Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 7:33:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
KEEP the coin they are worth more the a dollar right now. Collector bought them all up to make the price of them go higher and it has.

They are not meant to be spent. That was what I was told and read in a coin collecting article I read(My older brother is in to this stuff.)

It should be worth a lot in about 5 to 10 years
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Those new Indian head dollar pieces have a gold content of zero. They are an alloy pretty similar to video arcade tokens.

Paper
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They also 'tarnish' extremely quickly if used.  I have not seen a single one since within 2 or 3 months of their release, and I work in a city with a Federal Reserve bank.

I once got 7 of them in change from a stamp machine though, you could try those to find them...
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been an avid coin/currency collector for years.

If you get a "golden dollar" just spend it! They are worth $1, and if you want more just go to your bank and ask for more! The bank carries them in rolls of $25.

I spend them all the time, trading in my bills for the coins. I also spend $2 bills (you can get those at the bank too...), I love the look on peoples faces when I hand over a $2 bill and a gold coin for a $3 purchase. They have no idea when the stuff goes in the register till.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweep- You make excellent points!  The coin collecting community debated the same issues hotly with no agreement on any of them it seems.

Another ironic coin includes the last dollar with Susan B. Anthony on it.  She was an atheist but "In God We Trust" is right under her nose!

If you're interested in more of the coins, just buy a single postage stamp with a $5, $10, or $20 bill from the vending machine at your post office.  The change will be brand new Sacagawea gold color dollars mixed with some Susan B's.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I do not see the investment value of these coins the gold dollar coins for one reason.  Limited edition of half a billion.  Same goes for the people that collect the 50 states coins.  It is a waste of time and money.  To actually believe that the gold dollar would be worth something in 10 years is a bordering on being a moron.  

The same applies to sport trading cards.

Nathaniel Hawkins.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The 50 State Quarter Program was important from the standpoint that it got many new people into coin collecting, especially youths.  The coins themselves may never be worth much in value, but they have introduced many into a new hobby that will be very rewarding in enjoyment.  To many it's boring, but once you start to learn the many facets of it, it can be fascinating!

I never fail to be amazed when wondering where a really old coin has been & who owned it before me, especially if it's a mint state coin.

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#10]
one thing people didnt mention that gold coating rubs of ive had some of those new doller coins that had the "gold" kinda rubbed off
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Take a good look at each Golden Dollar you have.

There was a dude working in a mint that used Golden Dollar blanks and stamped quarter faces on it.

These "rare" dollars were fetching several thousand dollars on auction.

The dude was busted for being greedy.

Actually I'm surprised these coins weren't declared illegal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:07:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One of the things that may help get the new coin accepted is that vending machines are being updated to accept them, and believe me, it's far easier to use a coin than fight with the bill reader.

-Troy
View Quote

Yep, there is a car wash here that will only accept the things!  Happily, a change machine is nearby to convert real money into these.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody I know tried to buy a soda at Walmart with a golden dollar, the clerk's response? "We dont take foreign money." She eventually called a manager, who had to explain to the clerk that $2 bills and $1 coins did exist. [rolleyes]

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a small collection of coins. I have an Aunt who has bought me a proof set for my birthday for the last 27 years. I have them from 1974 to present. The oldest proof set I have is a 1962 set with a Ben Franklin half dollar. I also have other stuff like a couple Carson City Morgan Dollars and Liberty Head Dollars. My dad has the good stuff, like a whole series of commeorative half dollars from the 20's to 50's. He also bought silver coins by the pound for the silver content back in the 70's along with about 30 Krugerands. He's told me that if his house ever burns down, I need to beat the fire department there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:12:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Another ironic coin includes the last dollar with Susan B. Anthony on it.
View Quote

Are you sure that's Susan B. Anthony?  I thought it was Robert DeNiro.  [>:/] [:D]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
KEEP the coin they are worth more the a dollar right now. Collector bought them all up to make the price of them go higher and it has.

They are not meant to be spent. That was what I was told and read in a coin collecting article I read(My older brother is in to this stuff.)

It should be worth a lot in about 5 to 10 years
View Quote

you have got to be kidding ( I hope )  You really don't believe what you typed, do you?  If so, you need to get out more...
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:39:15 AM EDT
[#17]
They are as worthless as paper FRNs... if you want to save coins save nickels
at least there is some metal in them that may be worth something... if you really want an inexpensive coin worth something...consider junk silver coins in dimes quarters and halves...you can get these cheap.. they have history and 90% silver content which will always be worth something...unlike the alloy in this new issue...imo
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I don't see how these things could be worth more than a dollar either. I get these things at the post office and out of the change machine at work and even the snack machine spits them out as change for a $5.

I myself think they are kind of annoying. The last thing I want is more change in my pocket.

I agree that the only way these things are going to catch on is if they just discontinue the $1 bill.

Michael
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#19]
ARRRGGG.....

The $1 gold coins are worth $1.

The $2 bills are worth $2.

The $1 Susan B. coin is worth $1.

If you hold onto $1 gold coins hoping to make money on them, you won't.

It always makes me laugh that QVC sells rolls of the dollar coin at $45 to $50 when they are face value at the bank.

Same with the 50 state quarter program. As much as I hate American coin designs, they did help the hobby out. But now EVERYONE is holding onto the quarters because they think they will be woth something.

Unless it's an error coin, or real low mintage, it's just someting to add to a collection. Not someting to make money off of.

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at smokycity's post. The only American coins I buy are the Mint proof sets. I buy a silver proof set every year, and they have only gone up in value. Some are worth more than others, but all have gone up. Proof sets are the way to go.

I also buy a silver Eagle every year, and a 1 oz. gold Eagle every year. Those coins will hold onto their value much better than coins you find in your pockets.

Edited because it's still to friggin early...
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:40:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Coin dealers (up my way at least) are offering 50-75 cents for mint-uncirculated Delaware & Pennsylvania quarters already.  You [i]can[/i] make $$ off of them.

--BTW, pretty insignificant post for the 1000th, isn't it?  Woohoo!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah. It is pretty funny the trash people collect in coins thinking it is collectable.

Bi-Centennial Quarters, Kennedy 1/2's (Not the Silver 64's or the Clad's, but the run of the mill ones), common $2 Bills, all of it.

You seriously may as well spend them.

I like the 50 state quarter program a lot. It gets kids involved with coin collecting. IMO, World Coin Collecting is probably one of the best hobbies ever. You would be amazed at the history you unconciously absorb through researching your coins. When I have kids, I am going to try and give them the bug.
I personally am a "Cherry Picker". I pick out seemingly common coins based on die variety.
A good Loupe, and JT Stantons book will help anyone start, and it is really fascinating. You would be amazed how many Coin Dealers have very rare coins sitting in their junk bin.
I recently purchased a VG/EX 1910-S Cent Repunched Mint Mark State 3 for $5.00 from a dealer.
Sold it on e-bay for $65!!!
Knowledge is key at that game.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I have five of the NC quarters that are misstamped, they read"first flight" instead of "first in flight"
echo6
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Landon, you seem to be up on the current info, and I've been out of the serious collecting game for many years now.

I have one of the 50 state quarters with _no_ mint mark, all the others I've seen have been stamped for Philly or Denver.  Have you heard of any of those before?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#27]
1.  Money fresh from the Federal Reserve in sequential order can be obtained from the bank.  Just make sure you have enough money to cover the order and place your order 3 days in advance.  Cost is $1.00 per strap, $6.00 min charge.
2.  Proof sets do not mean squat to me.  I have in my possession 10,000 mint Morgan Silver Dollars that my grandfather left to me 30 years ago.  Will not part, I'm not expecting to make any money from it.  Also have 20,000 walking liberty half-dollars in ex-fine condition.  If anyone asks what reason I have such a large amount of silver in my possession, it was due to the Hunt brothers trying to corner to silver market in the 70s.  Was hording them to melt down for the silver content.  Missed the boat and well keep them for sentimental value.
3.  The Susan B. Anthony Gold Coins can also be obtained from the bank.  Just ask in advance at the bank.  3 days later you will have it.
4.  50 states do not mean squat.  I can also place an order with my bank for any state.  Cost is about .10 per roll, $6.00 min.
5.  Anyone thing they can make money off coins that are minted in the billions are total fools and deserve to loose money.  A case in point, check out the inflated prices baseball cards were going for in the early 90s and the crash afterwards.

If your interested in making money, the stock market is a better alternative, real estate, or start your own busines where you have at least more control over it.

Nathaniel Hawkins.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#28]

I've gotten the gold colored dollar coins at the bank in rolls also and get strange looks at local businesses when I use them.

BTW, you can still get brand new 1976 $2 bills at the banks in addition to the newer 1996? ones.  Just ask.  I've seen the '50's and '60's? vintage $2 bills in very good condition going for $3.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#29]
[b]5.A case in point, check out the inflated prices baseball cards were going for in the early 90s and the crash afterwards.[/b]

You are about to get a world class lesson on Sports Cards, free of charge.
Having been a collector of both, I can tell you there is a HUGE difference. Baseball cards are of no intrinsic value. Furthermore, they are made with impunity by the card companies. When the insert craze happened in the early 90's, there were 5 or 6 basic companies, each producing 1 or 2 sets. Example? 91 Upper Deck Hank Aaron Holograms were coming out 2-3 a box, and dealers charging $40.00 each for them. All of a sudden, all the people who pulled them from packs tried to sell them, and realized no one was buying, since everyone else already had one. They had to face the stone cold realization that
"it's only worth what people are willing to pay", and that Beckett wasn't omnipotent. In 1990, when production exploded, you saw Donruss and Fleer produce so much garbage, people saw how easy it was for the companies to create those things. You can still today get boxes of 36 Packs of 90 Fleer for $4.00. Now, 20 different companies produce 10-15 sets each, with confusing paralel inserts. That amounts to hundreds of sets each year. Look at a Beckett sometime. The first 40 years of cards are on the first 4 pages. The next 70 pages are comprised of the years 1992-2001, and they [b]STILL[/b] can't fit all the sets in. Once it got that way, THAT's when they market crashed.

Then, the hobby tried to create a false market within itself by charging outrageous prices for packs... Who in gods name wants to pay $8.00 for a pack of 3 cards? People began to realize that it was all a joke, as the card companies got greedy.

But the #1 thing, the straw that broke the camels back of the card market, was the internet becoming commonplace, and places like e-bay popping up. It used to be you had to go into a shop and hope they had the card you wanted. Once they got it, they could ask what they pleased. With the new, a whole free market opened up. All of a sudden, Bills Cards in Oklahoma who had that Clyde Drexler rookie card sitting in the case for the past year could find buyers in Portland, Oregon who were interested.
Same with Bob's Cards in Phoenix, and his Drexler RC,
and Jims Cards in New York, and his Drexler RC
And Petes Cards in Miami, and his Drexler RC

The competition caused the prices to crash once people began to realize how many of these things there really were, and how few people really wanted them (Trust me. I ate shit on my Sports Card collection)- Now, with PSA and BGS 3rd party grading, there is a bit of an upswing in interest by people hoping to get a PSA 10, but that market will crash too...

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#30]
never typed a post this long. Continued for anyone who cares...

With coins, it's a totally different ballgame. There is a much broader interest. Only a few people collect baseball cards, but anyone would pull a mecury dime out of circulation. Why? Because it's a more understood and pervacive hobby.
The production of Cards isn't nearly that of certian coins. Especially world coins. Early Israeli commemrative coins I predict will totally blow up, due to insanely low mintages (In some cases, as low as 8000 coins) in contrast to equally insanely low prices (That 8000 mintage coin can be had in brilliant uncirculated condition for $20.00)
Now, is it as good an investment as some stocks?
Well, I guess that's realitive seeing how the false tech economy went the way of baseball cards.
But I can tell you one thing.
Looking over a bunch of neat and interesting world coins is a hell of a lot more fun than knowing I have 10 shares of AT&T.

Landon the Collector
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the new gold colored dollar coin, it's bigger, thicker and has a smooth edge. The Susan B looked and felt too much like the quarter. I just wish more laundry machines were converted so I don't have to carry around ten pounds of quarters just to finish a load. For some reason, the Post office pumps these dollar coins out like there is no tomorrow. And with so many parking lots going to total automation, it's sometimes a real nightmare feeding paper bills into the slot just watch it spit back out over and over and over.

I watched the History Channel last night, they had a really interesting program called "Making a Buck". It was a history of conterfeiting and money making. Learned a lot about monetary systems in general. It blew me away that no matter what you do, print or say, it all comes down to one word. "Confidence". The only value paper bills or coinage of any type has is it's percieved value. That goes for collectables too. Mexico could make coins out of platnum and diamonds and they wouldn't have any more percieved value than zinc filled U.S. coins.

They also said to expect changes in paper money once every 7 to 10 years. So if you hate the current batch of new dollars, get ready, they aren't even getting started yet. With the current level of color printers, counterfeiters are coming out of the woodwork. I like what Australia and Europe is doing to combat counterfeiting. Plastic papers with transparent windows and holograms all over the place. Only the best counterfiters would even attempt to print these newer bills. Limiting the amount of phony dollars floating around and increasing world wide confidence and value.

Our current batch of paper bills are still being pumped out on high quality laser printers at an alarming rate. If we or the world loses confidence in the value of our dollar, it could bring down the entire economy.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. I have recieved a few mis-stamped or double stamped quarters as  change over the years. I saw somewhere that these defects are worth bucks as they are rare. So if you get any US coins that are screwed up in any way, hold onto them. Collectors value only.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#32]

If anything the gold dollars will be worth less in the future (depreciation).

I’ve looked into coin collecting several times, and even collected some
double eagles and Morgan dollars over the years, but never could get
really interested in the hobby.

However, I really like the state quarter program.  Even have one of those
large cheesy fold out game board things that you stick each quarter in.
Sure the proof sets can be an investment, but it’s fun finding a new state
your change and jamming into the cardboard slot.

I know they’ll never be worth more than a quarter, but it’s fun!

RK
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Yup, I've heard that about misstruck coinage. And it has to be misstruck from the mint, not from someone whacking it with a hammer. I've heard about Kennedy half dollars with two heads, one head offset from another head.

Is the U.S. about the only country printing paper dollars? Many nations have the equivalent of a five dollar coin.

I saw a documentary about foiling counterfeiters. The surest ways were multiple colors, changing paper sizes, and alternative materials. Besides the plastic "paper," there's also the addition of a hologram. The added bonus is that such bills are extremely durable. Thailand came out with a commemorative 50 baht bill in plastic. I've still got a couple of these; they're beautiful. Very thin and pliable as paper, intricate design, easy to discern detailing, and a watermark to boot. Will someone eventually counterfeit these? Of course! Never discount the ingenuity of man. But it definitely ups the ante.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Two things.

In foreign countries,1, 2 and 5 dollar coins are common and really you get a lot of buying power for a small size in your pocket. Much better than worthless pennies, nickles and dimes that take up space.

Second, the mistake with the sacagawea is that it tarnishes way too fast, and when tarnished has the same general appearance as a dirty quarter. Causes confusion when tarnished.

You can get your bank to give you some by asking and they spend just fine.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have five of the NC quarters that are misstamped, they read"first flight" instead of "first in flight"
echo6
View Quote

Are you willing to sell one or two?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#36]
The gold colored $1 coins are Sacagewa, not Suzy B.  Sac is the indian woman who guided Lewis & Clark on their expedition.  At our state (NJ) bullseye pistol championship, we give one away for every clean target.  It's great fun to be able to yell out "Sacagawea" when you shoot a clean target.  

The older $1 coins were the Suzy B Anthony coins.  Went on a tour through the Philly mint a while ago.  They're cranking 'em out as fast as they can.

I also had the joy of riding on the Chicago subways & buses earlier this year.  All coin operated.  Guess what you get in change if you put a bill in the changers?  Sacagaweas.

Norm
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
echo6
View Quote

Are you willing to sell one or two?
View Quote

That particular error he is citing is impossible.
All coins are minted from what's called "sister dies"-
Sister dies mare made from "father dies" which all come from one "master die"

So...
"Master Die" makes identical "Father Dies", which is used to make several "Sister Dies"-

There would have to be an error on the master die to cause an error he was talking about... and if there were, they all would be that way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone know the real deal on the NC quarter?  I got a bunch as change for cokes today, and just pulled the remaining four I had out of my pocket, and they all say "first flight".  Denver mint mark, I assume all from the same roll.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#39]
You mean this?

[url]http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=54259[/url]

I am not saying that this in fact an error. Simply that it really does say "First Flight", or at least, some of them do. But I have not seen any that said "First In Flight" so I don't know what's going on with that thing. Maybe it's the other way around?

Quoted:
That particular error he is citing is impossible.
All coins are minted from what's called "sister dies"-
Sister dies mare made from "father dies" which all come from one "master die"

So...
"Master Die" makes identical "Father Dies", which is used to make several "Sister Dies"-

There would have to be an error on the master die to cause an error he was talking about... and if there were, they all would be that way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, maybe they changed the minting procedure for the State Quarter program...

But if they all say "First Flight", then that isn't an error..
Are there any that say "First **in** Flight"?/?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Hate to break the news, but there was an AP wire news story in the paper last week about how the NC quarter "mismark" is a growing urban legend. They are correctly marked "first flight" to commemorate the Wright brothers first flight. The article says the mismark rumor started because the North Carolina auto tags say "first in flight", leading somebody to think that the coins were intended to read the same way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#42]
My cousin has some $1 bills that have blue ink and some have red ink on them. He used to work at McDonalds and told me thats where he got them from. When I seen them, they looked brand new. Does anyone know if they are worth more than they really are worth? I also have a friend with a silver quarter (made with real silver. Not copper? or brass? like the ones you usually have in your pocket). Is that worth more then $.25 too?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Coin collecting is no different than all the people who went to McDonalds just to get those little stuffed animals(can't remember what the hell they called em).  In a nutshell, something is worth what you can find someone else to pay for it.  If you don't have or can't find a buyer what you have is worthless. This is the same as the stock market.  You could have 2000 shares of a company and try to sell it, no one buys it so you have 2000 peices of paper, worthless, at that moment.

[beer]

I know about the stock thing, DAMN THOSE TECH COMPANIES!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Keep the silver quarters, and look out for silver dimes and old nickels too. The city I work in, there are a lot of retired people. Sometimes when I get food I have received more than a few Mercury head dimes and Buffalo nickels in change. Score!!! I occasionally get old pennies too, but they aren't as easy to catch. Dirty copper looks the same whether 10 or 100 years old. But silver has a very different feel to modern coins. Kinda of sticky smooth.

Out of the mis-struck quarters I have, one has a double image. I guess the stamp came down twice on the same coin. And the other one is incorrectly stamped 1/3" to the left. So there is a blank slab of metal in the shape of a crescent moon instead of a perfect border. These boo-boos are potentially worth even more than the silver coins. Gold $5 coins on the other hand...
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I think that one day in the near future there wont be a need for money as we know it.  We already get direct deposit into our ATM/Debit cards.  I bet someone could easily get by without any cash. All that metal won't be worth much if SHTF.  Real gold and silver will hold their value.  All these guys are right, whatever you are selling is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay.  

Now I did inherit a large coffee can of silver dollars when my dad passed away.  About $500 with JFK on them. Its worth more smd important to me because it was his and he collected them for fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top