Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2001 10:00:22 PM EDT
I have a little debate going with a friend of mine and my father, and wondered what your opinions would be. My father and I are planning a camping/hunting/survival excursion. Well we got off on a side discussion of the best survival rifle to take with my father, myself, and a friend. My fathers' choice was a 22 rifle. His reasons were light (easy to pack, he recently purchased a feather), lots of ammo, rugged, accurate to name a few. Well I am a big fan of the AR and that was my choice. My reasons well all the above, but a little larger round. My friend however thinks we are both crazy and says to take either a 308 (FAL, or bolt action) or a 30-06 of some sort. His reasons were what about large predators (bear, bobcat, mountain lion, etc...) or large game, long shots, optic variations, etc. My fathers' idea is good, but the 22? I would be a little worried, to say the least! What do you all think?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you've got 3 great choices!
Each of you can carry one.
Each of you can carry some of the other guys ammo, too, so all your eggs aren't in one basket.

My 3 choices in your particular scenario would be:
1. A Remington 7400 Synthetic Carbine in .30-06 with a Weaver quick detachable mounting system and a scope of lesser power, your choice of brand.  Gives you optics and open sights.
2. A Remington 870 12-gauge pump shotgun with the pistol grip for portability.  A bitch to shoot that way, but, it gives you versatility and good camp defense.  You could even carry the buttstock and a couple of tools in a pack and change it over as needed for bad guys or birds or bears.
3. A Ruger Single-Six Convertible revolver with the .22LR/.22Mag cylinders for small game and or snakes (with mini shot shells).

These 3 oughtta get the job done.
Use the plastic or take out a loan for new guns if you have to.  It's a great excuse!

Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
i got this one pegged

get a O/U rifle/shotgun combo gun -- 1 barrel is a shotgun, the other is rifle caliber. there are usually various caliber combinations that can be had.
id go for a 12ga and 223 or 22mag, with a scope on top
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#3]
A 1911 .45 with a Ceiner .22 conversion.  Gives you .45 knockdown (which is good enough for deer) and a .22 to fill the larder with squirrels, rabbits, and birds.

A 1911 with both calibers, 100 rounds of .45, and 500 rounds of .22 is lighter than all the above choices.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A 1911 .45 with a Ceiner .22 conversion.  Gives you .45 knockdown (which is good enough for deer) and a .22 to fill the larder with squirrels, rabbits, and birds.

A 1911 with both calibers, 100 rounds of .45, and 500 rounds of .22 is lighter than all the above choices.
View Quote

It maybe be lighter, but it does not fit answer the topic.  Survival [b]rifle[/b]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, 7, good to see you up this early too!

I'm voting for an M-16/AR-15 with .22lr conversion kit (or dedicated .22 upper) - it's the best of you and your dad's worlds.  If you really need light, check out the lightweight uppers - I think you can get an AR down to ~4 or 5 lbs?  I really like the Trijicon Reflex for quick acquisition, night capability w/no batteries (hey, when do you think you'll run into a bear?) and decent long-distance capability.  If we're really dreaming, throw a suppressor in your backpack as well - eliminates flash and recoil, which could be important.  Back it up with a .22lr handgun if needed - it's only for emergencies anyway, and should use your existing rifle ammo if possible.  

Black Fox
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I think any accurate rifle in .223 will be a good bet for a survival rifle. Use ball ammo for animals you only want to drill(to not waste meat) and bring a 20 round mag of Winchester factory 64 grain "deer ammo" softpoints for big game.  Bring a gun you won't mind getting banged up/scratched up.

Let the other guys bring .22LR and .308 rifles.  Sounds like you will then have any possible hunting situation covered.  

I believe that outside of National Parks, animal attack is a very unlikely problem.  Just don't let your sleeping area smell like food.

Got your survival kit?  Survival excursions will teach you what you should have had in your kit.

------
Post this thread on the hunting board to get lots of good input.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to violate the whole rifle thing but here goes:

22 Mag rifle, bolt action
.357 Mag revolver (6" barrel)

For survival it is hard to beat this pair, as long as other humans aren't involved. Pack a few sets of Glazers for the revolver and you can knock down just about anything that will attack you. You could certainly send it running the other way. The .22 Mag rifle will do a great job of reaching out and stopping a regular meal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Springfield Armory M-6 scout. .22lr over .410. You are much more likely to take small game as food than run into large predators like bears. Keep some 3in. .410 slugs handy if your worried about coyotes, wolves or cats.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

22 Mag rifle, bolt action
.357 Mag revolver (6" barrel)
View Quote

Thank god someone mentioned the .357.

The .357 Revolver IMO is one of the most versitale survival handguns out there...
Rifles are fine, but if you don't have to carry one, why bother?
Do you really plan on taking large game on a camping trip?
Or do you really think that even if you do, you will be called upon to make a 400 yard shot?
A .357 is the way to go IMO.
With .38 Target loads, you have a fantastically accurate gun light enough to take small game cleanly.
With shot loads , you can hit grouse, or flushed birds; not to mention take care of snakes.
With a good 180 Gr. Cast Core, or a high speed SJHP, you can take game up to deer, and with handloads, will work on bear in a pinch.
If you plan on being mobile during this outing, I can assure that the guy with the FAL will be pulling up the rear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I figure anything that messes with you will be a bear, pig, or human. I would carry a 4" 629 with .44 spec. and have 44 mag. ammo on me also. A rifle will be a bitch to carry. Also for a rifle New England arms sells a breakopen with 2 barrels, 1 shot the regular bullets.
GG
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I figure anything that messes with you will be a bear, pig, or human. I would carry a 4" 629 with .44 spec. and have 44 mag. ammo on me also. A rifle will be a bitch to carry. Also for a rifle New England arms sells a breakopen with 2 barrels, 1 for shot, the other for regular bullets.
GG
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Here in Colorado, when camping,( I do a lot of camping and hiking ) There is a S&W M629 in a crossdraw rig with me at all times. Sometimes I carry a shotgun, most of the time I carry a Ruger 1022, as a shoulder arm. The .22, I think is the rifle to carry, if you have a powerful side arm.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I will also be taking my glock 20. I prefer this over a 357. Don't get me wrong the 357 is a good round, I just feel in love with the 10mm. I will be taking my AR though, and we will see what I end up with. My Dad is going with the 22 and his S&W 357, and I think my buddy is going with the big bore rifle. We will see what comes up and what it's like to lug my AR around for a week or so. Hell the armed forces do it all the time. Thanks for all the advice and I will let you know what works well and what doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Since it's not for war, I'd op for a Mossberg 590A1 with a bird, buck and slugs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I tote one of those old Armalite AR-7's in the pack.. The problem is finding a half dozen good mags to accompany it..

Marlin made a neat takedown too, "Papoose" or something.. Also in.22LR

Honestly, I doubt you'll need more than a .22 for survival, unless "hostile bipeds" are involved..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top