Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/21/2001 10:40:58 AM EDT
I am wondering when everyone started teaching their kiddos to shoot. My Dad taught me around 7yrs. Now my boy is dangerously close to 7yrs and have picked him up a BB gun for starters to learn safety, basics and the like. Still haven't had a chance to give it to him (stuck in damn CA for another month) but that is first on the list when I get home. Anyways, just curious when everyone got their kids envolved.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:45:43 AM EDT
Red Rider = me when I was six learned safty and when I was ready got some BB's Daisy (like Red Rider but smaller) = 6 year old daughter shell get BB's when she is ready. Ready = Saftey Saftey Saftey once she excibitts all and I do mean ALL the Safty requirements she'll get a FEW BB's...well go from there. she is learning proper stance and breathing too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:48:16 AM EDT
Yup, the Red Ryder is what I picked up. Figured a nice easy going spring action would be the way to start. I agree completely, learn safety before shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:58:59 AM EDT
My son is 7 years of age and he shoots a BB gun right now. He shoots BB guns with Boy Scouts and Bow and arrows. I have bought him a Rough rider .22 and a Rossi pump .22. He is ready to shoot his .22 now. I just have to find a place to take him with no other guys around shooting loud guns. The noise is what scares him now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:06:30 AM EDT
Here is the info I can offer, When I was 2 My father picked my up a Savage24V in a 222 over a 20gauge, he kept it in the cabinet until I was probably about 5 that's about as far as I could remember ( except stepping in a hole ice fishing when I was 3) and I got to shoot it off the bench a couple times, a year or so later I got a Marlin 22 and used to shoot that and I started shooting at some turkey shoots with it, shortly after I got a Anchutz 1403 and started shooting matches small bore by 3rd grade, and it kind of when on from there.. During this time I also spent allot of time reloading with my dad, before I was 11 I wasn't aloud to measure my own powder. I shot smallbore up into Sept 92 when I got the call that my grandfather was in the hospital and was very sick, I left that evening, in that year my parents separated and a year later my dad moved to IL. I made the horrible mistake of selling most of the shooting stuff I had ( was sold legally ) I Kept the Savage, which I still have today. Up until about a year and a half ago I haven't done any shooting, and when I did I realized how much I missed it, I had enough stuff left over from smallbore to get into Highpower which I did this spring, also got back into reloading. I am also a single father, I have a 3 year old boy, right now he can name the parts on my guns ( bolt, barrel, stock, scope, safety ) its a start. I think by next fall, I may have him out the range. Right now he also "helps" me reload and clean my guns. He don't know it yet but there is a Savage 24F on layaway for him... [;)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:37:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:44:35 AM EDT
I started my daughter off at 5 with a 22, my son started when he was 5 with a bb gun. My daughter who is now 8 has her own AR, collapsible stock and short barrel. An elcan on top and she hits anything out to 300 yards, really good. My 6 year old son is now shooting a cut down ruger 10/22. He likes open sights better than anything optical. He can keep a can dancing until he runs out of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:46:03 AM EDT
First started taking my eldest son to the range when he was 7. Bought him a .22 Chipmunk for his first rifle. At that age I thought he was responsible enough to learn to shoot, and he's proved me right. Not all kids are alike, age doesn't really matter when it comes to maturity, I'm a prime example [;)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:33:25 PM EDT
Safety education needs to start well before 6-7. Teach kids about safety when they are 4 and get their first cap gun. I got mine then, and I didn't even know it wasn't real. In fact, I remember hiking in the woods with my father shooting trees and stuff. He had his Browning lever action .22, and I had my Cowboy cap rifle. We used to compare bullet marks in the trees. Dad was so great, he would let me claim some of the best shots! I finally got a real Daisy pump gun when I was 7, but my dad would always let me shoot his other guns. I could honest to goodness beat him at shooting clay pigeons when I was young. I had learned safety long before my first BB gun. I wrote a letter to a Gun Safety website awhile back recommending this method to those who have the means as a way to increase safety. They ignored me. Obviously, they are more interested in trigger locks and magazine bans then Real Safety.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:48:28 PM EDT
Gun Safety at 2, shooting at 4, at 7 my I asked my daughter what she wanted for her birthday, she said, 'bullets Daddy'
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:54:34 PM EDT
Gun safety at age 2 - shooting (with me holding the gun) at age 4. Tate
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:01:50 PM EDT
I was 5 or 6. My dad let me shoot his Colt .45acp "Commander" model. Wasn't ready for the kick and smacked myself [i]real[/i] good in the nose. No more shooting for a while... [:)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:38:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:16:46 PM EDT
Mike Jr will be 5 in Feb. Last time he was around for our visitation, I was getting dress for work and he was sitting on my bed talking to me. As I put my duty belt on, He asked if he could see my gun. I drew, and secured my Glock 22 and handed it to him with the slide locked back. To see the glow on his face made me feel almost 10 feet tall. What happened next scare the hell out of me. My little 4 year old son looked at me, Pointed at the chamber and told me "daddy this is where the bullets go". My #1 Ex wife is a good mother, but not the most safely conscious person, Nor the sharpest blade in the drawer, And the thought of my son knowing as much as he does, and the Ex being as irresponsible scares me. I only hope that the 3 weeks we spend together 3 times a year I can teach him as much firearm safety and respect as possible.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:11:57 PM EDT
I taught my son at 12, my daughter at 8..... My daughter has approached me about training her son... THERE IS HOPE!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:57:30 PM EDT
I got a BB gun when I was three. I got my first REAL gun at three and a half.(Dad didn't want to push me!) After numerous trips to the range, and reading about Annie Oakley, my oldest daughter,(then nine)convinced me to buy her a rifle. I bought her a Daisey bolt action .22.They were only made for two years. It has a ten round mag, and was also available as a single shot, and they also made a semi. All had a plastic stock, and a SS barrel liner. This little gun has been through all my four daughters,(my youngest is 11) and, will be there for my grandkids. My eleven year old made me put the original stock back on my 10-22, so it would fit her better.(I can't pry my MK-II out of her fingers either.) If you are blessed with girl children, please take them to the range with you. You may learn a little yourself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:23:59 AM EDT
All he knows at 2 1/2 is that he already likes the Will. [:D] His first will be a bb gun. Next will be a 10/22. After that I'll let him decide. But just in case he wants something black 'n ugly, I'm already in the process of building him a CAR-15 and collecting mags. If he don't want it..... It's mine baby, it's mine. [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Stealth%2FAlex%5Fand%5FRifle1%2EJPG[/img]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:28:20 AM EDT
Wont be too long before he trades that pacifer for an AR, keep them unloaded till he gets bigger or better yet in a safe. I'm not really sure when I started mine on guns, I guess it started from birth and still goes on every day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:43:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Confederate: Wont be too long before he trades that pacifer for an AR, keep them unloaded till he gets bigger or better yet in a safe. I'm not really sure when I started mine on guns, I guess it started from birth and still goes on every day.
View Quote
You know it! Should of mentioned... mag in the well is for the photo op. That rifle is double locked (combo/key). The rest are safely stowed in a safe, as with all the ammo. That one just didn't fit. He knows what he's not suppose to play with, he's just not old enough yet to do what he's told all the time. I don't take chances concerning the youngster. He knows about them, and they're part of my (and his) life, and always will be. The rest comes soon enough.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:10:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:35:01 AM EDT
I started hunting with a bolt action .410 when I was 5. I hunted 2 years without shells until my dad was satisfied. I think Ill do the same with my daughters who are 2 and 10 months. Already taught my oldest a little gun safety when I am cleaning mine. I dont think you can be too early to start.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:50:03 AM EDT
My son is only 14 months right now but he love to help Daddy clean his gun's( I don't let him touch a thing but he want to.) The first gun I shot was a S&W 39-2 that I still have to this day I was about 6 years old and my father took me to the range where he was setting up for me to shoot a 22. well I know how to load the 9mm so I did and with out my dad looking I took a shot then placed the safety on and set it down. My father was pissed as hell at me but was still proud as can be because I know how to handle the pistol the right way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:56:27 AM EDT
In 1976, my dad helped me shoot a Ruger .22 Bearcat when I was 2. I don't remember myself but that's what my parent's told me. I've been shooting ever since.
Top Top