Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2001 7:39:33 PM EDT
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/SPECTRE%2F574609%2Ejpg[/img]

Coming Soon to a neighborhood near you !!!!!
The local welcome wagon.
WERE ONLY HERE TO HELP !!!!!
[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/shootout.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't worry, ill come over with a 20mm lathi.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
to any LEO on here:

BTW, the Peacekeeper (the vehicle in the photo) is vulnerable to 30-06 AP, FWIW.
View Quote

No wonder they don't like 50s!!  Levels the field a bit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got my list of Curio firearms I am allowed to buy. I can buy WWI Anti-tank rifles legally. How cool is that?

Where do you buy Anti-tank rifles? I haven't seen them in the SOG ad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmmmmm  if I had to hold them off I think the M60 would be a problem ….

Although 10 rounds of 40mm tear gas would slow them down..
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmmmmmmm  if I had to hold them off I think the M60 would be a problem ….

Although 10 rounds of 40mm tear gas would slow them down..
View Quote

Especially if you apply tactics from the lessons
learned at Waco, & SoCal yesterday.  Make sure
the tear gas is of the incendiary variety....

One through the hatch, anybody???
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
to any LEO on here:

Can you actually defend civilian law enforcemnet carrying M-60's? Where do we draw the line? TOW missles?

BTW, the Peacekeeper (the vehicle in the photo) is vulnerable to 30-06 AP, FWIW.
View Quote

Hmmmmmm, Damn good question. Any LEO's care to comment ???
OH, and BTW, Please tell me again the differences between LEO's and the military ???
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OH, and BTW, Please tell me again the differences between LEO's and the military ???
View Quote

The military is more likely to act with good
judgement.  In yesterday's event, they probably
would have tossed flash-bang grenades (similar
to LEO [i]"diversionary devices"[/i]) through
the windows and cleared the house room by room.

[i]As opposed to the LEO "burn it to the ground"
approach....  I bet they learned it from watching the final scene of "Young Guns"[/i]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW...

The SD Sheriff's Dept. does not own any 60's, 249's, etc (and I can't name any LE Agency that does...waaaay too much liability).  That's NOT an operational photo.  It's called staged publicity (altho' in bad taste IMO).  I've seen this kind of thing before, especially when someone gets themselves a new toy from another agency, they "dress up" to show it off.  Relax, not everything's a conspiracy.

And in a barricade situation, waiting them out is preferrable to going in.  That's a last resort.  That whole "buring things down" bull is just plain stupid sounding anymore.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The police deserve to use any military equipment they want as it helps them return home safely to their families at night.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FWIW...

The SD Sheriff's Dept. does not own any 60's, 249's, etc (and I can't name any LE Agency that does...waaaay too much liability).  That's NOT an operational photo.  It's called staged publicity (altho' in bad taste IMO).  I've seen this kind of thing before, especially when someone gets themselves a new toy from another agency, they "dress up" to show it off.  Relax, not everything's a conspiracy.

And in a barricade situation, waiting them out is preferrable to going in.  That's a last resort.  That whole "buring things down" bull is just plain stupid sounding anymore.

-SARguy
View Quote

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/SPECTRE%2F575304%2Ejpg[/img]
Does it still look like a staged publicity photo SARguy ??? This is a closer shot of the top of that welcome wagon.

Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The M-60 is on a L.A.County Sheriff vehicle. Some of the others are L.A.P.D.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does it still look like a staged publicity photo SARguy ??? This is a closer shot of the top of that welcome wagon.
View Quote

Well, at the risk of sounding rational here...

1.)  Where did you get the photos?  I'd like the original source so I can judge for myself.  I don't put much stock in photos without documentation.

2.)  The likelihood of a civilian agency having M-60's is remote.  From both a PR and an operational standpoint it's taboo.  60's would bring way too much liability to a dept... something a city attorney would never allow.

3.)  My unit has trained with SWAT guys.  Guess what?  We've run weapons familiarization with them.  Why?  In case things like that are stolen from us so they know how to operate (i.e. make safe) the weapon.

4.)  I'm not saying SWAT needs this kind of weapon.  But the fact is, this is something that would not stand.  A dept would never bring anything like this out operationally.  There's no use for something like that in SWAT opreations and teams know it.

5.)  It;s not some scheme to put machineguns, rockets, etc into LE hands.  Again, from a liability standpoint, no city would do that.

-SARguy
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Next thing you know, in the not too distant future, we'll all be safe and snug with PD and SO APCs on every corner dutifully scanning their fields of fire with their 20MM autocannons.  Yup, safe and snug...

Think its far fetched?  Yeah, just radical paranoia I guess...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, at the risk of sounding rational here...

1.)  Where did you get the photos?  I'd like the original source so I can judge for myself.  I don't put much stock in photos without documentation.

2.)  The likelihood of a civilian agency having M-60's is remote.  From both a PR and an operational standpoint it's taboo.  60's would bring way too much liability to a dept... something a city attorney would never allow.

3.)  My unit has trained with SWAT guys.  Guess what?  We've run weapons familiarization with them.  Why?  In case things like that are stolen from us so they know how to operate (i.e. make safe) the weapon.

4.)  I'm not saying SWAT needs this kind of weapon.  But the fact is, this is something that would not stand.  A dept would never bring anything like this out operationally.  There's no use for something like that in SWAT opreations and teams know it.

5.)  It;s not some scheme to put machineguns, rockets, etc into LE hands.  Again, from a liability standpoint, no city would do that.

-SARguy
View Quote

SARguy, L.A. Times.
www.latimes.com/news/local/la-pg-shoot.photogallery
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Why is it that a M-60 would be bad PR and burning a house down isn't?

Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why is it that a M-60 would be bad PR and burning a house down isn't?

View Quote

Burning a house down?  Oh, that's just their way...  Its nothing personal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-SARguy
View Quote

WTF are you talking about, SARguy? You'd be surprised at just how many law enforcement agencies have gotten APCs, machineguns, grenade launchers, and heaps upon heaps of TA50 and body armor from the military through the 1033/Northstar Program. Almost half of the state and local departments in the country have. It's public knowledge.

You put your foot in your mouth this time. What teams did you say you worked with?

The APCs definately have a use for downed officer and civilian rescue.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Just to lighten the mood somewhat.

Can´t pinpoint the exact place or name of the perp, but someone who climbed atop a building and shot people from there, when the police were unable to stop him a CH46 was called and the M60D gunner made him swiss cheese. I read about that incident in John Plaster´s Ultimate Sniper, early 80s i think was the time of the incident.

So, who says M60s don´t have a legitimate use in LE. [:)]

Corrected some sad spelling there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
to any LEO on here:

Can you actually defend civilian law enforcemnet carrying M-60's? Where do we draw the line? TOW missles?

View Quote

Well since LEO's are civilians they shouldbe able to carry anything that other civilians could have. Why should they have to justify which weapons they carry to YOU. Next YOU will have to justify which weapons you have to THEM
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I never anticipate the need for belt fed weapons.

But if you want to restrict the weapons civilian LE can own you are by extension restricting civilian ownership of weapons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Not to worry folks. When I was stationed at Minot in the 80's the missile cops used those in the field. If they break down as often as they did in North Dakota, They would never make it to the scene of the crime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top