Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 6:56:27 PM EDT
Good, knew that would get your attention. I need some advice here, I purchased a NIB preban bushy about a month ago, It's a A1 upper carbine with a tele stock. I just took it apart to clean it before I go shooting this weekend. The rear push pin is VERY stiff and would not come out unless I tapped it firmly with a pin punch. I figured it was just tight because it had probobly been years since it was apart. I cleaned everything and lubed it up and put it back together. The front pin goes in nicely but the rear one goes about 3/4 the way then stops. If I tap it with a plastic hammer, it goes in. with the upper off, both pins move in and out easily. I looked in from the opposite side in the hole an it looks to be lined up correctly, but it is still seems to be too tight. Is this a normal condition for a new (older, made in 94) AR ??? does it just need to be fired some ??
Any help would be appreciated, also, is it safe to fire ??
Thanks....
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Eagle Arms preban that does the same thing.  I have been told that it is no problem, I just make sure I have a small hammer and punch available when I use this rifle.  My other Eagles and Armalites do not have this problem.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Like the song from the early 80's says...

[i]WORK that SUCKER to DEATH!!!...sucker to death...!!![/i]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It should be safe as long as the bolt carrier works smoothly. Is it leaving a shiny spot on one side of the pin? If so a little emery cloth could solve your problem, but I bet it works itself out after a little time. Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a little tip I picked up lately from Mr. Tippie.

It sounds like you don't have a problem - but rather a blessing!  As you are most likely aware, many AR's (including mine before my Accu-wedge) tend to "rock" a little bit in the receiver.  Chances are, if your rear takedown pins are loose and easily removeable, you have a good bit of rock.  A tight fitting receiver will be VERY HARD to remove the pin - anyway from having to push extremely hard with your thumb, to punching the thing out with a hammer and chisel.  The latter, although more annoying, is the most desirable.  

When you have that rock, your upper receiver (based on the lower as an axis point) can move both up and down AND cant left/right.  During your shots, you're only securing the lower receiver...so the upper is free to move in odd directions that you can't account for.  Now, for carbines this difference is negligible in plinking and possibly short range target.  But for 300 yards, you'd have a better chance of scoring a prairie dog kill with your ironsights incorporating a nice, stiff receiver.

[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/new jew.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top