Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2001 9:02:50 PM EDT
I've been meaning to take my .22 Romanian training rifle apart for a while and "modify" it some, and started tonight since I'm currently unemployed and have a lot of time on my hands. I started sanding the stock and lo and behold, there's some very pretty wood under all that lacquer and paint. I think it's just pine, but it's a nice change from that crappy brown color. Does anybody know what kind of wood that is? Just curious. Also, does anybody know where I could get higher-cap mags for it? Having to reload every seven shots is getting old.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Your, right, the wood is pretty nice. Not sure what kind it is, though. I got my Romanian through Wholesale Guns. I was thinking about refinishing mine, but after I cleaned up the stock, it came out looking pretty nice. My problem is that I need a new extractor for mine. It will not eject worth a damn. I can't seem to find anybody who has this part. As far as magazines go, all I have ever seen is the 5-shot mags that are Taiwanese manufacture. I have not had very good luck with these mags at all. Looking for some original Romanian mags- no luck either. I don't think higher cap magazines for this rifle exist.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Got mine aff a buddy for $60. The only problem I've had is failure to feed from some cheap Taiwanese 7 shot mags the he'd gotten from a gun store. Five minutes with a screwdriver and I had them in reasonable working order.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've already stripped 3 of mine. Not sure of the wood, but I do know that the rifles from the 70's used a much better grain than the ones from the 80's. I have a really nice one that I working on that will get nothing but a clear tung oil type finish.

I also lucked out and had two with original magazines - not the cheap taiwan versions that will go too far into the receiver. I haven't seen anyone offer higher capacity magazines for sale - just the taiwan ones for about $15. At that price, you might as well just get another gun!

Did yours come with the cleaning kit in the stock?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
No I didn't get the cleaning kit, but I only pay about $6-$10 for mags, depending on which shop I go to. I've been told that Ruger MK2 mags will work, but I haven't had a chance to try them. Kind of scared to, actually.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you know why they covered up the nice wood on those guns?

Paint and laquer containing high amounts of lead were put on those stocks because the Romanians found out later that they were made from trees harvested in a forest near Chernobyl.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
On the one hand that kind of worries me, but until a few days ago I worked at a nuclear plant. I should be okay.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you know why they covered up the nice wood on those guns?

Paint and laquer containing high amounts of lead were put on those stocks because the Romanians found out later that they were made from trees harvested in a forest near Chernobyl.
View Quote

cool!
now im gonna have to find one and frisk it for contamination just to see for myself.
nah, yer probly just joking
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a guess, but the wood might be birch.  Birch is used extensively here in the States for stocks on lower cost rifles and shotguns.  It’s true color is almost white with no grain to speak of.  It is almost always stained.  It is fairly hard, somewhat brittle, and it finishes and stains nicely.  

Beech is another possibility, though I don’t know much about it.

I doubt your stock is pine, but I guess anything is possible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey TK, where ya from in AR?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont mean this negatively at all, but probably your best bet is to sell it and buy a 10-22. Will be a better investment in the long run for you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
im guessing you worked at ano too?
small world huh..
right now im down in danville,getting fat waiting hit the road on the next outage run.

i was with S&W before going into eddycurrent.
if ya ever come down to the peeler gap shootin range...im the guy with with the AR15's [:o)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd like a 10/22 as well just to be like Imbroglio, but this was cheap and available at the time. I still haven't actually paid for it. Besides, I like having a bolt action. Not for everything, but I really like this one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
TK, when did you work there? I was in security from 12/2000 till last week. I might know you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]

looks like you got out of there quick. smart move.
i cut out of there around the same time you showed up so we might have met. after about 5 years of that place can't say i miss it but the money was the best around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Wheres a good place to get a Romanian trainer now a days?What kind of accuracy are you guys getting, can you mount a scope? Looking for a urban sniper Rifle for Rabbits and Squirells.. Thanks!

-Jared
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top