Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2001 5:59:37 PM EDT
    Another semester at my ultra liberal campus, I hope I can bear it for one more year.  I have always felt uncomfortable on campus being as conservative as I am, but I think my time spent at AR15.com has made me worse.  Now I'm a conservative and a gun nut!

I'll tell you, I can only speak for my school but its my opinion that America is doomed.  My generation is so out of touch, and have absolutely no clue as to how the freedom they enjoy was paid for.  There are very few people I have met at school I can connect with, and others like myself keep quite because it is so easy to be politically incorrect.  Even professors, men and women in their 40s, 50s, and 60s, are bed wetting liberals.  College campuses are just the breeding ground for the Democratic party.  As I see it, with so much of the youth in their grasp, it is only a matter of time.....

My question is this:  is it just NY or are all twenty somethings mindless MTV cry babies?  Are we really doomed?  Is the apocalypse upon us?  Will God do us a favor and wipe this planet clean with fire and brimstone?

Please help.......

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I can say is that I'm glad you've accepted it.  Doing so will make living with it for decades to come that easier.

My high school generation was kinda "alternative", but the high school generation now (from what I've seen from my own Alma Mater) is 50% cokeheads and little disrespectful shits.  Now, taking the change that has transgressed over the past 4 years, and multiplying that by the number of 4-year periods that I'll be living, I do declare that our children and our grandchildren are doomed.

In all seriousness, the more time I live on this Earth, the less I honestly want to bring my children into it.  I am slowly not wanting to have children at all, and I may never.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Meathead
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL Jewbroni, somehow I knew you'd be one of the first to respond.  Well I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

Actually I think I need counsoling for anger management.  I'm no danger to others but I'm gonna give myself a ulser.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
It's just NY. Get outta there now before it's too late, arrrrggggg.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't worry too much about it. College is the time to be liberal. They'll be stupid, you'll be frustrated, and your professors will still be tenured. Just be polite when you disagree, realizing that 40-50% of those people will eventually come around to your way of thinking to some degree.

Real life will come along in a few years and kick them in the giblets. They'll start to come around then. You'll run into one of them and they'll tell you how they can't stand the government taking all their money and giving it to people who don't deserve it. Try not to gloat too much at that point.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe it was Winston Churchill who said (and I'm paraphrasing) "If you are young and not a liberal, you have no heart; if you are older and not a conservative, you have no brain."

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Start quoting Roger Kimball.

If you can find it,
read [i]Higher Education's Left Turn[/i].
It was published
in the August 2001 issue of [u]American Legion
Magazine[/u].

This one is similar.
[url]http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Parthenon/4942/relatkram.html[/url]

A small sample for those who do
not like to leave home:
The dizzy proliferation of “studies” programs is an important sign of this decay. Women’s studies, gay studies, Afro-American studies, Chicano studies, peace studies, textual studies: the metastasis of these and other such pseudo-subjects in the academy betokens not the extension but the breakdown of academic disciplines. It is worth stressing that such programs, though advertised as “cross-disciplinary,” are in reality anti-disciplinary; they require not the mastery of multiple disciplines but the abandonment of disciplinary rigor for the sake of fostering a prescribed ideology. The paradigm of all such efforts is “cultural studies,” an alarmingly popular intellectual solvent that is characterized not by its subject—which can be anything at all—but its attitude. The two mandatory ingredients for cultural studies are (1) political animus and (2) a hostility to factual truth; “content” is entirely discretionary.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
At my small little college in Missouri the Professors are liberal but they try to tone it down.  They do this because conservatives are the majority.  Just today my sociology prof was going on about how great Marx was then she tried to cover her tracks by saying some nice capitalist things.(how nice of her)  There are big pickup truck in the parking lot with NRA stickers on them and Vote Freedom First, I even knew a girl who had an Algore is a Risky Scheme bumper sticker.  I like it here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
    Lucky you.  My campus is all nissans and Land Rovers driven by 20 year old asians from NYC.  Considering I go to a state school I have to ask, "if you can afford to send your kid to school in a BMW then why the hell should you be allowed to go to a state subsidized school?"

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
M15A2, you don't happen to go to SMS do you?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
M15A2, you don't happen to go to SMS do you?
View Quote

No I go to MACC.  I do know people who go to SMS though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, you got me, I'm not familiar with MACC. That does not sound like it is in Springfield. But since there is a college on every street corner in Springfield one never knows.
I'll probably not be back to the site again tonight and this thread will probably be on page 32 by the time I get back here tomorrow. So if it is near Springfield and you would like drop me an Email, [email][email protected][/email].
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#13]
You only have one more year. just hang in there and do the best you can. it will get better when you start working for a living... about 25-50 percent of those liberals will turn conservative then when they see how the other liberals are giving away all their hard earned money..... best of luck to you!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh the pain.

[(:|)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top