Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 8:28:22 PM EDT

Just saw a blurb on this film earlier this evening. It orignally wrapped shortly before Columbine took place, so the studio waited to release it to not appear to capitalize on the incident. I'm curious to see how the story will treat the whole guns/schools/troubled youths issue...maybe we'll see more emphasis on human problems. If so, this will be a rare step in the right direction from the media, though I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an 'adaptation' of Othello, set in a modern day high school.  What the hell were the producers thinking?

The only time a work of Shakespeare is ever told correctly is when it is done in period, and in full length (the Kennith Branagh version of Hamlet is the only exception to the first rule, and it more than makes up for it by sticking to the second).

Here's a short run down:

Romeo and Juliet (1996) - sucked.
10 things I hate about you (loosely based on [/i]The Taming of The Shrew[/i] - sucked.
Hamlet (1990, Mel Gibson) - sucked.

Othello (1995) - good.
Romeo and Juliet (1968) - good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Othello (1995) - good.
View Quote

That is the best Shakespeare movie adaptation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked "Much ado about nothing"
GG
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw some movie called "Titus" that had Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange in it. Very strange film.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Armitage22, how about the Ian McKellan "Nazi Era" RichardIII? (Now I can't even remember if that's the right one.)
As for "O", I doubt I'll waste my time or $$$.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#7]
i bet when and if it comes out it will be boycotted to death

peronaly i think it looks like a big piece of sh*t
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm.  Along the lines of classics being put into a more modern form...

[b]"Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"[/b]

A good one, but strange indeed.  Imagine a Green Comedy/Tragedy taking place in depression-era Alabama.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's an 'adaptation' of Othello, set in a modern day high school.  What the hell were the producers thinking?

The only time a work of Shakespeare is ever told correctly is when it is done in period, and in full length (the Kennith Branagh version of Hamlet is the only exception to the first rule, and it more than makes up for it by sticking to the second).

Here's a short run down:

Romeo and Juliet (1996) - sucked.
10 things I hate about you (loosely based on [/i]The Taming of The Shrew[/i] - sucked.
Hamlet (1990, Mel Gibson) - sucked.

Othello (1995) - good.
Romeo and Juliet (1968) - good.
View Quote

I thought the latest movie adaptation of Hamlet, with Ethan Hawke as Hamlet, was pretty damn good.  It was kind of weird to see Bill Murray do Shakespeare, though.

Richard III with Ian McKellan as Richard was a really slick adaptation with a different setting, too.

The thing about Shakespeare is that the material really shines through, and actors work extremely hard to give a good performance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I saw some movie called "Titus" that had Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange in it. Very strange film.
View Quote

Odd thing about that one, it was pretty much like the play.  It was 'early' Shakespeare, and during his early period he had to make a living like everybody else.  This play was written for the masses, who enjoyed death, betrayal, and gore (which Titus is replete with).

Nobody's perfect... ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top