Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 1:28:43 PM EDT
 ****************R-A-N-T********************

I go into the bank today to make a deposit, and I see this guy standing at the little "island" thingie where people fill out their deposit slips and the like, with a Ruger autoloader completley showing through his shirt as he filled out his deposit slip.
He was a pretty clean looking sort, and he was filling out a deposit slip (Not to mention the gun was in a holster, not just stuck in his pants) so I figured him to be a CCW holder that was just slipping a bit, rather than a bank robber [;)]...
So, he goes to the teller, I go to another teller, and we finish at the same time

I trot over and say "Hey man, your [i]showing[/i]" and pointed on my back, the same place where he was keeping his gun...
He just looked at me, and kept walking.
So I say "Well, whatever dude. It's your ass if you get caught" and kept walking down the hall.
(Florida prohibits open carry, and if a CCW holder gets caught doing what he was doing, he will lose his permit)

So we get out to the parking lot, I go to my car, he goes to his car, and [i]t_h_e_n[/i] he gets brave, once there are a few feet and vehicles between us...
He starts hollering that "his brother is a cop", and there is nothing wrong with what he was doing, and that I should "shut up" (He said it real bitchy, in a high voice. Like a 5 year old girl throwing a tantrum).
I told him to kiss my ass, and if he wanted to put his gun away, i'd be glad to give him a fat lip for disrespecting me in public like that. He says "I got a better idea" and points to his gun, then immediatley gets into his car, and peels out. I guess the point of him refrencing his gun was to tell me he could have shot me??
As usual, I was armed too. But it never entered the situation from my side...
Some people get thier carry permits for the EXACT reasons they shouldn't.
What reasons are those?
Because they are pussies. They think the gun gives them leverage in a volatile situation, where they would be otherwise forced to punk out without their guns for fear of getting their asses kicked. All it will cause them is strife, because the 100 situations it gets them out of, there will always be a situation like today. Where the person they are geting the brave "I'M ARMED SO I AM SUPERMAN" attitude with is armed too, and they wind up getting blasted over something so stupid. I was a bit worried that he was going to pull out his gun, since

A) He seemed like the type
and
B) He didn't know I had one too, and that I shoot on a practical course 2 days a week, so am probably a hell of a lot better with mine than he was with his.

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! I HATE idiots like that. Today could have been a baaaaaaaaad day for both of us if he taken the next step, and drawn thinking he was "just showing off"..

I'm done ranting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
And this is the thing the anti's (especially the "reasonable" ones) protest.  There are idiots in every group, even ours.  Otherwise there wouldn't be garbage at impromptu shooting ranges and traffic signs shot to sh*t.  

It's a fact that we cannot gloss over - some in our ranks are our worst enemies.  What can we do about it?  Well, what you TRIED to do was good.  Basically we've got to try to be BETTER than Joe Average and set a good example.

Other than that, I've got no suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have drawn your gun when he pointed to his, sounds like a threat on your life to me.  [pistol]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
What a jerk!
You were just trying to help out a fellow gun owner when he gets pissy.  Good thing he was just a wannabe, and not trying to prove he could use it.  Ship him over here and watch him get smacked around by some angry woman.

JBR, thats a good way to get into a gun fight.  He played it cool enough.

How come everbody with a gun thinks he is Rambo and everybody should bow down and kiss his wannabe-warrior feet?

Ice- another gunowning, hetrosexual, Christian, conservative male.

Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Had to put this in:
"Some people are alive simply because nobody has bother to waste the gunpowder to make them not."

Ice
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
As soon as he mentined that his brotheris a police officer you should have apologized profusely. You are lucky that you didn't get arrested for psychological assault upon a relation of a police officer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW - and all this happened in Florida?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
the name Landon + Florida locale = McUzi???

hey, are you back from the great beyond??
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 ****************R-A-N-T********************

(Florida prohibits open carry, and if a CCW holder gets caught doing what he was doing, he will lose his permit)

/quote]

FL law prohibits CCW in a bank too, permit or not.  Of course, if it is properly concealed...
The above is why I endevour to advoid [b]Griswalds.[/b]  Sounds like you've got your Griswald quota.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You should have drawn your gun when he pointed to his, sounds like a threat on your life to me.  [pistol]
View Quote

THERE'S an idea. [rolleyes]

CB
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
That cocksucker is the type that gives all of us [i]good[/i] gunowners a bad name.

I would love to kick the s**t out of that bastard...

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FL law prohibits CCW in a bank too, permit or not.
View Quote

No, it does not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
McUzi, I would guess that this guy didn't even have a permit...the "My brother is a cop" outburst would indicate to me he thinks this fact will keep him from getting into trouble no matter what he does.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The fact that he was carrying a Ruger autoloader says it all for me.
[:X*]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

And just what does it say?????
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#15]
You should have returned to the bank and contacted the cops.
They would have been able to get the CRIMINL’S identification from the teller
we can all breath a little easer when idiot’s like this are in jail!!!

I guess you can go back in the morning with your receipt to pinpoint the time of his transaction.
He gives all of us a bad name so Screw him good.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THE GUY WAS TOTALLY 100%
PRISSY AZZED FAGGOT WITH A TUDE, AND GETS HIS
BUT KICKED FOR IT QUITE FREQUENTLY, SO HE DECIDED TO PACK SOME HEAT..WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE AFTER HE DISSED YOU IS GO FIND THE SEC GUARD AND TELL HIM THE DUDES GOT A GUN...IT WOULD CERTIANLY HAVE RUINED HIS PRISSY ATTITUIDE REALLY QUICK TO HAVE A 357 JACKED INTO HIS EAR AND MADE TO EAT THE FLOOR, PENDING
ARRIVAL OF HIS BROTHER...NOT TO MENTION THE
SMILE ON YOUR FACE AS YOU WERE QUICKLY LEAVING!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
That boy needs a good ol'fashioned country ass whoopin.

OlDad
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had nothing but good experiences with Ruger autoloaders.  Maybe I'm lucky....
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Call 911 and give license plate and description of the person and the gun.  Brandishing and assault with a deadly weapon usually screws people up for life.  

Outsmart the dummies.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had nothing but good experiences with Ruger autoloaders.  Maybe I'm lucky....
View Quote

stubbs, you are not the only one.  I don't hesitate to carry one of my Rugers, either that or one of my Sigs.  I'll carry a Ruger P-series as readily as any other brand and more than some.  Maybe they are not expensive enough.  You know, snob appeal.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That boy needs a good ol'fashioned country ass whoopin.
View Quote

That can be arranged..[:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, do we have a 2nd Amendment that means anything or not?  Open carry illegal?  Huh?  What?  Concealed carry is just a nod to those who become faint at the sight of a handgun.  If the Bill of Rights meant anything today (which it does not) no one would be hassled for carrying a hangun in a holster on their hip or a rifle slung over their shoulder.  It used to be that way.  

I would advise you to stop worrying about how other people choose to carry their guns or not carry their guns and stop thinking that you are the high overlord of what is right and wrong in this world.  You could have avoided the entire incident by noticing he was carrying badly and then not saying a word.  Had he been a bank robber, you would have had the drop on him.  The fact that he was not is all the more reason to let a peaceable person (however big of an asshole he turned out to be) get on with his life without undue harassment.  He did nothing to you, and your attempt to offer him sage advice was not taken as such.  It takes two people making bad decisions to cause a fight.  

Christ, we gun owners are our own worst enemies.  It must be a natural human trait to try and boss everyone else around.  Mind your own business and you'll live longer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Jesus Trickshot- ~~>[url]www.hookedonphonics.com[/url]

[size=4]I WASN'T BOSSING HIM AROUND![/size=4]
I was leting him know that he was showing his gun. Since it is against the law, I thought i'd give him a heads up, in case he didn't know.
I didn't say
"PSSSST! Hey pal! You are breaking the law!"

I remember once when I was 17 years old, I had a joint tucked behind my ear when I walked into a gas station. I had forgotten it was even there from the nights festivities that had taken place earlier...
I walked into the gas station to get some smokes, and one of the patrons (Some biker loking dude) reminded me that I had a joint behind my ear. He wasn't voicing his support for pot laws...
He was simply giving me a reminder, so I didn't get in trouble.
We need to stop killing horses to make dogfood, and start making Alpo out of dumbasses like you.
Judging from Mr. Ed, horses are smarter than Trickshot.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll have to disagree with Trickshot- it does NOT always take two people making bad decisions to cause a fight.  I've seen plenty of instances where a single jackass who was hell-bent and determined to start a fight, and no amount of avoidance on the part of the other person was going to stop it from happening.  Landon didn't do anything many of us wouldn't have done- in fact, I've done it to people myself.  As long as you are courteous, the other person should not be offended.  Sounds like this guy needs to have his permit yanked for good (if he even had one to begin with- maybe that's why he got so upset).
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry to piss you off, but every time I ever "corrected" someone grief is all I ever got (like just now).  But I see I've hit a nerve here, so whatever.  CCW laws are  bogus and there shouldn't be any.  If we accept the state's ability to control us like that, we've already lost.  If you support background checks, safety courses and permits, and all the attendant bullshit about printing or showing, then you have your head up your ass.

Sparky, I don't know what line of work you're in (maybe a cop?) but someone can't start a fight with you if you are not there.  The guy in Landon's situation was not hell bent on starting a fight, he was minding his own business.  Even assholes (like me, apparently) have the right to be let alone.  That was my only point.

And what the fuck is with the hooked on phonics thing, anyways?  You want to make Alpo out of a guy like me who believes the Constitution means what it says while supporting those who go along with whatever stupid law is passed banning or regulating guns, pot, what have you (aka a statist)?  Get real!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Trickshot,
Most of us agree with you on the constitution, but reality is that we have to follow the laws as they are written today, not in some future scenario. Preach the sermon in a hypothetical post, but this one was in the real & the now. The dude was breaking the law of Florida & was simply reminded to cover. "Printing" while stupid is not illegal, showing is.
Oh & by the way I still think Ruger autoloaders are the ugliest & bulkiest no class handguns there are (Mark I & II excluded). They are the Mossberg of handguns. YMMV.  [BD]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
The attitude and careless 'brandishing' will eventually catch up with him. Personally, I think cops are more than willing to make someone with this attitude towards CCW know what the actual law is as far as carrying is concerned.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
FL law prohibits CCW in a bank too, permit or not.
View Quote

No, it does not.
View Quote

Well RikWriter,
It appears I have egg on my face here.[:I]  I assumed that a bank would be the same as a Post Office, i.e. firearms prohibited by Federal law, thus also CCW prohibited by FL law.  But, from what I have found out, Federal Law only addresses possession of a firearm in a bank when one is commiting a crime, or with intent to commit a crime.  The crime does not have to be gun related.  But possession of a firearm will compound the charges.
It should be noted though that some states on the FL reciprocity list do prohibit CCW in a bank. Montana is one such state.  Also, some jewelry stores, and more than likely in the future some banks, are installing systems that will sound an alarm and lock the inner foyer doors if someone attempts to enter with enough metal to set off the detection system.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, you did the right thing...kept a cool head....we carry for the purpose of protecting ourselves (from assholes like that obviously)...........they have no way of knowing a persons true personality when permits are issued............[:)]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Also, some jewelry stores, and more than likely in the future some banks, are installing systems that will sound an alarm and lock the inner foyer doors if someone attempts to enter with enough metal to set off the detection system.
View Quote

I doubt this will work out very well...they are going to wind up having to frisk most of their customers, which will drive away customers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Trickshot,
Most of us agree with you on the constitution, but reality is that we have to follow the laws as they are written today, not in some future scenario. Preach the sermon in a hypothetical post, but this one was in the real & the now. The dude was breaking the law of Florida & was simply reminded to cover. "Printing" while stupid is not illegal, showing is.
Oh & by the way I still think Ruger autoloaders are the ugliest & bulkiest no class handguns there are (Mark I & II excluded). They are the Mossberg of handguns. YMMV.  [BD]
View Quote

I agree with you on the first paragraph, however, you are still wrong on the Rugers.  What do you carry?  Define 'no class'.  Not expensive enough?  Ugly?  No more so than a 1911 or a Glock.  They work as well as anything else.  What are you basing your dislike on?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Jeez, Larry.  It's not that big of a deal that somebody dislikes Ruger's.  It's his opinion of them, so just let it be.  I know a lot of people that don't like them, including myself.  One thing I REALLY dislike about them is Bill Ruger's sellout of us gun owners rights because his weapons couldn't hold as many rounds as Glocks.  I'm not trying to start something, I'm just saying that everybody has their reasons, and why do they have to justify them?
View Quote

Why doesn't HE let it be?  He just keeps repeating it.  Why do I have to JUSTIFY my questioning of his reasoning?  It is not like I told him he did not have the right to dislike them nor say so, I just asked him why.  Do I not have the right to do so?  I like them, that's my opinion.  Do I have the right to state that?  I know a lot of people who REALLY like them.   I think the so-called sellout is myth.  Bill Ruger has contributed more $$$$ and time to supporting the Second Amendment than most.

So people have the right to state their dislike of something if YOU agree, but if someone doesn't agree with HIM or YOU, they don't have the right to question?

Just exactly which weapon is it that the Glock will hold more than the Ruger?

So because you and a lot of people you know dislike them, I should keep quiet?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#37]
You all sound like you got corns on your feet and everybody is getting their toes stepped on. Lighten up.

Goat Boy,
The French?  They can't get their own act together, let alone cross the pond and try and invade us yet.  I see more of a Monty Python type French invasion, where they just start building here without taking over, and then when asked they tell us to "Mind your own business, huaw!"

Reminds me that I need to update my blue card to list baseball bat as a ccw.
Ice
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Another day another story about a moron.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Landon, You did the right thing in trying to help out another gunowner. Now, here's some advice.
1. After you point out a potential problem for someone, drop it. Your comment about, "...it's your ass if you get caught." is the kind of comment that escalates things.
2. If things went down just like you said, the guy was totally in the wrong out in the parking lot. You put yourself in a bad position by inviting him to fight. Especially if you are a CCW. Drop the "I'm gonna kick  your ass!" high school talk because it's nothing more than posturing, no matter if you were serious or not.

You want to be tough? Let the other guy blow steam. Take note of who he is, what his body language is saying, nod your head and be on your way. Giving in to his immature insults and gestures is giving HIM control of the situation. If he comes at you, defend yourself accordingly. If not, turn him in if you like, that  is much more effective than some of the other b.s. about kickin ass and pulling your gun, etc. , even if they all REALLY mean it.  "TOUGH" guys don't always fare as well as someone who knows how to handle a situation like that in a level-headed way.
And, you showed real restraint in not drawing down on him. Good Job!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#40]
LarryG,
I answered your question & stated that YMMV. That means your mileage may vary & you can have a differing opinion. Lighten up dude. After all, does my opinion of a handgun make a difference in your day?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top