Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2001 10:08:15 AM EDT
Here's the story, yesterday morning I find a gray rat in the maid's pantry (washer/dryer room), sitting on the top shelf.

So now I get the cat, who is busy eating some morning chow, and shove her on the top shelf.  At first she's really pissed off and won't stay up there, until she sees the rat.  I'm thinkin "Oh boy, the rats toast".  The rat jumps off the shelf and hides under the dryer.  The cat follows but runs out the doggie door, loosing the rat.

Later that night... the cat sees the rat sitting on top a drape, so I knock it down and the cats on top of the rat.  I'm now helping out trying to corner the rat, again thinking "the rats toast".  Well I sorta hit the rat, who runs down the hall with the cat following it.  I'm now wondering about the cat since it let the rat loose in the master's bedroom.

Long story shot, the cat's a chicken-shit and now I need to shoot the rat.

I can either make a load, poping the top off a .22, reducing the load, and adding some shot or a pellet, OR  purchase the reduced load .22
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Easier yet, stop feeding the cat, your rat problem will miraculesly dissappear.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you make it a pet? [;)]

I've actually had really good luck with just some Victor rat traps.  Put them around where you see his droppings, it usually only takes one or two nights.  Good luck.

If you really want to shoot it I would just go get some CB rounds, they are only about as loud as a pellet gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a .177 or .22 pellet gun?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Gat a gnarlier cat, or use any air gun, or CB caps in your .22.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1626477&a=12428937&p=50554463&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

The one on the right kills dozens of rats every year, even BIG ones that I wouldn't get anywhere near.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
30mm Chaingun?

Might need a new house after that, come to think of it.....never mind.

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Simple. In order to "heighten" the cats desire to catch and eat the rat simply corner it and drench it in the juice from the cheapest can of tuna you can find. Just remember to be careful that [i]you[/i] do not come home some night after having a few too many and mistake it for..........well, never mind.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#7]
call Sylvester:

[img]www.americanroyalarts.com/library/vr29.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#8]
You need a  big mean tomcat....
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Rat traps will likely work OK but they won't distinguish between a rat and the cat - careful where you put 'em.  I've used peanut butter, cranberries and cheese as bait with good success.  If you found one rat you probably have a hundred...

I'm waging a war against mice at my place - so far the kills are split three equal ways between the cat, an assortment of traps and my hand to hand combat skills.  Tried poison too, but either I've got a lot of mice or the poison isn't working very well - they're eating a lot of it and tracking it everywhere but I've yet to find an expired mouse from this method.  The traditional mechanical traps work best - I've had no luck at all with the 'sticky' type.  Two varieties of live catch traps have been similarly ineffective.  My hands and feet, a knife and a cleaning rod have all been used successfully as weapons of opportunity.  Can't recommend the barefoot approach.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Use the .22 on that POS cat and then get a rat trap. Bait the trap with chunky peanut butter making sure that you wedge a piece of peanut into the bait holder so the little fu(ker has to work at it. After you catch it rebait just incase.

I aint joking about the cat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Had that problem in a summer house. Used a live trap, baited with peanut butter. After the rat was caught, filled a garbage can with water. Tossed the trap+ rat in. Put lid on. Had beer. Dumped can. Dumped dead rat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
You could always take the BATF approach - torch the house and shoot them as they exit.

Or, just contain the cat and use the Victor traps. It's your choice....
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Use the .22 on that POS cat and then get a rat trap.

I aint joking about the cat.
View Quote

That's too easy, so maybe get the dog to perform the dirty work.

The cat's a good bird hunter and I've found a few dead mice in the backyard.  Maybe the rat's something new.

Strange feeling having planned so many days for a SHTF scenaro, and then not having the correct weapon.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/TN/6e/8R/Rl22262.jpg[/img]

[img][/

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a drum that is extremely smooth on the inside, too high for the rat to jump out of, put a piece of chicken in it and keep the cat away......you`ll have your rat.........[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought one of these bad boys.  They really work and are fun to use.  As easy as pressing a button.  [url]http://www.agrizap.com/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top