Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2001 2:45:48 PM EDT
How many of you are in the IT industry and how has the slowing economy affected you? I work at AMD as an engineer. Was at Dell but was part of the layoff they had.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a web design company. The only bright spot is that I'm still around while all the big consulting companies that were just buzzword factories are dropping like flies.

The good thing is that if I can survive this, I can survive anything.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I work in IT and my company was sold!  I found a better gig about a month later.  I have friends who have been laid off from Compaq and they are having trouble finding new work.  It is actually kind of good that the IT market is slowing down.  I interview lots of paper MCSE's and CCNA's that have lowered the overal earning potential of the people who actually know what they are doing.  

Yes the bubble has busted.  I'm a little tense about it too.  But there will be plenty of work for those who have a solid skill set.  Hopefully it will send all the bandwagon jumpers back to their former disciplines.  I feel for those misdirected college kids who are getting MIS degrees in droves.  I have seen quite a few of them shocked to find out they cannot even get a $15/hr job, let alone a real salary.  The market is pretty saturated with both good and bad.  In time the good IT people will be alright.  We went through this with CAD in the early 80'.  Experience and not a freshly inked degree are going to get you through this lull.  Sounds like you are in Austin.  The jobs are a lot thinner there cuz mommie and daddie sent there kids there to go to school.  Now they ALL want to live there.  I can't blame them one bit Austin is a awesome town.  But you have all these degreed kids willing to work for peanuts so they can stay in their bad ass city.  Dallas isn't as cool, but they seem to have the strongest Texas IT job market right now?!?

AR50Troll
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, im in Austin. I make $22 hr with no Degree or Certs. all hands on. I got lucky. Im real lucky to have a job now. AMD has basically promised not to let me go. There is alot of work on the R&D side of AMD for me to do. I test 3rd party MB with our chipsets and other chipset makers. And with Nvidia getting into the chipset market we will have our fill of work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I work on the hardware side (design and manufacture) and our business worldwide had gone down about 12% this year compared to last while in US it has gone down almost 20%.  We used to have double digit growth every year for past 10 years.  

They have cut jobs accross the board by 11% so far and maybe another 5% by end of the year if the situation doesn't get better.  My job is secure for next 12-18 months but after that it will depend on how much we can recover.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [:\]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a Senior Contributing Editor for a well-known computer magazine. I used to be their Lab Director, but about 2 months ago I took an equity position with a systems management software firm as CTO.

Business is actually picking up in the systems management software world, but it's dropped significantly in the computer publishing business. I had two books, for which I had signed contracts, cancelled.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I am an MCSE working as Systems Engineer for a large Chemical concern.  Currently fooling around with that CCNA in my spare time.  I am glad I have experience and time on the job as many people I know are out of work and looking.  It is a tense time in this business as the market is saturated with folks looking for work.  We just hired a PC tech who used to be a Network Admin.  He is bummin' that he had to take the big pay cut and the 'demotion', as he sees it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a BS in Comp Sci (Carnegie Mellon 1987) and an MS in Software Engineering (U of Scranton).  A few years ago, I went over to the dark side of management after coding for about 10 years.  I'm currently employed as a Software Engineering Manager for a company that develops SW for banks and insurance companies.  

I'm amazed at the number of IT people I meet on the gun range.  Then again, southern NH is loaded with them (IT people and gun people).

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm an experienced PC Tech who is now working a menial office job for peanuts.  I left an excellent job with good pay and super benefits in my home state to come to NM. Problem here is, they won't even talk to you if you don't have the "paper".  Never mind that you know your way around a PC backwards, forwards, inside and out.  I hope you're right about the experienced surviving in the long run.  Maybe there's still hope for me?  [:\]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I am Sales Manager of a Custom Server and Systems shop. [url]www.palpc.com[/url] AMD processors ROCK!  We built a 1.4GHz with a Geforce3 card and it benchmarked at 5500+ on 3D mark 2001.  

shadows
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
OO software engineer.  The slowdown hit me.  First time in my career (5 years!) that I didn't get a double-digit raise.  Guess I've finally topped out my salary bracket
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#15]
IBM software engineer developing Z/OS formerly known as OS/390, formerly known as MVS, etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBM software engineer developing Z/OS formerly known as OS/390, formerly known as MVS, etc.
View Quote

Dang dude,
your one of the serious software guru's aren't you [:)]

mike
View Quote

He's working on one of the last three they still have running [:)]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a software engineer for an SF Bay Area software company.  Mostly, I work with clustering software (Unix and NT).

The economy has hit me pretty hard.  There are little or no bonuses, the stock is in the tank and my options are worthless. I lost big dough in the company stock plan, and I could be "downsized" in a few months if things don't turn around.  I'm sure I could find another job, but salaries are down in my area of expertise.  Hopefully, a more stable company will buy us out since the stock is so cheap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not in IT, I'm in DP and have been for 24 years.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
BeerSlayer,

Actually some guys in I think New Mexico put together a Quake interface to systems administration. Processes were little guys running around in Quake, and to kill a process you whipped out your shotgun and blazed away at them. The dying soldiers executed a kill() on the process they represented.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]
My parent company is getting hammered, but the guys that I am contracted to support are unwilling to let me go because I know half their systems better tham any of their actual employees. I'm basicly a jack of all trades there. I handle everything from simple user problems to hardware failures to LAN/WAN issues. What really impresses tham is that I'll tear into any laptop and usually be able to fix the thing in a short period of time (no big deal to me, I used to do hardware repair on Thinkpads, here I only have one at a time to work on instead of the multiple I used to). I'm pretty secure, but that is about all I can hope for. There is no real chance to move around or jocky for higher pay because everyone is still hunkered down, hopeing the economy is going to turn around soon. I know quite a few guys who haven't faired so well...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in Software QA in "Silicon Valley", I do a lot of automation, and some white box testing.
Not as fun as collecting and shooting but it pays the bills.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys who have jobs, be grateful.

Here in Western PA, "right-sizing" is in full swing. If you've seen the movie Office Space, guys like Satish and Michael Bolton are chopped left and right. Marconi cut 300+ people, reclaiming stock options promised, because it take 5 years to be vested. FreeMarkets is a bloodbath. See computer guys in all industries walking dead.

Was a programmer for 2 Fortune companies. Talk about organizations being successful in spite of themselves . . .

Now a contracting net admin (?!), and act as IT depts for outfits that've cut to the bone. From Econ 101, "To be rational in an irrational world, is irrational."

"Tomorrow, you might win a million dollars, or get hit by a truck. Or you might win a million dollars, then get hit by a truck."
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I was a project lead software engineer with 14 years experience working in R&D for a French company in Hayward, CA, up until the middle of last month, when I got layed-off because the company moved R&D to France. Gone is my fat six-figure salary, replaced with this:

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Xw/Dn/ri/Dj64885.jpg[/img]

To add insult to injury, I received only one month's severance pay. And to top it off my tech stocks are down 90%-95%, which resulted in a paper loss of $150k. And my pregnant wife was recently layed off from the Fire Dept, so to put it bluntly, I'm screwed! :)

The only good thing is I signed a small contract with Cal. State University to develop an n-tier database server in C++ based on DCOM, with a little Java up front, so things are looking up. And I have more time to go shooting! he he

So, once I'm finished with the database server (a few months -- it's a small project), I might have to start looking for work.

So, yes, the slowing IT situation has affected me in a major way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 12:18:39 AM EDT
[#26]

I am in Austin working as a Network Admin. and my situation is as follows.  
I have no certs "never seem to have the time" and am 100% hands on experience guy. In the past 14 months I have been laid off once as the company went out of business, had a contracting job terminated as the company went out of business, quit another job because I saw the writing on the wall and could not have timed it better.  My last day there,I came to work to find 80% of my department was in the parking lot with their stuff in boxes.  So I am now at my 4th job in 14 months, have only been out of work for 6 weeks through it all, have continued to raise my salary, and I consider myself extremely lucky.
I have learned that unfortunately the trick is to always be on the job hunt. I also try and keep track of how much money the company has, the burn rate, and calculate potential layoff dates.  I try and do at least one interview a month to keep my interview skills sharp and to always give myself an out when the time comes and most important, never bury my head in the sand and pray that it won't happen to me.  
I have developed a real Mercenary attitude through all of this, i.e. if you are willing to pay more and are a more stable company than I am willing to move, nothing personal, as I am sure you feel the same when you lay people off. It business plain and simple.

Good luck to everybody in the job hunt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I am an MCSE-2K. Going for the CCNA soon. I have no complaints.

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#28]
att.net

Turnover is high enough that mass layoffs are almost unheard of.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#29]
My official title is systems analyst, but I gave that up early on and lucked into a hardware job. I work for a company that builds high end systems and I am currently involved in a project providing a box that runs a blood analyser that is shipped all over the world. I was just informed that I am secure for at least the next two years, so we will see where all this goes. It should be interesting!
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey Beer_slayer, nice to meet another IBMer!

Sfoo, we have a poster here that has a picture of a dinosaur. The caption reads "We're back and we're pissed!" . The mainframes are doing quite well. A lot of people are starting to run thousands of Linux images on one mainframe. Supporting one mainframe beats supporting thousands of individual systems.

We had a near-death experience back in the early ninties. Functions with over 200 people were wacked (less than 10 survivors) when we switched over from Bipolar to CMOS. It was a terrible time but I think that we are in a stronger position becuase of it.

We have been sheltered from the bad economy so far but I know that the current economic conditions will affect next year's raises.
We also did suffer some selected layoffs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I came back from Korea in 1998 and found the ISP I now work for, since coming on board I have learned enough to pass the A+ ...I spend my days troubleshooting dsl lines with ILEC Repair, and reprovisioning dsl lines, opening and closing trouble tickets, removing and reinstalling software with End Users who don't know the difference between a right and left click.  

I was hired by Jamcracker ( A kind of ASP) and then told they didnt have the money to hire me a week later, that was last december...that woould have been a 10,000 raise.  The downturn affected them and everyone that left here to go there is now laid off.

In my opinion, an ice cream store like Maggie Moos or Coldstone creamery is what would make me happiest....one day my kids will go to show and tell and say, 'My old man makes [b]ICE CEREAM!!![/b]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#33]
AR-15gal,

I work here in Albuquerque for a contract IT firm and I'm on government contract. If we get an opening I will let you know if you are interested in Albuquerque. We don't care about certifications. They are nice but we have a 2 hour oral technical interview we will put you through and if you pass that we don't care if you have certs or not. By the way, the team I'm on is 50% shooters and we own everything from Barrett's to full auto M-16's. Our government boss is a lady who used to reload. [^]
Tom in NM
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm a VB/ASP programmer with about 9 years experience. As of Tues, I will have been out of work for 4 months! Man, things are rough all over. Wish me luck, I have my 1st second interview Tues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I am an Oracle DBA/Lawson Administrator (SUN/HP based) in North Atlanta and I managed to dodge the bullet when they laid off 25 people with the company I am with last Jan. 25th. I used to get 3 to 4 calls from headhunters a week and now I am lucky to get one and he is looking to place someone! Here in Atlanta the hardest hit are web services people, those that I have kept in touch with are still either looking for work are out of the industry altogether.

My manager told me recently that management wanted to lay off me off along with the others on the 25th as I “cost too much”. My manager told them if they laid me off all of our custom built systems would grind to a halt in less than a week and we would have to pay all of our clients mega $$$ in fines for lost business. Suddenly I did not look too expensive to them! Needless to say my morale/loyalty to the company is tenuous at best! And companies today wonder why there is no loyalty left! I cannot wait until I get my Green Card next year.

The thing that really irks me is that I was employee of the year last year and they want to dispose of me over a few $$$$$! Heck by industry standards and local pay scale I am underpaid by 15%, cheap b*stards! At least I have a gig, too many good people out there don’t.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top