Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2001 8:19:42 AM EDT
A few years ago there was an incident I believe in africa where our marines were basically refused backup/support and were massacred then drug through the streets. I wanted to revisit this day in my newsletter and write a couple of articles but I can't seem to find anything on it. Can anyone point me to a website or articles or something?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you're referring to the Army Rangers who were killed in Mogadishu, in Somalia, back in 1993, during the Clinton presidency on one of his more famous 'meals on wheels' debacles.

Sure Bush the First started it, but Clinton kept it going long after it was necessary.

Go to [url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ambush/[/url] if you don't mind getting material from that left wing Frontline show on PBS!

Eric The(IfYouCanCallItA'Presidency')Hun[>]:)
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
This was on the board the other day:
[url]http://www.philly.com/packages/somalia/nov16/default16.asp[/url]

Good site!
Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Read the book Blackhawk Down. Tells the whole story in vivid detail.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]
that's the one.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#6]
That's right, Sweep. We lost 18 brave, tough men that day, but losses among the Somalis were estimated at between 1000 and 1500.

Your four points are also spot-on.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, the Italian commander rejected requests for armor.

I still remember those guys being dragged through the street.

Semper Fi!

Ken Little
View Quote

They ended up getting some Maylasians or something to drive their APCs in there, and Rangers had to hold guns to the vehicle commanders' heads, according to BHD.

Of course, if Clinton and Aspin had un-assed the M1A1s and APCs that the ground commanders were begging for, we wouldn't be having this conversation now. Armor is a [b]necessity[/b] when attempting to pacify a built up area, especially when the locals are not heavily armed. RPGs and RPKs would have had the same affect on an M1A1 that the Polish Cavalry had on Panzers during the Blitzkrieg.

I'll never forget the sight of those Rangers being drug through the streets and tossed around either. We should have brought in a bigger hammer at that point.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#9]
One other FUBAR was to pull off the AC130s away. According to the TFRs i have spoken at [url]www.cinemayhem.com[/url] BHD forum, it could have made a decisive impact on the Somalis and their roadblocks, which would have aided for a more rapid exfil or the rapid arrival of backup.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
As has been pointed out it wasn't the Marines and the SF snd Rangers (also a few PJs and SEALS) didn't get massacred but gave a very good account of themselves.  One could make a good argument that it is they who did the massacring.

Lots of things could ahve helped, a mech/armor team in back-up, Spectre, a bn+ of the 101st with a heavy gunship compliment, and a MEU floating off the coast.

Best would probably have been a foreing policy put togther by people with a collective IQ higher than 32 that weren't heavily into mind altering substances.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The Marines did some combined arms raids/attacks prior to the hand over of control to the Army.  But when the Marines did the attacks, they had tanks, helos, LAVs,  AMTRACs and grunt involved.  That is the one benefits of always fighting as a MAGTF, we bring all the combat toys to play with us every time, vice having to go to the UN and ask for assistance to help American troops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top