Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2001 4:09:29 PM EDT
Ok, I just recieved my Desi-Pak II from [red][url]www.dillonprecision.com[url][/red]. It says on the front of the pak not to reactivate. I called [b]Dillon Precision[/b] and they said not to and that it's cheaper just to buy another one. Is this just a marketing ploy so I'll buy another one instead of reactivating it. It's not silica gel like most of them. How often should I replace them? It's for my 8-gun safe...Thanx[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You should replace them every six months. Better yet, buy a Golden Rod and it will last for many years!
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the advice. Probably should b/c I'm not sure how well this type is working yet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If your safe isn't air tight, dessicant wont work for shit.  It will simply absorb ambient moisture from surrounding air (this includes air outside your safe).  Weather-strip your safe some how, I did.  The reason for them telling you not to regenerate it might have to do with the packaging it's in.  If you can remove it, simply nuke it for a minute.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
As a matter of fact, the door would not be air tight. Would the golden rod help if it weren't air tight? Or do I just need to weatherstrip it no matter what?

Lethal[|)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
IMHO, goldenrods just move "wet" air around to keep it from sticking to your guns, not absorb it.  Your safe should NOT be air tight when using a goldenrod.  I prefer dessicant because (1)I don't like the thought of something eletrical around paperwork and valuables, (2)one less thing to use electricity, (3)dessicant actually removes moisture, and (4)I get dessicant for free!  I know, that last one shouldn't count but I couldn't help it!  [^]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
So some simple stick-on weather stripping from the local hardware store would make the door an air tight seal? Is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks for the advice about the goldenrods Swywaiz. I really don't want something electrical in my safe either.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's the foam type, try to make sure it's 'closed-cell' foam.  'Open-cell' still allows a bit of air to pass but not enough to worry about when compressed in the door (unless you're the worrying type).  And never put your guns away dry!  I'm sure you already knew that, though.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool, thanks man. I'll have to try an find some on my day off.[^]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top