Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2001 6:55:18 AM EDT
Hey all, I'm just starting to get in to ar's and I may be buying my first one in a few days.
It's a Essential Arms Pre-ban thats been fitted with a dpms flattop bull barrell upper. He want's $800 for it. Is that a good price?? Is the quality good?? Need some help guy's. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, I love your screen name...LOL

Make sure that it is an actually preban lower.   You may be able to call the manufactor with the SN and have them varify that it is. Check overall fit and finish, especially bolt carrier and chamber area. Check spacing between upper and lower reciever. Look for signs that it was well maintained.  Check the muzzle crown to see if it has been dropped.

If it is a preban it is definitely worth $800.  As a post ban I would say it is about $150-200 over priced (being used and all).  If you can take it to the range and shoot it, that will tell you more then anything else.

Good luck, and welcome to the dark side.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You can find this info at the "Pre/Post Ban Serial Number Repository".  home1.gte.net/bblakley/ban/#Essential

Essential Arms
(tooling bought by DPMS 1-800-578-3767)
Per DPMS, Essential Arms went out of business prior to the ban and hence, all Essential Arms lower receivers should be pre-ban.

I hope this helps.

David
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I may be off base here but for the price of a good 2 stage trigger more you could have a brand new Rock River Arms varmit gun in 24", 20" or 16", and get a  good trigger included.
You'll want one more than likely.
There are listed at 950.00 and I bet if you contact:
Donnie Pridemore @ SABLE CO.
1117 Deer Run Rd.
Port Byron, IL. 61275
(309)496-3030
(253)595-5271 Fax
he can get you one for less and you won't have to wonder whether your buying somebody elses problem.
Of course there is the pre-ban issue, but I like new over used anyday, provided it don't cost an arm & a leg more.

just a thought.......

Mike

edited duhh, can't spell
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#4]
All EAs should be pre-ban.

Q : What is smoreplay?
A: It's what smurfs do before they smuck! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you REALLY NEED a pre-ban for?  Other than looks (which can be faked), there is no reason for it.

I agree with the post that suggested a Rock River Arms rifle, and about contacting Donnie Pridemore.  Here's the catch--Donnie doesn't have an FFL so he can't sell you the lower receiver...but can sell you everything else.  

So, get the best deal from Donnie on a full-blown kit, and get a stripped lower from Gunsmoke in Florida (between $110 and $125 shipped probably).  The total cost will be less than $700 I bet...and you'll get the pleasure and knowledge of assembling the rifle yourself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Because you're such a newbie, you might as well be safe and get yourself a new Bushmaster.  You can't go wrong there.  Shoot it and learn more about AR's, then you might be in a better educated position to accurately access the validity of claims made about pre-ban AR's and they're associated features and prices.  But at this point, because you know so little (no flame, just extrapolating from you statements) you're probably just gonna get ripped-off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top