Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2001 8:04:55 PM EDT
?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the deal, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

But one of the most usefull features would be the flash hiders, that help not to blind you when firing at night, or with night vision equipment. This could come in handy if needed.

Bayonet lug. Well, close quarter combat it could help. Or if caught reloading.

Collapsable stock, once again with close quarter combat, could come in quite handy. Weight is also a factor.

But once again, it's all about what suits you. I think that out of all the "evil" features, the flash hider is the one that holds the most tactical advantage.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
For a few years the advantage was to buy it...then sell it to somebody else who would pay more than you did.  There's also collectors. But for shootings, the post-bans are fine.

Another advantage of a pre-ban is that you can build a pre-ban lower into a pistol.  Sure, you can do it with a post-ban, but you have to make it less than 50oz which is near impossible without a lightening up the upper receiver a bit like PO does.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on how much you got it for, the price will be an advantage as you can sell the preban for more. Other than that, the only advantage I'd like is the flash hider.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The best thing I like about my preban is the collapsible stock. My wife and smaller friend can shoot it easily as well. Also fits into a smaller range bag.

Good information is to be found on the old site entitled "The Ideal AR15" or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Their small and evil.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the prebans because the Liberal wussies don't want me to have it. That and I wanted a gun that wouldn't blind me at night or ruin a NV device. Besides you can put a vortex or phanthom on it for almost zero visibilty of the muzzle blast. The best reason to own one is because some power mongering idiots decided that for some reason a few features made a firearm more evil or more apealing to criminals. Yep, your average criminal is so well informed about guns that they care about the advantages or disavantages of certain features, Yea right. They usually are just happy to get thier hands on a gun.
A better way of putting it would be I wanted a modern rifle design that had been rung out by the military. The M16 is my generations service rifle and I always wanted a civvie version. They originally came with flash suppressors and bayo lugs and had the option of a fixed stock or collaspable stock. I like the flexibilty of AR15/M16 platform and I feel the lack of these features compromises to an extent the guns original modular attribites. The fact that some pinhead gun phobe decided that certain features might make me turn into some sorta wacko and go on a killing spree just strikes me as the ultimate in absurdity.
To me the post bans will always appear neutered looking and less desireable than a pre ban with all the EVIL features. I can remember a time when there was no such thing as a post ban and there shouldn't be a time now. The exception would be an AR rig tricked up for competition and/or long range shooting. The lack of a flash suppressor here and a fixed stock would be an advantage in this situation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Another advantage of a pre-ban is that you can build a pre-ban lower into a pistol.  Sure, you can do it with a post-ban, but you have to make it less than 50oz which is near impossible without a lightening up the upper receiver a bit like PO does.

- Robbie
View Quote

Negatory Good buddy. Converting a Rifle into a pistol is a federal No-No, regardless of MFG date...
It had to be constructed as a pistol it's entire life.
Meaning, if it left the factory as an AR pistol, it is OK.
Or, if it began life as a stripped lower, and was assembled into an AR pistol, it's OK. Keep in mind that very very very very few AR's were initally assembled into pistols. So, unless you are 100% sure that yours began life as an AR pistol, you are very likely to get into hot water, since there are so few documented Pre-Ban pistol lowers out there.

Just because it is a pre-ban DOES NOT mean you can asemble it into a pistol. If it began life as a rifle, that means it must stay a rifle.
However, if it began life as a pistol, it can be converted back and forth from a rifle to pistol. Go figure!

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The main advantage is desirability, or resale value. The next is that it has the ability to interface with the many accessories designed for it by military industries. The collapsible stock is a real benefit in shortening the overall length to facilitate handling inside tight quarters or a automobile. The flash suppressor is a minor concern unless you are in a nighttime hostile environment and there's a real fear of giving up your position. It's unlikely also that fixing a bayonet is ever going to happen but this feature allows you to have it as part of the system.

Pre-bans are cool, but the features are overated in the practical sense, except, of course, the collapsible stock.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
A preban is one step away from being a real militia weapon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bayonet lug. Well, close quarter combat it could help. Or if caught reloading.
View Quote

I don't think you can mount a bayonet on a 16"BBL.  The distance from the flash suppressor to the bayonet lug is too long for the standard military M16 bayonet.  It may fit on a M4 14.5" though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They make the bedwetting liberals tremble in fear and revulsion.
View Quote

That's what my preban underfolder AK is for.[:D]mmk
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Dude you need a per-ban so you can have $1000 - $1500 GUN that you can stab the crap out of some one with.Byo lugs rule![;D]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 3:28:43 AM EDT
[#16]
What just a sec., in a few months we will all have per-bans[:(!]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brother, you called that one right![pissed]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Owning a pre-ban is my way of supporting the 2nd Admendment. Next will be an M16. Now where is that RPG?
[^]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Well this is why I just bought a pre ban it is because every investment I make turns to crap and because of this I bought one now you can thank me when the ban sunset's HA HA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#20]
if the ban does sunset (I really doubt it), we will all have prebans. Wether its a $600 postban or a $1500 preban, they can all have the same features. If it does sunset, take pictures and have as much proof as you can that your lower was built up as a complete rifle before the next ban.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a pre ban because the AR-15 is a copy of a military rifle. It's supposed to have a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor. Without them it looks neutered. I bought AR-15's because I used M-16's in the service, I could shoot well with them and I was comfortable with the operation and maintenance of them. I also like to rub the anti's noses in it. I can make all the configurations that a post ban can and more. Also I can afford to buy pre bans and if it's something I want, I don't mind the extra expense. If your waiting for the assault weapons ban to sunset, it won't and pre bans will get even more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Prebans are configured the way they were meant to be( OK except for the full auto thing).
I like that.
Resale value is still and will always be an advantage. It's hard to get out of a post ban for more than you paid for it, easy with a preban if you know your values. They will continue to rise in value, just like "machine guns" will.

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]
guns really do make a poor investment one law and your really screwed (ie cant sell it or cant price drops to way pass what u payed for it)

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's a per-ban?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be happy to take a loss on this if the ban sunsets
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#28]
You can make a SBR out of it and put on a supressor. Which make it a much more useful defensive weapon- at least here in AZ.  I wouldnt try using something that cost that much for self defense in some other states where you may not see your gun ever again even if you were in a rightous shoot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
guns really do make a poor investment one law and your really screwed (ie cant sell it or cant price drops to way pass what u payed for it)

View Quote
......not neccesarily. Ever seen what an HK 94 goes for these days?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
......not neccesarily. Ever seen what an HK 94 goes for these days?
View Quote
sure it goes for alot now but one law and poof you would be hosed
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Go to Reno gun show, AR's everywhere. The market is flooded with Kalifornia rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top