Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 1:41:30 PM EDT
I bought a metric FAL and I have a few questions. It has no name or markings on the lower reciever except a 6 digit number. It has a selector switch that has 3 markings. "S" "E" "D". The "S" is safe, "E" is semi fire, and I was told the "D" is fullauto fire. The selector has no stop or weld going from "E" to "D". I was told it might be a full auto Steyr lower. When I shot it with the selector on "D" it fired 2 times in semi then closed on a live round and wouldn't fire again. It shot fine in semi on "E".

The upper reciever is marked D.S.A. INC. Grayslake, IL on one side and SA58 308 CAL. and the serial number on the other side.

It has a 21" barrel, metal handguards, folding bi-pod, carry handle, DSA weaver style reciever cover, and what appears to be a 5 1/2" flash hider. But the barrel fits flush with the inside of the flash hider. The 5 1/2" flash hider was included in the 21" barrel. I guess its a post ban but it isn't welded on. It looks like its threaded because when I shot it yesterday for the first time there looks to be a little oil coming from around where the flash hider is attached to the barrel. Also it doesn't appear to be pinned on.

Could someone give me a little info on this rifle?

Would a fullauto parts kit fit into the reciever with no modifications since it has the selector?

If so would it be legal to do so if it was registerd since it has the fullauto reciever?

Any info on this rifle would be great. This is my first FAL and I don't know much about them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You want to go to.....

[url]www.l1a1.com[/url]

Look at the top of the web page for the link to the FAL FIles Message Board.

Those guys are serious FAL junkies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I own 2 and am working on a third.

DSA's are post ban semi-auto only recievers. It is illegal to put full-auot parts in it. The "flash-hider" should be a muzzle brake and it should be brazed/silver sodered etc on.

You wouldn't want to shoot it in full-auto anyway, your rounds would be all over the place.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't look like a muzzle break. One inch of the end looks kinda like the vortex flash hider but the ends are straight instead of twisted. The rest of it is ringed. There are no holes in it.

I would like to know more about the lower if posible. Anyone seen one like this? I was told it was a pre ban.

If it wasn't made to be fullauto, why does it have the selector?

Garandman, I tried the sight but it isn't up. I can't get to the message board.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It is probably an STG kit gun. That's why you have three settings. My post ban FAL's also have the three position setting. Without the full auto upper receiver, ejection block and disconnector, it is just a semi auto receiver.

To be safe, DSA sells a new notched safety lever that keeps it from rotating past semi.

Your muzzle device could be just a phony flash hider. I believe that they removed the threads inside and the outer notches so it can't be used as a grenade launcher. If it is preban, it is just a long flash hider/launcher. There are many variations of FH's, short, long, clip on etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, you have what sounds like a DSA STG58A kitgun. The flash hider looking thing is DSA's BATF approved copy of the original Austrian STOLL FH/Grenade launcher device except it doesn't have the prongs. So it's really just a barrel weight.

The lower receiver is an Austrian STG 58 with the markings and selector. Several components are required for a select fire FAL.

1. Searcut upper receiver
2. Searcut ejector block
3. Auto safety sear
4. Auto bolt carrier (underside of bolt carrier has lugs, one longer than the other)
5. Auto selector

Your rifle doesn't have 1,2, and 3. DSA should've put a drop of weld on the selector groove to prevent pulling the trigger in the auto position.

Anyway, without the safety sear, the theory is that if the hammer is allowed to follow the bolt carrier rather than being caught by the primary sear, there isn't enough energy to set off the primer.  Essentially it's slam fire. The reason it fired twice in semi and closed on a live round is because the hammer followed the carrier and wasn't reset or caught by the sear. Fortunately, it's in battery when this happens. Did you get this rifle straight from DSA? Who said it was a pre-ban? I'd verify with DSA on that one.

My suggestion is to [b]NOT[/b] fire it in the Dauerfeuer position. Put a drop of weld in the selector slot or get a semi-only selector. It is not legal to convert this rifle to select fire mode.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, with ammo loaded with "softer" primers or primers not seated deep enough, there might be enough energy in the hammer to set it off.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]
1-Does the "flash hider" have open prongs? If so it's a real STG58 flash hider/grenade launcher.
2-Do any parts (besides receiver) have USA on them?
If you answered yes to #1 and no to #2 you may have a "homemader" and might be in violation of the 1994 AWBan and 922R. Where did this rifle come from? Give us some more info...
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
From reading your description again, it sounds like Noname is right. Your muzzle device has the prongs fully cut, which makes it the original STOLL FH/GL. I'm pretty sure DSA wouldn't let one out of the factory like that so it sounds like you got someone's kit gun built using a DSA upper receiver. I wonder what other non-compliant parts are in it. Other than the receiver, it may not have any US parts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a regular on FAL files and make my living building legal FALs.

Please drop me an email and we can figure out if what you have is postban "legal" or not.

Happy to be of service. D.

Derek Huffman, AZ EXpertarms.
[email protected]
www.azexarms.com
www.azexarms.com/ftp
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Repaired, and rebuilt Australian L1A1 SLRs and L2A1s, plus Canadian C1 and C2s, once upon a time. I might be able to help you out. Email me if you wanna.
1feral1
Sydney
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top