Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 3:45:20 PM EDT
A friend of mine bought a case of steel case .223 from Wolf.  He asked me if it was any good and the only down fall I could think of was that the steele case might scratch/mar the chamber of his Colt H-bar.  Can anyone else give me some pros or cons regarding this ammo?  It's my understanding that we use brass cases in part because the brass is softer than the steele internals of a rifle and therefore won't do wear damage.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Pros:  It's cheap and functions flawlessly in my Colt.

Cons:  It's cheap and functions flawlessly in my Colt... so I spend more money on ammo ;-)

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were me I would stick to brass. That's all I shoot. Other will tell you different saying the money they save could go toward buying a new AR. There was another thread on the ammunition board talking pros and cons of ammo that's still up. Users have told me it shoots well(good groups), & doesn't jam. But doesn't it make sense to use brass since it's softer that steel? Just a thought...[:\]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought five hundred rounds of the Wolf. If you rapid fire a lot like I do, the chamber will heat up and the steel casing will expand and the case will not eject. I was averaging a failure rate of 1 in every 10 rounds. I promptly got a refund and bought some South African rounds with the brass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It's good stuff.

Pros: It's inexpensive and readily available

Cons: Your buddies that buy $40 a 20 round box will rag you because you didn't pay an arm and a leg for it.  These jealous suckers will also tell you that Wolf ammo will jam your AR-15 up when you shoot it on full auto and don't clean your gun for 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top