Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 7:51:31 PM EDT
[url]http://www.fire-balls.com/catalog.asp?display=3[/url] [red] 37mm Bird Bomb ALL NEW SALES OF THIS ITEM WILL BE BANNED BY THE ATF EFFECTIVE AUGUST 17, 2001.[/red] Nobody asked me if this was a good idea!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:12:35 PM EDT
SAME TIME THEY BANNED THE 12ga.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:46:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2001 8:54:05 PM EDT by cc48510]
Damn, wish I'd known before August 17. I planned on buying some, but was waiting to get a launcher. Does the launcher require NFA registration. I.E. is it capable of firing DD Rounds. P.S. 1Gunrunner, the ATF can ban any shotgun larger than 20 Gauge anytime they damn well please. Guns with barrels greater than 1/2" in diameter or .50 Caliber are Destructive Devices except Shotguns that are for sporting use. Whether or not they are sport or not is the ATF's choice.
(f) Destructive device. -- The term "destructive device" means (1) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (A) bomb, (B) grenade, (C) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, (D) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (E) mine, or (F) similar device; (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, [u]except a shotgun or shotgun shell which [red]the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes[/red][/u]; and (3) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device as defined in subparagraphs (1) and (2) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term "destructive device" shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signaling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10 of the United States Code; or any other device which the Secretary finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, or is an antique or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:36:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cc48510: (2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, [u]except a shotgun or shotgun shell which [red]the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes[/red][/u]; and
View Quote
anyone know how spudguns escaped this classification??
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:51:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: SAME TIME THEY BANNED THE 12ga.
View Quote
Yeah? I can't buy 12 ga bombs? I guess I'd better buy some then. Never wanted any before.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:18:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2001 2:45:25 PM EDT by Oslow]
Originally Posted By raf: I was going to say the reason was a dearth of 37mm birds...
View Quote
Please don't say that!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:16:16 PM EDT
Are you kidding me about the 12 gauge bird bombs? I've used a few of them in the past and they are sorta cool for what they are, they hardly impress me as any sort of ultra dangerous thing though, not that I'm fearless of them but I'd certainly be more affraid of a 12gauge slug than I'd ever be affraid of a 12gauge bird bomb(relatively speaking while acknowledging firearms are inheriently dangerous no matter what the ammo) until the distances got REAL close. My only wish was that bird bombs were cheaper so that I could have stocked up on them. I don't like paying something rediculous like 6-7 bucks for 3 freaking bird bombs. Anyhow, looks like a drive by the local gunshop might be in order depending on what the verdict is. I would pray that the bird bomb from a 12 gauge would be exempted because of it's agricultural uses, it's not sporting but it certainly is of value, don't know how many 37mm birdbombs get used every year but I bet my sweet ass that a good load of farmers use their 12 gauge hunting shotguns as double purpose to dispense both lead and birdbombs during certain times of the year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:22:13 PM EDT
The ATF decided that you must have an explosives license or an agricultural license in order to purchase birb bombs. The 15mm bird bombs are gone as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:36:48 AM EDT
I suppose you could scare someone real bad with these things. What a load of crap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:44:38 AM EDT
I guess we reloaders will not be able to buy gunpowder soon too....
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:15:04 AM EDT
I remember someone posting this a few months ago.... I just did a search for 12 gauge bird bombs and went to a site selling them... Check out the last paragraph. Btw, the site is [url]www.hi-vel.com[/url] 12 GAUGE BIRD BOMBS THE 12 GAUGE "BIRD BOMB OR SHELL CRACKER" AS THEY ARE COMMONLY CALLED, LAUNCHES AN EXPLOSIVE PROJECTILE APPROXIMATELY 150 FEET WHEN FIRED FROM A SHOTGUN. THESE CARTRIDGES ARE WIDELY USED BY FARMERS, NURSERIES AND AT AIRPORTS TO SCARE AWAY UNWANTED BIRDS AND PESTS. THE PAYLOAD IS EQUIVALENT TO AN M-80 FIRECRACKER. FOR WILDLIFE AND AGRICULTURAL USE ONLY! HV-0601 $5.95/PKG OF 3 (HAZMAT) HV-0602 $37.95/BOX OF 25 (HAZMAT) Effective 5/23/01 the BATF has ruled that these items may require having an explosive license and they are no longer available to us. These products are presently under litigation by the importer and the BATF and we are awaiting final disposition.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:25:47 PM EDT
I WANT MY %#*&&^# 37MM BIRD BOMBS! #@*@^&#&%!
Top Top