Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/22/2001 8:52:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2001 8:52:15 AM EDT by PROTEUS_X3]
[b][blue]Gun Owners Lash Out at 'Self-righteous Doctors'[/b][/blue] David Thibault, CNSNews.com Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2001 A new "gun safety" campaign, launched by Johns Hopkins Children's Center is "misguided" and "aimed at demonizing guns," according to a spokesman for Gun Owners of America. The campaign, "Asking Saves Kids" (ASK), was introduced at a news conference Monday in Baltimore. Developed by Johns Hopkins Children's Center, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Maryland Attorney General's Office, it will urge parents, before sending their children over to play at a neighbor's house, to ask the other parents whether they keep a gun in the house. Pediatricians from Johns Hopkins will take the opportunity during child wellness visits to suggest questions that parents should ask and give advice about how to go about asking those questions. [center][b]page1[/b][/center]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2001 8:54:53 AM EDT by PROTEUS_X3]
"This is not about gun control. It's about gun safety," said Holly Hamilton, associate director of public affairs at Johns Hopkins Children's Center. "It's about prevention. As pediatricians, our doctors work to prevent accidents." Monday's news conference was held on the third anniversary of the death of 13-year-old John Price, who was accidentally shot and killed by an 11-year-old friend. According to a statement released by Children's Center, "John was visiting at the boy's home and the children found the gun in an unlocked dresser drawer." Erich Pratt, director of communications for Gun Owners of America (GOA), said parents have a right to ask any questions they like. However, "what we have a problem with is these self-righteous doctors suggesting to their patients that these are the kinds of questions they need to be asking, when in reality, guns save lives 7,000 times a day." It is also hypocritical, Pratt insisted, "for these doctors to be focusing on guns when guns accidentally kill less than 200 times a year and yet doctors accidentally kill 98,000 times a year, almost triple the total number of gun deaths in a year." The ASK campaign will give parents tips on how to broach the sensitive topic of guns, advising them to ask about firearms at the same time questions are asked about animals in the house or how much television the children will watch. [center][b]END[/b][/center]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:05:35 AM EDT
This doctor's group is trying to divert attention away from itself, and to something that is a little more convient scapegoat. I would question the objectivity of these doctors who believe that guns are the problem of society after consulting all of the facts, in relation to diagnosis for their patients.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:11:21 AM EDT
"As pediatricians, our doctors work to prevent accidents." Right....if Drs. really worked at preventing accidents they & the for profit hospitals they work for/with would be out of business. Medicine is like any other business...they are there to make money...very few M.D.s "work to prevent"...they work to "treat" as that is where the $ is. What will they ASK about next? Religion? Political affiliation? Genetic makeup? Nationality? Where do the boundaries stop? Sounds like BS to me. The Pediatricians in my bldg. go all out against firearms...I balance it out by promoting them as much as I can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:25:28 AM EDT
I recently saw my peds doc 2 weeks ago, and she asked all these questions about how safe is our home for our children, like when you children ride their bicyles, do they have helmets etc. Then asked the gun question, "do you have a gun in your house?" without giving me time to answer, she went on to the next question. Appearently I think my doc feels that this is a personal question, nevertheless she has to ask it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:36:59 AM EDT
As a very pro-gun husband of a pediatrician, I can appreciate the concern that everyone has over doctors asking about guns in the house. My wife has been given the questions to ask and they didn't stress guns over any other household item that can hurt kids. Now asking playmates parents the same questions seems to be a little more difficult. Are you supposed to question the the other parents on everything from refrigerator latches, to empty 5 gallon pails, to prescription drugs, to household cleaners? Not to mention inhalants (solvents), and whippet producing whipped cream containers? I personally take the stance of the US on nuclear weapons- We will neither confirm nor deny the presence of any weapons. (In some neighborhoods guns in a house are as much as an attractant as a repulsor.) Your doctor, in the course of mentioning common household danger items, should mention that guns should be out of reach of children. Now you don't have to listen to them, and keep a loaded AR next to your bed, but some people run with scissors and I don't think we should ostracize those one eyed bastards either. Oh, did I mention that my pediatrician wife has over 50 handguns given to her by her father? I'm a trophy husband with a well armed wife!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:47:15 AM EDT
On a recent trip to Boston, I saw two billboards along the highway, right next to each other. The first said [b]Number of Kids Killed by guns today: 12[/b] The second said: [b]Number of National Gun Laws passed today: 0 [/b] What they really needed was a third sign that said - [b] Number of National guns laws on the books today: 22,000 [/b] And then a fourth sign that said: [b]Sign number 1 considers a multiple ceonviction felon gang banger that is 19 years old to be a "kid." [/b] Like the docs, just another example of lying and intentionally distorting the issue to accomplish your agenda.
Top Top