Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 6:51:45 PM EDT
Well its official.  I am a nonreporting draftee of the ROK forces!  When I turned 18, my grandmother received a letter teling to report for basic. Well since I am have been an American all my life I didnt think I needed to respond!  Later they sent two MP thugs to my grandmothers to find my butt.  And its too bad that I am going to get a commission in the USNR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What? I can't quite figure out what you are saying. As for your first statement, draft dodgers shame this nation, they should all be shot and if you leave the nation to avoid the draft, you should NEVER be let back in.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The draft sucks, why should Men only have to register? This is sexual descrimination, Government approved!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What? I can't quite figure out what you are saying. As for your first statement, draft dodgers shame this nation, they should all be shot and if you leave the nation to avoid the draft, you should NEVER be let back in.
View Quote

He is of Korean descent.  He may have even been born in Korea, but states that he has been an American all his life.  Apparently, ROK thinks he should still report for service in Korea, even though he is an American citizen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah!  Let's have a Draft with the Wimmen! [beer]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I was too young to serve before they stopped the draft. Then I enlisted when I was old enough. That's kinda like dodging the draft isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Draft is for peasants who are willing to be cannon fodder for the upper cleasses. If a Nation cannot rely on patriotic citizens to defend it, then it deserves to perish from the face of the Earth!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah!  Let's have a Draft with the Wimmen! [beer]
View Quote

That's Womenz [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Sukebe: That's kinda like dodging the draft isn't it?
View Quote

LOL!
That's kinda like shooting yourself, just so the enemy can't. [:D]

[i]Former "Self Propelled Sandbag" 1969 - 1973[/i]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
A guy I know was born here to German parents, and moved to Germany to establish residence.

REAL quick, like within a couple weeks or so, he got his draft notice in the mail.

He decided which was more important, and came back to Alaska ASAP.  He heard more stories from his grandfather (Waffen SS in Russia) than he told to us, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
LarryG is a smart man!  Exactly the situation. I am of Korean decent, but this country the good old US of A has given me everything. Thats why I chose to serve in the US Naval Reserves. I think I should give something back.  I also figure I would get to play with some toys once in a while. (Fire real M4s, get a catapulted off carrier decks!) Absolutely, why dont women have to serve?  If I didn't register for the selective service when I turned 18, I would have gotten no student loans. Women have no such penalty.  If women were so discriminated against, there would be major law suits and women burning their bras and thongs in front of LarryG's house!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If women were so discriminated against, there would be major law suits and women burning their bras and thongs in front of LarryG's house!
View Quote

Bring them on, please!!!

ARDOC, I edited the 'bras' part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Draft is for peasants who are willing to be cannon fodder for the upper cleasses. If a Nation cannot rely on patriotic citizens to defend it, then it deserves to perish from the face of the Earth!
View Quote

Sooooooo, will that be the SS Nazi party Army that [i]you[/i] will be joining or maybe the KKK Army?  I think you'll go with the KKK because otherwise you'll have to wear black and that would conflict with your beliefs.

Am I right?

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Psssst... hey genius, sometimes a conflict is too large to be handled by a country's standing forces (WWII).  It's during these crises that a nation must augment it's forces with conscripts.
Simple concept.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I registered with Selective Services when I turned 18 as requested.  There currently is no draft.

There's a good reason women don't have to register for a draft.  A draft is only for building up military forces that will see battle.  Women aren't allowed to be on a battlefield.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:18:02 AM EDT
[#17]
ARDOC is your family from North or South Korea?
ROK= Republic of Korea? I guess that means south then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I aint no red belly!  Who did the ROK guys steal that Bradley from?  Well women may not have place on the battlefield, but an army is composed of more than just foot soldiers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#21]
kpel, it was several years ago, so I am not too worried. But you are right.  Tim, yup you are also correct, it does look like a 113 with a back end of a bradley.  The old 113s were flat slab sided and this one has slanted portions and firing ports.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I decided to dodge the draft back in 1967 upon hearing the news that a great guy I went to high school with was killed while serving as a corpsman with 3rdMARDIV
I enlisted and after graduating from my MOS  volunteered for VietNam..World War II was fought predominately by draftees...great hero's to call these men "peasants" or "cannon fodder" for the elite...is a statement beneath contempt...
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#25]
I forgot to mention I spent some time at an ROK Marine firebase near the Cambodian border...and its true.. they are the baddest of the bad...
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fell into the "cannon fodder" category on July 8, 1969....guess I shoulda dogged the draft  instead. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#27]
If the United States [b]hadn't[/b] used conscription during WWII, how great do you think the drop in manpower for the armed forces would have been?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I find myself strangely, almost in agreement, at least in principle. I served on active duty USMC and Army Reserve National Guard. I would think twice today about volunteering. The social and economic elite in this country have the most to lose by serving and the most to gain by people like me serving instead of them. The days of the likes of the Bush's and Kennedy's serving in the armed forces in combat went out with the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution. Why should I risk my ass so they can stay rich? Call me cynical but those kind of people have been brainwashing people like me that it is our duty to fight ever since the French and Indian war. They get rich, we die by the bushel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I guess technically I am a draft dodger even though if I completed the proper paperwork I would not be eligible for the draft anyway.  I was supposed to serve in the army of the  A.R.E. when I turned 18 (I've lived here all my life but I hold dual citizenship).
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I find myself strangely, almost in agreement, at least in principle. (snip)

Why should I risk my ass so they can stay rich? Call me cynical but those kind of people have been brainwashing people like me that it is our duty to fight ever since the French and Indian war. They get rich, we die by the bushel.
View Quote

Pretty much what my older relatives in the armed services (with the exception of one, a B-52 pilot) said about Viet Nam. They all counseled me against going. Luckily the war ended, as did the draft, before I had to make that decision.

I later found out, due to psoriasis and flat feet, I probably wouldn't have been taken in anyway.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I went AWOL with a sweetie on Ibiza once, does that count?

It was in 96' on the DMZ on Kanghwa DO island (South Korea) when I came face to face with my first reality bite of what it would be like to be attacked by N. Korea.

It was a sunny warm day.

I was on patrol (Rollerblading near the town square)...

All of a sudden it happened...the wail of the invasion sirens went off.  I had never heard them before...it was like a movie, except I was in it...I imagined the bombs would be falling all around me within minutes....

I gathered my stuff and ran like hell to get home...after a few blocks, I realized no one else really seemed to care what the heck was going on here...??! [>:/] Ajumas and Ajeshis were still standing around doing business, the Hak sang were playing in the schoolyard...no one was in a hurry to worry....hmmmm

Well they do that drill a lot.  No wonder. heh...[:I]

The ROK marines in one of my classes invited me to Koryo San mountian, I got to hold my first Daewoo machine gun, wow, got a good pic of that...with a N. Korean 'ghost town' in the background....they had these towns along their side of the DMZ and they used to use loudspeakers to shout propaganda -you could hear it every night for two hours...cool stuff.

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I was never a draft dodger but i played one at the whitehouse for 8 years. the news lied about me. i never lied. my vice pres. invented the draft while in college.
          slick willie
        p.s. did you s w a l l o w  this .
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#33]
There are interesting points being made here.  Conscription is forcing citizens to serve the military,  whetyher or not they want to.  

IIRC, that process first used in the US in the Civil War by the North.  All of America's prior wars were fought by volunteers who signed an enlistment contract.  The result of the draft was rioting by those who couldn't afford to hire a substitute.  The South didn't institute a draft until 1863, when manpower became critical.  

I think we would be better off providing suitable militia training and then asking for volunteers to augment the armed services when needed.  Then the politicians will have to consider the desire of the people to fight before committing us to a senseless war/police action/peacekeeping endeavor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember when I was stationed in Greece someone told me that the Greek military would try to draft the American sons of Greeks that had moved to the US and had become american citizens.  It didn't matter that the sons had been born in the US and had never been to Greece. I was told the Greeks also drafted men into the police department.  

Larry
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't just dodge the draft, I was never even in the system! Came here when I was 5 so they never even heard of me. So when I turned 18, I didn't have to spend two years guarding the Grand Palace or hanging out on the Burmese (oh, sorry, that's Myanmar) border. But I did trot down to the local USPS station to fill out my Selective Service card.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#36]
LarryinCA, you are absolutely correct.  I have a Greek buddy.  He is an American citizen, no matter! He is of Greek descent.  If he didnt report, they would arrest him the minute he set his foot in Greece again.  He told them he was going to med school and cut a deal.  He still has a 6 month stint in the Greek Army as a medical officer.  He is there now serving his time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 3:43:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#38]
When I was in college we had draft parties. TYou got drunk and watched them pull your number from the bowl. I won, but Tricky Dick stopped the war. There were all sorts of us there, blue collar and rich kids. We would have gone together. The draft is a necessary evil for us to remain free.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Now that Clinton has demonstrated that it's possible to dodge the draft without any serious consequences, how successful do you think a draft would be today?  The last time the US got into a largish war (versus Iraq), there were quite a few members of our all-volunteer armed forces who suddenly decided they didn't want to fight -- they'd only enlisted for the benefits, or they had family obligations, or they didn't believe in war, et cetera.

Besides which, I'd expect that if there were a steady stream of casualties, America's will to fight would be exhausted before the supply of replacements became a serious issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#40]
LarryCA,
I grew up in Greece on Hellenikon AFB, were you there?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I turned 18 in 1975, right after registration was ended. When they started registration back up years later, it was only for birthdates 1961(?) and younger, and I was too old. Hey, I was cheated! Anyway, I never even got to register, but I served my 18 years - as an Army brat to a mean ol' Sarge - my Dad! [:D] I can hear him now :
"get out there and POLICE the yard!"
"You are confined to quarters for the weekend!"
"go get me a cold beer ASAP, troop!"
"No, you cannot have the VEHICLE Friday night"
"I want these quarters SQUARED AWAY away by 1300 hours!"
"get your ass up to the PX on the double and get that hippy har cut!"
"Field strip that butt!"
"HURRY UP! DIDI MAO! DIDI MAO!"
He sure has mellowed out since he retired, BTW. Gotta love him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Draft dodgers are one of the lowest forms of scum on the earth. Just think, the little jack offs want to live here but are to chicken to learn some disiplin and protect our country for a couple of years of their disgusting lives.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I heroically served in Panama, among other places.

I once smoked four Panamanian doobies and drank many rum and cokes in the course of one evening, and still managed to report back to Albrook AFB, although my heart beat kind of funny on the bus ride back..

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I had just started my "Last" tour in the Mekong Delta (area was called "Rung Sat Special Zone")
when I received a notice addressed, mind you, with the FPO 96621 address and Republic of Vietnam typed on it, from, you guessed it, "The Selective Service", I was 29 years old at the time. My dad had given them the address as they couldn't locate me. What a bunch of idiots. By the way, I volunteered. Let's say, I'm to this day, very bitter about the subject and the demonstrations. Oh, I forgot to mention, I had already been in 12 Years.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I know its a free country, and all of that, but frankly I would have a hard time dealing with myself, if my mates were fighting, and I was at home watching it all on TV, and I would feel even worse if one of my mates was killed or wounded horribly.

But what do I know, I've served over 25yrs in the Armies of two different nations, and I am in for 'all for one, and one for all'. I enjoy the life, the mateship, and the adventure, but I know it aint for everyone, but in war, if you are not in an essential job, and are fit, and you don't wanna go and help your mates out, shame on you!

When the SHTF, your country right or wrong, its your country! Its existance for future generations may hang in the balance. You gota go.

They are seriously thinking about the return of National Service, here in Australia. I hope they bring it back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes National Service in Western Europe is quite common. It might even be Reserve only (Switzerland for example has a very small regular army, but in 24hrs can mobilise over a million soldiers, and they keep their rifles at home too). Italy has the same policy as Greece. I know a bloke who is serving in th Army here, and if her goes back to Italy, they'll grab him there to serve.

We have it so lucky. AS for the Eastern bloc, we all know what they do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top