Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 6:37:34 PM EDT

I think I screwed up but tell me what you would have done this differently.
I stopped in the local shop and rob for a six pack of beer while on the way home this evening and as I pulled out of the parking lot a guy flagged me down to ask for directions.  He came from a payphone on my right and I stopped even with the gas pumps on my left to talk to him.  There was a pretty seedy looking gansta filling up his car with gas on my left.  The guy asking for directions looked clean cut so I stopped and as I gave him directions I locked the door, maintained eye contact (the Taurus 38 never left my waste band).  At no time did I glance over my shoulder at the guy filling the car.  the guy would have been coming from over my left shoulder (perpendicular to my truck door)
I could not see him with my head turned toward the passenger side door.
 I figured if he was going to sneak up behind me and shoot me in the back of the head I couldn’t stop him and if I turned my head the guy asking directions would have time to draw a gun.  I gave the guy directions and I left the parking lot without incident.

I guess when the guy tried to flag me down I could have driven right passed him.
I guess I did ok but how could I have handled the situation better?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you did ok, but remember your car has mirrors to give you a good view all around you.

If the guy from behind would have started comming up behing you, it should have been possible to notice him without losing concentration on the guy at your window.

But then, I wan't there, so....
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a sad time when you even have to think about things like this. I'm 35 years old and live in a small town and can remember when my dad would pick up hitch hikers but I don't do it now. I like to help people too but you also have to think about your family who are depending on you to come home safe. I think we all do things like this sometimes, and it's one of the things that make us feel good but it's also the kind of thing that can make sad headlines every so often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top