Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 9:26:33 AM EDT
OK, it really isn't for me, although I might like it.  I am trying very hard to get my wife into shooting.   She actually enjoys the Ruger 10/22 now, but I would like it if she was capable of shooting ANY handgun.  

The problem is, she doesn't seem to be able to line up the sights and hit anything.  I mean anything inside of 3 feet at 5 yards is a victory.  

I give up on the S&W revolver, and rest my hopes on the Ruger Slabside target .22.

Has anyone ever scoped one of these?  Ideas?  I need all info, mounting, etc.  Maybe a reddot or something????

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the S&W, but the Ruger MKII target gun should have 4 screw holes in the top of the receiver for a scope mount.  I don't know what kind of rings it uses at that point, but you should be able to mount any type of scope you want, including a red dot.  

If you have an older Ruger MK2, Burris sells a mount that requires you to disassemble the rear target sight on the gun.  Then you slide a collar around the barrel, and finally screw this collar to a scope base that also screws into the rear elevation screw in the rear sight.  This mount doesn't work UNLESS you have the target sighted gun.

Red dots are nice because you don't have to worry about parallax like you do with a regular scope.  Just line up the dot and squeeze the trigger.

I also like the 2x scopes on this kind of setup.  It has almost at much field of view as a red dot, is real easy to pick up the crosshairs and has a very small parallax error to be concerned with.  The only bad thing about a 2x scope, or any other scope is that they tend to be blurry at most reasonable pistol shooting distances.

One thing you might want to look into getting one of Mr. Marvel's triggers on the gun.  They are nice because they are completely adjustable for trigger length, twist, slack and let-off.

Also, the Ruger is a GREAT squirrel gun!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a MkII Target with the 5.5" bull barrel.  I had it drilled & tapped and a Weaver base installed and mounted a Tasco ProPoint red dot sight on it.  I used it for a while shooting NRA silhouette, but it just isn't quite accurate enough at 100 yards (shoulda gone with the 8-3/8" barrel).  

This is a really nice setup, but it's weighty.  IMHO, women prefer a lighter gun.  Maybe the standard tapered barrel would be a better choice?  

One thing - make ABSOLUTELY SURE that she understands that the slide comes back!  Nothing will put her off of shooting a handgun faster than having the slide slam back into the thumb she's rested across the back of her strong hand.  Trust me, I've stopped my wife from doing this at least six times.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Jimmy, I'd say that most of us shank pistol shots, especially when we start out.  I remember the first time my buddy and I shot my Hi-power at a can on the proverbial fence post.  In retrospect, a STUPID target.  The can was very safe, so safe that we started calling each other "Kojak."

I took one of my dour Austrian friends out to the range and he did fine with the rifles, but had no "gefuhl" for the pistols at all.  He was missing sillohuetes (sp) entirely at 15 feet.  

Your wife will get better if she is interested.  She just needs to get a  feel for it, and I think the revolver is just the ticket.  Set up a super big super close target so that she can walk her shots to the intended POI.  Make sure she has a rest.  Maybe try the old hammer fall on empty cartridge trick to see if she is flinching.  But she has to be interested :)

Failing that, the red dot WILL do the trick.  I had the local gunsmith drill and tap four holes for a two piece weaver mount on my Ruger Mk II target.  Works great with a red dot.  Superpose dot on target, hit target.  A couple of German sweeties that I took shooting did great with the red dot, to the point where they were somewhat blase about it.  They had no prior firearms experience or interest.  The muzzle braked .338 was a different story however!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Vince,

It is a newer Target model with the slabside barrel.  There are three screws I can see on top, perhaps the forth under the rear sight.  I'm still not sure what they are for.  I'll check into the Marvel trigger.  As  to squirrels - shhhhhh.  Don't let my wife hear stuff like that.

KBaker,

Thanks.  Propoint.  I'll check them out.  The reason I want her to shoot this one is a) it is very quiet (noise scares her) and will be quiter once the damn BATF lets me get the suppressor for it. b)  She doesn't seem to understand how to manipulate the  revolver to empty and  load it.  Try as I might she won't put in the time to get it.  One thing bugs me is sloppy gun handling (not shooting, managing the gun when NOT shooting).

I agree the Ruger is a bit  heavy for her.  But I think if she starts hitting things with it she won't notice.  We both lift weights 3 days a week and truthfully she should be able to handle it.  Oh, and I do watch hand  placement.  Nothing like a thumb bite to make shooting a drag.

Ustulina,

All good ideas.  Tried some of them already.  She just doesn't seem to be able to line up 3  things at a time. (rear site, front site, target).  A simple dot is probably best.

Thanks guys.  I'm off checking dot sites and mounts now.

James
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmm..

That's funny, I thought the slabsides generally came from the factory ready for scopes.  

The one I was looking at a couple years back (OK, it was 1995) actually had a 4-5" extension of the rear site running forward to the foward edge of the bolt housing that allowed attachment of the ruger rifle rings.  IIRC, ruger rings were included.  I also recall kicking myself, because I had paid the same for my KMK 678, and it didn't come set up for scope or with the nifty cocobola target grips.  Tant pis.  

I am thinking to take the lt. wt. 22/45 and stick an Optima or Doctor reflex on top for a kit gun.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmm..

That's funny, I thought the slabsides generally came from the factory ready for scopes.  

The one I was looking at a couple years back (OK, it was 1995) actually had a 4-5" extension of the rear site running forward to the foward edge of the bolt housing that allowed attachment of the ruger rifle rings.  IIRC, ruger rings were included.  I also recall kicking myself, because I had paid the same for my KMK 678, and it didn't come set up for scope or with the nifty cocobola target grips.  Tant pis.  

I am thinking to take the lt. wt. 22/45 and stick an Optima or Doctor reflex on top for a kit gun.  
View Quote

I bought my slabside last year and it came tapped and had a set of ruger rings. Im still debating on what site to put on it. I want a red-dot, but what kind of holster will hold this configuration.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys,

It might BE tapped and ready.  I "assumed" it would not be as none of my other pistols have an accomodation for a scope.  And yes, I know what parsing assume results in .

I am looking at it now and as mentioned above it has 3 visible screws in top.  I can't think of what else they are for so I bet you're correct.  BTW, now I have to dig out the box and see it it came with rings too.

I just saw the Optima and am considereing that myself.  I'm not trying to make this a tack driver.  My wife isn't going to develop the skill, and candidly, for pistols, I only shoot to maintain proficiency should I ever use one in self defense.  Meaning no scope and a 1911 or Glock.  The Optima looks perfect.  Red dot so only two things to align, and lightwweight.  Gotta see one in person first though.

James
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top