Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2001 6:38:22 PM EDT
Which ban sunsets in the near future?  Is the '89 or the '94?  I realize it will likely not happen, but for educational purposes, I would appreciate the help.

What exactly would this do, if it was to sunset?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the 89 of course!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
94.  It is a 10 year ban.  Set to sunset in 2004.  Right before the election.  And it *WILL* happen.

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup...part of the '94 "Crime Bill" is slated to sunset in 2004....though only part of it such as the high-capacity magazines.  

HCI knows this and was really hoping on Gore being in the Whitehouse. With Bush there, hopes for us are incredibly higher even though he's talked about hi-cap mags in the past as a possible point of concession to HCI.

With the Dems running the Senate, I say it will be brought up for a vote.  Though last week's announcement by some Dems that they may rethink their gun control stance as "key" was a real shocker to me.

- Robbie
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe that Bush said he would resign the 1994 ban back into law when it expires folks.

Bush may be better than Gore but he is hardly our friend, merely the lesser of two evils...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And it *WILL* happen.
View Quote

Ha!
In order for him to not draft the new bill, he would have to have the support of the public. While he may have the support of AR15.com, I can assure the public at large does not support the right to own AW's, nor do they support the right to own "high" capacity magazines.
After all.
"Who needs 30 rounds to hunt with?"

Sorry. We don't have the minds of the people on this one, and for him to allow it sunset during an election year would make him out to be "in the NRA's hip pocket" which will lose him an election.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The '89 ban was a presidential order barring foregin shippments of the assault weapons.  The '94 ban has a sunsent date on Sept. 13 2004.  Legal manufactoring of hi-caps and domestic production of the "3 or more deadly features" on a firearm will be resumed for civilian sales.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt he'll let it sunset. His dad will be very mad if he did let it sunset.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The dumb voting public will screw everything up in 2002.  Most likely, a new revised ban will be worst than the one we are being subjected right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After all.
"Who needs 30 rounds to hunt with?"
View Quote

I do. I'm a really poor shot.

The best chance we have of the ban sunsetting will be to have a firm control of the house, and at least a tie or better in the senate. So get moving and volunteer when it comes near election time. If the bills don't get reauthorized in congress, they can't be signed by the prez.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I predict that there will be at least one high profile shooting/killing incident a month or two before the sunset deadline.  Not neseccarily a large, bloody shooting but one that will be highly promoted by the TV networks pushing their anti-gun agenda.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

?????/ would that be??? Klinton was the Prez when it was enacted.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

?????/ would that be??? Klinton was the Prez when it was enacted.
View Quote

LOL!! Rule #1--Always check your facts before posting your opinion on the internet.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I predict that there will be at least one high profile shooting/killing incident a month or two before the sunset deadline.  Not neseccarily a large, bloody shooting but one that will be highly promoted by the TV networks pushing their anti-gun agenda.

sgtar15
View Quote

YOU SAID IT!!!

But, I predict a whole slurry of "Events" as opposed to just 1.

AND it will be in areas where Strict Gun Control is the rule of the land.
Just so the Anti's can scream and holler about how badly we need Stricter controls.
Like PRK or DC...

Del[:(]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]
LOL. '89/'94... close enough... I still think he WON'T let it sunset though!
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#16]
If the ban does sunset on Sept. 13, 2004 and a new one isn't signed right away, doesn't that allow us to, put on all the "evil" features?

With photo's and receipts, to document the fact it was changed, with NO ban in effect, so it would then be a pre-ban AW?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top