Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2001 10:12:42 AM EDT
Anyone have a long-distance phone carrier that charges five cents a minute?
Would like to get rid of AOL. The only real perk has been the long distance phone charges on my home number.
Please help, don't want to support them longer than I have to
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.gtctelecom.com[/url]

5 cents a min. out of state - 8 cents a min. on in state calls.  No monthly fee if billing to your credit card or $1.95 a month if you receive a paper billing statement.  We've been very happy them.  Sprint, MCI & AT&T all shut up when you 'I'm with GTC.'

Their # - 800-486-4030
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sprint is definetly anti gun. When I found out I dropped them after about 4yrs. Plus they charged $5.95 plus the per minute charge. Just seen it again in the last couple of days they were a donater. Don't know about AT&T or MCI.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Google came up with this:

[url]http://www.jpfo.org/helpjpfo.htm[/url]

I'm going to look into it. At least some of my money will get kicked back to an RKBA organization.

Most of my LD calls are business related so my anti RKBA employer will be supporting an RKBA org. Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Check this site:

[url]http://abtolls.com/[/url]

Long distance phone rate comparisons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't had a long distance provider for two years.  I use the over the counter phone cards and love them.
You can buy a card that generally fits your typical long distance call.
For instance: I don't make a huge amount of l.d. calls, but when I do they are quite long.  The "front end load" (usually first minute) on the ones I buy cost more, but after that first minute I'm @ less than .04 / minute.  Consequently a $20.00 card last me a long time.
There are only two negatives for me.  1.  The local phone company charges me something over a dollar a month for NOT having a l.d. carrier. DUH!!!! (What a SCAM!)
If you call from a pay phone, they load the front end a little bit more, but not bad.
Works for all the lower 48, same rate, no matter what the distance.
If your situation is reversed from mine, you can buy cards with lower front end, higher per minute, etc.
Worth a try IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have a Costco membership they sell prepaid cards at 4.1c per minute- NO ADDITIONAL FEES!

Can't touch that!
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy long distance phone cards (AT&T) at my local Sam's Club.  They are $20 for 500 minutes.  That's only $.04 a minute, and you can use the card anywhere, at home, office, or vacation.  You can also refill your minutes with a credit card when they expire.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys....

Goodbye AOL!
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
A company called Life Line contributes 10 percent of all revenues to Gun Owners of America (GOA).  Their phone number is

[b]1-800-311-2811[/b]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you have a Costco membership they sell prepaid cards at 4.1c per minute- NO ADDITIONAL FEES!
View Quote

Unfortunately, these cards are from Sprint.

MCI used to be the phone-card supplier, but they refuse to go below 5.9 cents per minute despite Sprint undercutting them.

By the way, AT&T has engaged in anti-gun activities in the past as well.

I'm not sure if MCI/Worldcom has a stance in either direction.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Excel is a good company, they have a deal for church members in which for every 3 members that drop their present carrier and go with them, they cut the church a check for $100. In this day & age I seriously doubt any company that would do that would be anti second amendment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top