Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2001 5:57:02 AM EDT
I have a Ruger P89 I love but it is too large for a CCW. I was thinking of KP95 or a Glock 19.

Can I get a polymer paddle type holster and cheap factory high cap mags for the KP95?

I like the Glock 19 but $100 for high cap mags is expensive. The Ruger is also a lot less to buy than the Glock.

Any feed back would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a P95 DOA. It is still too big for CCW.
Want to know what carrying it is like:
Put a brick in a holster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a KP95 that I use as one of my carry pistols, either hip or shoulder holster.  No larger than a Glock.  The preban hicap 9mm Ruger mags will work and are not all that expensive compared to some other brands.  You can also use some of the P94 .40 cal mags as hicap 9mm mags.  The newer .40 cal mags have been pinched to get around this, but the older .40 cal mags are out there and are cheap.  The .40 cal mags also work as hicap 9mm mags in my P89 that I also carry in hip or shoulder shoulder.  Maybe I am larger than you, but I don't find any of the P series Rugers too big nor any of my Sigs.  None of them are any larger than a 1911 and people use those for CCW all the time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think the P95 would be a bad choice, it's certainly lighter than the P89!  While being a big Glock advocate the fact you already have the P89 is a good reason to get the P95, it's always nice to know you can use your P89 mags in the 95.

If you really like the G19 then by all means get one, you'll love it!  The NDF G19 hi-caps can be found for $55-65 and the DF's can sometimes be found as low as $70 though usually found for $80+/-.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
None of them are any larger than a 1911 and people use those for CCW all the time.
View Quote

I have the sneaking suspicion that there are a lot more people who talk about carrying a 1911 concealed than actually do it.  Unless you're a pretty big guy, a concealed 1911 carried 24/7 is a whole bunch of work and discomfort.  (Yes, I have).
In the real, day-to-day world, it's enough of a trick to be reasonably safe, comfortable and concealed with a K9 or J-frame.

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Some time ago, when my wife shipped her sidearm off for some work for a couple of weeks, she carried my Glock 19 and I took the opportunity to carry a borrowed Ruger P95 and a Sig 220.

The Ruger is somewhat similar to the G19 though the stock extended a little bit further.  I had to "dress around" the P95 a little, but it still wasn't difficult to conceal.  It wasn't much of a pain to carry at all...unobtrusive, stayed out of the way.

The trigger didn't feel as refined as a number of other pistols I've shot, but the P95 I shot was [i]very[/i] accurate.  I'm not sure if that's indicative of other P95's, but that one hit anything I aimed at....even when doing very fast shooting.  Reliable too.  With the bargain prices that they can be had...I've been considering a P95 as a alternative.

I'm still much more comfortable with my Glock 19.  While it's not teeny-tiny, I can conceal it no problem wherever I wish to go with whatever I wish to wear. Still takes a little forethought, but it conceals great.

As a side note...the Sig P220 was very well made...definitely on my wish list! (or a P229).  Also concealable, a dream to shoot, though my followup shots while staying on target were not as fast as they are on the Glock possibly due to the different felt recoil of the .45 cartridge.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Always remember, the important thing is having the weapon with you...a gun can  get pretty heavy and inconvient in the middle of August.Even the Glock 19 is a little large... I use the Glock 26   9mm and feel it is a good compromise. Good Luck....
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some time ago, when my wife shipped her sidearm off for some work for a couple of weeks, she carried my Glock 19 and I took the opportunity to carry a borrowed Ruger P95 and a Sig 220......

.....The trigger didn't feel as refined as a number of other pistols I've shot, but the P95 I shot was [i]very[/i] accurate.  I'm not sure if that's indicative of other P95's, but that one hit anything I aimed at....even when doing very fast shooting.  Reliable too.  With the bargain prices that they can be had...I've been considering a P95 as a alternative.

- Robbie
View Quote

I have both the Sig P220 and the Ruger P95, as well as other Sigs and Rugers.  The P95 you borrowed is indicative of other P95's, as well as the Ruger P series in general.  All that I have and have had have been both accurate and reliable.

You are correct in that the P220 is a dream to shoot.  Get one of those and try to find a P228, which is now LEO only per Sig policy.  Granted it would be used as a result of the aforementioned policy, but if you can find one in good shape, it is worth it.  Besides, it costs a little less being used.  It is only available in 9mm, but it is sweet.  The same size as a 229, but a lighter slide.  I got mine and a friend of mine's girlfriend fired it and loved it and we found her one.  She replaced a Sig P232 in .380 with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Saleen,

I have one for sale on the Equipment Exchange.

New KP 95, unfired, no box, will come with the 2 x 10 rd. mags and 2 x 15 rd. Pro-mags.  This is the decocker version.

E-mail me if interested.  I had a dealer tell me he wanted it but then have had no contact from him, and I haven't been able to reach him by phone to verify if he sent funds or not.

PS--check out prices elsewhere and compare what I am asking for it.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for your great replys.

I stopped buy a new gun store by the house on my way home from work. The guy took my Bersa .380 as trade torwards a new Glock 19 he has in stock. Hopefully by the end of September I will have it out of layaway. ;-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top