Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2001 4:16:49 AM EDT
I'm sorry to report this, many of you that own Colt 1911's like I do alreay know this.

For some reason (save money?) Colt for years now has not eased (rounded) off the sharp edges of their slides, especially at the front, where these sharp edges affect the drawing and re-holstering of the weapon.

Yesterday I was fondling a new Colt Gold Cup National Match. Same damn thing! I coulda used that slide to cut glass.

Seems like Colt could at least ease the edges on their top of the line products? [whacko]

JUST WONDERING
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I find your observation to be correct.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
You are missingthe point....look at the versitility. You are in a fine restaurant, yoursteak comes nad it is medium well as mandated by law. They give you a dull knife as they are afraid you will cut yourselfand sue.  Voila.....you whip out your 1911  nad use the slide to cut your steak..... you are welcome
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmm.
good point about the restaurant...

I"m starting to think I'd have a full time job at Colt's back door completing the finish work THEY FORGOT TO DO IN THE FACTORY!!!

Oh well Springfied and Kimber here I come, no more Colts for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I've noticed the same thing, so I always buy stainless Colt 1911s. A few swipes with a fine file and the problem is gone, no refinishing necessary.

I agree though, it is a problem that should be remedied at the factory.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the Springfields are the same way.  I prefer it.  It shows me that they were actually machined not cast.  Its hard to hide a blemish or flaw and have the finished product with crisp edges.  The Kimbers are all nice and smooth becasue they are made from castings, they buff them up to hide the casting marks.  Colt and SA machine theirs from forgings.

I usually dull the edges up though.  Of course I do a lot more than that to them.  I hate 1911's as they come from the factory, I love them after a little bit of TLC.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to say it but you're right. The slide on my 70 series Gold Cup is much sharper than the one on my Springfield. I never noticed it before, but then the Colt has never been in a holster either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
ya springfields are just as sharp

but despite what that guy says, kimber slides and frames are not cast.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
anyone think that ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY???
i LIKE the edges, it shows off the elegant lines of the gun. i HATE that melted or rounded off look to the kimbers cdp or other "carry 1911s".
and if its sharp, then just draw the gun a few times and let "naturally" wear the edges, taking a file to a 1911? ...should git ya strung up

the whole smoothed over look is just a fashion statement/trend/fad to sell more guns, it seems to me that people been carrying the 1911 in a holster for the past 90 years and havent needed the smoothed over edges or melted look.

besides ...if ya cut yer self on the slide then your holding the gun Wrong ...hehehe
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
anyone think that ITS SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY???
i LIKE the edges, it shows off the elegant lines of the gun. i HATE that melted or rounded off look to the kimbers cdp or other "carry 1911s".
and if its sharp, then just draw the gun a few times and let "naturally" wear the edges, taking a file to a 1911? ...should git ya strung up

the whole smoothed over look is just a fashion statement/trend/fad to sell more guns, it seems to me that people been carrying the 1911 in a holster for the past 90 years and havent needed the smoothed over edges or melted look.
View Quote

You obviously haven't spent much time toting a Colt 1911 IWB.

I'm not talking extreme meltdown here, just little breaking of the edges goes a long way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top