Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2001 11:23:40 AM EDT
I am  getting a Ruger 1022 to accompany my M4 to the range and fire a lot more for less.:)
I can get the NIB 1022 for  $140. at wally world, or a used stainless for $160.  what are the pro's and cons of each?  the stainless had a bit of rust on it.  a new one goes for $199.
I could get the new one but what are the benefits?  is it worth the extra money just for a shooter?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#1]
NoCompromise,

I have a blued 10/22 Ruger and my son got one of the stainless composite stock 10/22 for Christmas several years ago. I like the stainless a lot better than the blued one because stainless does not rust unless it is contaminated by carbon steel. My son's gun seems to dissipate heat better than mine does. Of course you will get a lot of different opinions but this is my two cents worth. Good luck on your purchase and take care.

Moose
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my 10/22 stainless at WalMart last year for $189.00. Have they gone up?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am  getting a Ruger 1022 to accompany my M4 to the range and fire a lot more for less.:)
I can get the NIB 1022 for  $140. at wally world, or a used stainless for $160.  what are the pro's and cons of each?  the stainless had a bit of rust on it.  a new one goes for $199.
I could get the new one but what are the benefits?  is it worth the extra money just for a shooter?
View Quote

I have had a total of 3 10/22s.  #1 was the basic model.  Stock was just to small, never felt like a man's rifle.  Better used as a youth model.
#2 was the Deluxe stock.  Much better, a least stockwise.  But, accuracy wise it was not what I was looking for.
#3 ,last but not least, the 10/22T.  This rifle I kept.  Accurate enough for my needs, feels like a real gun, has some heft.  Also, a better trigger.

Of course you could start out with a basic model and aftermarket it to the HB config.  If you are not looking for that, I would suggest spending a little more and getting the Deluxe stock.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
NoCompromise,

I have a blued 10/22 Ruger and my son got one of the stainless composite stock 10/22 for Christmas several years ago. I like the stainless a lot better than the blued one because stainless does not rust unless it is contaminated by carbon steel.

Moose
View Quote

Moose,
The type of stainless steel used in firearm manufacture is alloyed with a certain amount of steel and it will rust under certain conditions.   But, it [i]resists[/i] rust much better than blued steel.  Years ago, 300 series non-ferrous stainless steel was tried in firearms, but it was too soft and prone to galling.

Get your son's rifle.  Take a magnet and put it up to the rifle.  It will have an attraction to the metal, but not as pronounced as a rifle made from blued 4140.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
One more thing, if you get that SS model, a quick rub with 00 steel wool will take that surface rust off in a second.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought the cheapest one which is Blue finish for my son 9 years ago. The only thing I did is a trigger job and put a scope. We shoot probably 8 bricks of ammo. w/ no problem. Accuracy is still the same as when first shoot it.

You can also go to this site and get more info..

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/mainsite.htm

[url]www.rimfirecentral.com/mainsite.htm[/url]

Hope this helps.

ASR
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow..  lots of great info thanks.  I will check out that site.  I don't recall exactly all the parts I saw the rust on, but it did have some on the barrel.  I guess i'll decide once I review some of the info on that site. thanks again.  NC
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a Galyan's in your neck o' the woods. try them. They are cheaper than Wally World and they actually support gunners (so far). I picked up a synthetic 10/22 with a 4-power scope mounted for $169.

BTW..avoid the Remington ammo when possible...it sucks (my experience, and others) keep with Winchester or preferrably CCI
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
NoCompromise, thanks for asking that question. I have been having the same dilemma and as usual a lot of 1022 experts have given us some insight into how to proceed. Thanks all!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
i loveto shoot: yeah, jeez, at least i am not the only one to sell a fine firearm in order to build the ultimate 10/22.!! well worth the money!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
does the used one require transfer papers?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Jack-B-Nimble,

Your right, For some reason when I hear the word stainless steel I think of some of the types of stainless pipe, tubing, plate, bar stock etc. we use at work. I do know low grade
austenitic stainless steels are somewhat magnetic and I should have caught that. Good reply, take care

Moose
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a blued, Ruger 10/22T (Target) model, with a Bushnell Sportview 3X9X40 on top.  It's amazingly accurate out to 100 yards, putting all ten rounds in an area about the size of a dime!  For a total of about a $360 investment, I got myself a "tack-driver" without having to visit a gunsmith.  The 10/22T is also hell on groundhogs!
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
In my search for my 22 I found a dealer who has some Russian 22lr target rifles.  has anyone heard of these?  they seem decked out and are about 300 bucks.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In my search for my 22 I found a dealer who has some Russian 22lr target rifles.  has anyone heard of these?  they seem decked out and are about 300 bucks.  
View Quote

I got a dealer here that sells Kalishnikov 22's for $115.00. I'm not sure the quality, but I like the name! What make are yours?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I havent really seen them yet. just woed of mouth so far.  But i'll try to check em out this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
About the Ruger 10/22's, all the receivers are the same, Aluminum.  The "Stainless" models are not painted black like the "blued" models are.  They have a clear coat so the Al doesn't oxidize.

If you are going to build up a heavy barrel gun, buy the cheapest model available and strip the receiver if you want a "stainless" receiver.  I have seen guys use carb dip and sandblasters to get to the bare Al.  clearcoat it so it doesn't oxidize or polish it for the pimp look.  The same applies to the trigger group.

Jack
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a 10/22T in blue (i guess i like black rifles).

I added a bolt buffer, target hammer, and larger mag release.

Great gun!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Jack of some trades brought up the point I was going to make.
On the Ruger 10/22s, the only stainless part on the stainless model is [b]the barrel[/b]!! The barrel is usually the first thing to get replaced, also. If you think you'll be doing any upgrading to the rifle at all, don't waste the extra money buying a rifle [i]painted[/i] to look like stainless steel. The receiver is ALUMINUM!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#21]
How about suggestions for a parkerized 10/22.  Believe it or not I don't really like blued finishes.  I like parkerized and I like black.  I've only seen one parkerized 10/22 and man was it sweet looking, but it was integrally suppressed and I don't want to go through the hassle of having a suppressed firearm..  I've found other parkerized 10/22 but they've all been supressed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How about suggestions for a parkerized 10/22.  Believe it or not I don't really like blued finishes.  I like parkerized and I like black.  I've only seen one parkerized 10/22 and man was it sweet looking, but it was integrally suppressed and I don't want to go through the hassle of having a suppressed firearm..  I've found other parkerized 10/22 but they've all been supressed.
View Quote

So, find someone local who knows their craft and get it parkerized.  They would probably need to beadblast, (gently), and refinish that aluminum receiver to make it match.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top