Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 3:53:32 PM EDT
I just bought a post ban DSA FAL SA58. On the reciever, the selector switch has three settings. "S" for safe and "E" and "D". What does the "E" and "D" mean? The hammer falls on both these settings. Could someone help me out?

Also the muzzle brake doesn't look welded on, how is it fixed? Are they threaded? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A regular production DSA SA58 using either their alloy or stainless lower would not have those markings. Instead they'd be marked [b]S[/b] for safe and [b]F[/b] for fire.

A DSA STG58A kit gun assembled using their type I or II upper receiver but with a surplus Steyr lower receiver would show those markings.

S - Sichert (Safe)
E - Einzelfeuer (Single fire)
D - Dauerfeuer (Auto fire or sustained fire)

[url]http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000135[/url]

Also, DSA SA58 rifles come with a semi-auto only selector. It doesn't have a cutout allowing the trigger to be fully depressed for full auto. It also has a tang that catches or prevents movement to the D or auto position. Sounds like you've got the select fire type selector.

-----------------------------------------------------------

DSA SA58 rifles (not the STG58A kitguns) use barrels made by Badger. Those barrels have the brake [b]machined integrally from the barrel[/b]. Only way to remove it is by cutting. You've got a DSA top end on a Steyr lower? I'm wondering about your US parts count and where this rifle came from. Direct from DSA? If so, I'd call them or post a message to them on the FAL files forum ([url]www.fnfal.com[/url]) where a DSA company rep sometimes reads the messages.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL breaks are threaded and either pinned and the pin welded over or tack welded.  If pin job is done well it is nearly invisible.  If you can remove it by hand then you might have an "illegal assault rifle".  

US parts issues.  Mark "GunPlumber" Graham at Arizona Response Systems

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

provides an outstanding discussion of your options for the required number of US parts, and some help identifying what you DO have.    Visit his site, read about it then decide what action you might need to take.

The 3 position selector is a left over from the kit's days as a machine gun.  In the FA position the hammer will fall but just follows the bolt and generally won't have enough force to fire.  Selector is not a "part" according to the ATF so doesn't matter if you replace it.  Several choices:  Replace with semi only part or modify selector so it will not travel to FA position.  I have seen Century guns with a dab of weld on selector to solve problem.

Fine gun; you will surely enjoy it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top