Classy nude bars
Babes w/nice tans and large breasts

... and on and on
View Quote

sounds nice [:D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Cnatra,
Coming over to P'cola soon to visit old military buddy... Interested in doin' some shootin?

Kiwi
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I live in San Antonio and commute to Austin. I work for AMD as a enginner, I test third party motherboards. I was at Dell doing the same thing, but was part of the huge layoff in December of 2000. Well Austin has a ton of IT jobs, and San Antonio is a cheap place to live with nice homes at decent prices. Love the mexican food here too. Well we got the CHL and no state specific gun laws that I know of. Lots of good hunting, no big deer but good hunting. When you graduate just send me an E-mail and I will get your resume out if you would like. And by the way Austin if full of hot chicks that make just as much money as you do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
To answer the question I have been asked:

1) Do I want a true Winter ?

...I took Christmas and Summer Vacations To the Mountains of NC & TN, so I know what a real winter is like ...
View Quote

Christmas in NC and TN qualify you as knowing what "real winter" is like?  Try Michigan or NEw England in January!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well I live in San Antonio and commute to Austin. I work for AMD as a enginner, I test third party motherboards. I was at Dell doing the same thing, but was part of the huge layoff in December of 2000. Well Austin has a ton of IT jobs, and San Antonio is a cheap place to live with nice homes at decent prices. Love the mexican food here too. Well we got the CHL and no state specific gun laws that I know of. Lots of good hunting, no big deer but good hunting. When you graduate just send me an E-mail and I will get your resume out if you would like. And by the way Austin if full of hot chicks that make just as much money as you do.
View Quote

Any good headhunters out there to talk to?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
SgtKiwi, most of the ranges around P'cola are members-only except for for the Champions International in Pace on Quinette Road. If you don't mind slow aimed fire then this place is fine. They have a Shotgun, Pistol, and Rifle range (25/50/75/100 Yards). A word of warning though, they recently decided that Pistol-Caliber Carbines should be fired only on the rifle range. But, you can shoot at 25 or 50 Yards so that is no problem. I tried my Carbine at 50 and 100 Yards. Distance is based on where you place your target. They have wooden frames that can be lifted out and placed in slots at 25 Yard increments. One other note, Lane 2 the frame is a little busted up so if you get that lane make sure to push the bottom of the frame as you lift it.

As for the members-only ranges there is Escambia River Muzzle Loaders and Pensacola Rifle & Pistol Club. ERML charges $40 a year I believe. PRPC charges $100 a year. ERML has some stupid 21 and over rule which makes no sense. So, I'll be heading down to P'cola Rifle & Pistol Club on Thurs. Morn. to check them out.

You might also want to try Daphne, AL. It is about 30 minutes from Pensacola (At least when I drive) They are the closest indoor range. Now, in Robertsdale halway between P'cola and Daphne there is a Public Shooting Range called Styx River. I've never been there so I can't advise. Mobile which is on the other side of a 7-mile bridge from Daphne has the Mobile Shooting Center.

If all else fails, rent a boat and go 3 miles (if I'm not mistaken) out and you can shoot whatever the fuck you want because your in international waters.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah stay down in the lower 48 :) We Alaskans are getting to crowded anyway. If you can handle a real winter Alaska is fantastic, lots of places to use your weapons, very liberal gun laws, and then there is that Xmas bonus we Alaskans get every year....
[heavy]

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, I have lived in Florida for 19 Years, but I took Christmas and Summer Vacations To the Mountains of NC & TN, so I know what a real winter is like and actually like it. As long as it isn't too windy.
View Quote

The new england people are rolling on the floors laughing right now. :)

And the bad news, if you're in high tech right now, the job will dictate where you live.  Hop onto dice and search the regional stuff, and it will show you where you stand the highest chance of getting a job.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't come to CT.  Besides high taxes.  Can't transfer preban firearms or bring them into the state if you move here.  You can keep them if you owned them in the state before the law took effect. Post ban OK.  You can buy Class 3 weapons if they don't have a selector switch.  Not overly difficult to get a carry permit which is neeeded to purchase or own a handgun. Lots of deer but they're all on private land but almost impossible to get landowner permission.  Did I mention high taxes?  How about cold winters?  Do you know how to operate a snow blower?  It's not fun trying to chip ice off your car at 7:00am in 0 degree weather to get to work.  I'ld pick someplacce with a warmer climate and more gun and hunter friendly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I have lived in Louisiana for about the last 30 years or so. Gun laws are great. Anything that is legal by fed law is legal under state law such as silencers, high cap mags, full auto, etc. Your vehicle is an extension of your home so you can carry that loaded gun under your seat, in your glove box, whereever you want in your car. Additionally we now have a Concealed Carry Law for civilians which is quite easy to get I am told.

That all being said, the summers are brutal, heat and humidity will kill you. Heck summer last about 9 months. We rank 49th or 50th every year in everything that's good and and 1rst or 2nd in everything that is bad such as illiteracy, teen pregnancy, people in jail, etc. We are constantly competing with Mississippi for these titles. We have more people in prison per 100,000 population than any state in the union. I can tell you why these situations are as they are but I won't as I don't care to get my account locked.

I have been an LEO for over 20 years now and only have a few years left until retirement. I am currently looking to move to either Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, or Utah. Two decades of Law Enforcement has made me quite anti social I admit therefore I am looking for states that are sparsely populated along with cool weather and lack of humidity.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
You must really hate Florida! To answer your questions: Florida does not ban "assault weapons", does not ban hi-cap mags, a concealed permit is easy to get, no problem with handguns, no license is required to purchase, there is no registration, and ClassIII is just fine if you have the bucks.  The only other state that might more gun-friendly than Florida is Vermont.  Have fun with the 7 months of winter!
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SgtKiwi, most of the ranges around P'cola are members-only except for for the Champions International in Pace on Quinette Road. If you don't mind slow aimed fire then this place is fine. They have a Shotgun, Pistol, and Rifle range (25/50/75/100 Yards). A word of warning though, they recently decided that Pistol-Caliber Carbines should be fired only on the rifle range. But, you can shoot at 25 or 50 Yards so that is no problem. I tried my Carbine at 50 and 100 Yards. Distance is based on where you place your target. They have wooden frames that can be lifted out and placed in slots at 25 Yard increments. One other note, Lane 2 the frame is a little busted up so if you get that lane make sure to push the bottom of the frame as you lift it.

As for the members-only ranges there is Escambia River Muzzle Loaders and Pensacola Rifle & Pistol Club. ERML charges $40 a year I believe. PRPC charges $100 a year. ERML has some stupid 21 and over rule which makes no sense. So, I'll be heading down to P'cola Rifle & Pistol Club on Thurs. Morn. to check them out.

You might also want to try Daphne, AL. It is about 30 minutes from Pensacola (At least when I drive) They are the closest indoor range. Now, in Robertsdale halway between P'cola and Daphne there is a Public Shooting Range called Styx River. I've never been there so I can't advise. Mobile which is on the other side of a 7-mile bridge from Daphne has the Mobile Shooting Center.

If all else fails, rent a boat and go 3 miles (if I'm not mistaken) out and you can shoot whatever the fuck you want because your in international waters.
View Quote

Wanted to see if you wanted to get together to do some shooting.  I grew up in Pensacola, so I am familiar with the places you mentioned.  I  Come over about once a month or so to visit friends/relatives.  I live in Panama City.  I don't know if there are any other members nearby, but maybe we could get a small group together before you move.

Kiwi
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Actually Florida is one of the Moderate States. Vermont is a very open state. Moderate States such as Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. ban Open Carry w/o a liscense and shall issue lisences at 21. Yes, we still allow AWs and MGs. Open states like Idaho, Utah, Louisiana, Mississippi etc. allow open carry w/o a lisence, permit AWs and MGs. Very Open states like Vermont allow everything.

Don't fool yourself Florida isn't this great land of the free unless you compare it to Restrictive States Such as SC, NC, VA, WA, OR, etc. or Extremely Restrictive States such as CA, IL, KS, OH, WI, HI, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, and MD where they Ban AWs, Class-3, and in some have no CCW

Extremely Restrictive: CA, IL, KS, OH, WI, MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, HI, DC, and MD

Restrictive: SC, NC, VA, WA, OR, IA, MO, DE, NM, MN, and MI

Moderate: FL, GA, PA, AL, TX, IN, OK, CO, NE, and AZ

Open: MS, ID, LA, TN, KY, NH, AR, SD, ND, UT, MT, WY, AK, and NV

Very Open: VT
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#14]
SgtKiwi, when are you coming to town ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...I took Christmas and Summer Vacations To the Mountains of NC & TN, so I know what a real winter is like ...
View Quote

Christmas in NC and TN qualify you as knowing what "real winter" is like?  Try Michigan or NEw England in January!!
View Quote

No shit!  I think he means he knows what a Michigan summer is like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#16]
sluuuuuurulurrlrlrlrrlllr........

My frontal lobatomy funded by glendenning tells me that MD is the best state in the country....

sluuururrurulrulrulru...
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have refined my list to:

1) Vermont
2) New Hampshire
3) Pennsylvania
4) Virginia
5) Indiana
6) Kentucky
7) Tennessee
8) Texas
9) Mississippi
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
The top 5 of that list are good choices. In Indiana you're near alot of lakes and different areas. Southern Indiana has milder winters because you are away from the Lake Michigan cold, plus it has Holiday World. If you can afford it, Vermont and New Hampshire are nice (NH being less expensive and having a costal area). I have family in PA and am partial to it. There are alot of nice areas. Heard VA is nice. Look at online classifieds in the areas you are looking at and look for the demand for your field of work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#19]
    You May want to check out Arkansas the wages are not the highest in the world and the cost of living is sorta high but we can go out and shoot just about anywhere its real rural and the people are really the nicest ive seen gun laws are not even restictive here at all just fed regs                                          c

Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]
How come no one said Montana?

For IT type jobs, send a resume' to www.stream.com , an it consulting firm in Kalispell, with about 800 employees and looking to hire another 250.

One thing though, the winter here is a little different to the "real winter" you have experienced in NC/ Tenn

Ed
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Restrictive: SC, NC, VA, WA, OR, KS, IA, MO, DE, NM, MN, and MI

Moderate: FL, GA, PA, AL, TX, OK, CO, NE, and AZ
View Quote

Hey , can you fill me in on WA , I've been kicking around moving there.
I'm currently in TX
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cnatra,
Coming over to P'cola soon to visit old military buddy... Interested in doin' some shootin?
Kiwi
View Quote

ME ??  
I'm in TX near Houston , you in TX or FL ??
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Cnatra, according to [url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/[/url] WA bans Machine Guns, Short Barrel Rifles, Sawed-Off Shotguns, and Silencers if on a gun.

BTW, I think SgtKiwi got us mixed up when you said it sounds nice he thought you were me or something.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cnatra, according to [url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/[/url] WA bans Machine Guns, Short Barrel Rifles, Sawed-Off Shotguns, and Silencers if on a gun.

BTW, I think SgtKiwi got us mixed up when you said it sounds nice he thought you were me or something.
View Quote

CooL , THX for info. & link

Yeah, I kinda figured that's what happened[:D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Additionaly, I don't like that Florida bans Dragon Breaths, Flachettes, Bolos, Exploders, etc. Florida is listed alongside California, Illinois, and New York in many of those cases and sometimes Just Kali. and NYC.

Florida is pretty good about guns but our politicos run scared when any ammo. gets the "Cop Killer" distinction.

I'm looking for a land of true freedom where I can just order something and only have to worry about it being legal Federally. Florida parallels the Feds for the most part including an exact replica of the Federal definition of Class 3 Firearms. But, sometimes they can be unreasonable.

I'll define the Categories though:

Very Restrictive: Kalifornia Like. Need I Say More. These states outright ban many weapons for no appearant reason and in most if not all cases these states also allow a single person to add wepons to the banned list of guns. These states also include any state that denies Concealed Carry outright.

Restrictive: These states generally ban Class-3 Firearms or severely restrict them beyond Federal Controls. The may also have extensive discretion in issuing Concealed Carry Permits. Some may have limits on gun purchases at one time or over a specific period. Even thought they don;t have outright bans on some classes of guns, they may still restrict them with discretionary permits.

Moderate: These states generally have shall issue or less discretionary issuance of Concealed Carr Permits. They strictly adhere to and duplicate Federal laws in their respective states with some notable exceptions. In addition many of these states ban or severely resrict open carry with vaguely worded laws. For example I probably should have put AR and TN in this category because of their vague laws regarding open carry, but they are generally more open in other areas.

Open: Open States will permit anything the Feds permit. They generally allow open carry within "reason". They also respect the sanctity of ones vehicle by providing exceptions for vehicluar carry. With the exception of LA, whom I don't believe can actually enforce their ban on Concealed Carry within one's home w/o a lisence.

Very Open: The Polar Opposite of Kalifornia. Vermont has almost no gun laws, leaving firearms laws up to the federal government. In many cases possession of unregistered Class-3 firearms is a misdeameanor punishable by in the case of Silencers a $5 fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Indiana is moderate. You can have class III, suppressors, and SBR's, but handguns are a 7 day wait and require a permit (a different one to own and take to range, one to carry).
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#27]
If you can afford a $3-450,000+ home and the job market is good for your field, move to Vermont.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top