the strips befor cutting them. Vary the length and fray it good and it will look awesome.

As far as motivation goes, do a little at a time. It won't happen overnight. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]
If your going to go bolt, get a 300 winmag Blaser rifle mentioned in a few other threads.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#27]
That Blaser does look pretty sweet, but I had something a little more utilitarian in mind. It looks to me that I would get a Blaser all tangled up in my G-suit! But seriously, yes I will give that fine piece consideration when the time comes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks subvertz, Ill see if I have time to give it a try this weekend.  Now im down to the fastest way to cut strips of burlap!
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Here for those Interested in this type of project as subvertz has shown go to [url]http://www.ghilliesuits.com/build%20_own.htm[/url], Its simple, easy, and probably the best camo for any good hunter or sniper.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Scarecrow,
Thanks for posting that link to ghilliesuits.com.
Have you tried the volleyball netting? The squares look awful big. I was remembering Plaster's first video with a smaller opening net.
Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I used the same net idea, and it works, I used strips of burlap and I made sure I made it nice and thick, The good part about the netting is that it makes a layer in which you can easily put branches and shrubs into. Also I took a Knife and ripped at most of them. Remember when you make a ghilie, nothing in nature when it comes to plans is perfect, there are almost no straight lines and No true patterns, just be random with colors.
A smart idea is to also add in one of those camelbak bags [url]http://www.camelback.com/[/url] for drinking water, cause on a hot day in a ghillie you really get thirsty and fast.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#32]
What I find refreshing is that no one here is questioning my use of a suit. On another forum where I have lurked there is quite an attitude among some of the regulars when someone wants to make one for paintball or hunting.
My style is made for hunting.
I'm going to try the net idea.
Do you have any photos of your G-suit? Close-ups as well as full-lengths would be great?

I use a Camelback and bought Blackhawks newest bladder to replace my old one. I have the Camelback pack that is similiar to B-hawks Predator. Really comes in handy for chasing hogs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#33]
That will definetly be my next purchase, a Camelback. The only places I'll be using my suit are in South Carolina and Louisiana so I'm bound to get pretty thirsty. I also plan on cutting some air hole in the armpits and crotch try for a little circulation.
Talked to BSA today, they're going to swap me out a new scope for the defunct one. Its got Mil-Dot reticles so I can practice my ranging skills. It is nice how nobody has bothered me about the reason behind the G-suit. When they do ask I usually say its so "I can sneak up on the paper better!"  May try it out on paintball soon to see how actual human enemies respond to the camo. Will report.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#35]
OMFG< Yes, it is Twin Ponds!!! You go there Garand? How did you recognize? We have got to get together sometime, say after the gun show this weekend. Do you think I should bring my ghillie to the Boone shoot on Oct 20?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I bet we could facilitate a delivery at the range, I can't believe anyone would try and pull that excuse, hehe!

I think a gun show is a valid reason for a special request chit, don't you? Seriosly, let me know any weekend and I'd love to actually shoot with ya at Twin Ponds(or somewhere else if you know a better place near Charleston)
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Now don't laugh at this...but a buddy of mine was making his ghillie..he started early afternoon (and started drinking beer at the same time)...let's just say that by evening he was pretty much wasted..but wow!..his ghillie was awesome...so, what I figured is that the more he drank the more he did not follow a pattern and just put on random pieces of cloth, burlap..and so on.  It worked for him...anyone else done it this way?

medcop
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I found that trying to post on AR15.com, eat pizza and tie knots in al those @#%**! strings made things random enough. Being slightly artisticly inclined doesnt hurt either.
Probably the reason your buddies came out so good is that it's hard to mess up a ghillie once you have a good base down. Just stay distracted and in this case, tipsy, and it should turn out fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#40]
More ghille suite links [;)]

[url]http://www.legendshobbies.com/70075.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey subvertz what kind of riser is that on your rig.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#42]
That, my friend, is part or the upper. Its a DPMS, Custom paint job by A.T.P. out of Goose Creek, SC The barrel(not pictured is a 24" chromy Douglass by Compass Lake in Alford, FL.
Sniper grip and Simmons Glass thats getting replaced when my BSA 4-16X40 Target Mil-Dot gets back from the shop.
I'll see if I can borrow a camera to get you some updated pics tonight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I think the first pic on this thread has a close up of the same type of upper.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=49336[/url]

[img]http://www.users.qwest.net/~kmichelle12/images/reddotonAR.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, thats what I got. (I wish it was a Tromix)
The riser I mean. Just picked up a Delta cheek rest and a B-Square riser today. Pics should be up tonight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#45]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/027/m0/od/x7/lY29566.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/031/cZ/Wq/tX/lQ40545.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/Wc/OX/7S/hB60172.jpg[/img]
[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/031/Ef/i7/SK/ml93846.jpg[/img]
Just picked up that cheek rest and riser today.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Anybody had any experiance with these Delta cheek rests? I can't get mine to slide down far enough to put the sling ring through the hole. I tried shaving some of the pastic off the inside but it still doesn't fit. Any tips?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top