Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2001 6:04:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:08:52 PM EDT
Well we will just have to develop a ELF sys. to knock out there armor.[(:)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:09:04 PM EDT
They said that modern tanks have armor 2ft thick?! HA HA HA HA! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this "improvement" to hit the field. LOL, armor 2ft thick....
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:10:29 PM EDT
Well after seeing the javlin missle vs the big ass tank video, I absolutely would not want to be in a tank at all!!! [beer]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:10:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:20:02 PM EDT
Cool report! Onward and upward. Those pesky Brits certainly are clever. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:01:46 PM EDT
Law enforcement needs all of the crime fighting tools they can get.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 10:44:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:51:49 PM EDT
What kind of high tech horseshit is this? They're having a "powerful electromagnetic field" just merrilly burst into life on the surface of the armor? Sounds like a hell of a way to test the Faraday cages on your high tech communication, gunlaying, and vehicle control electronics..If the round dosent kill the tank, the EMP from their "Trekkie armor" will.. They're also just describing this for defeating HEAT rounds.. Hell, Explosive/Reactive applique does it without having "Large Capicators" consuming crew, equipment, or fuel space.. I wonder what these MOD scientists response would be if one brought up the fact of KE projectiles? Meplat
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 11:52:32 PM EDT
That looks like a russian T series tank in the photo (T72?). I wonder how the Abrams withit's reactive armor would hold up?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:16:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MelonPopper-M1A: They said that modern tanks have armor 2ft thick?! HA HA HA HA! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this "improvement" to hit the field. LOL, armor 2ft thick....
View Quote
Hull armor, at least, is angled so in order for a round to penetrate the hull it basically has to travel "from corner to corner" - lay a 6" thick piece of anything on a sharp angle and see what I mean. Turret armor is angled as well, but not to the degree that hull armor is. Also, they usually say something like "equivalent to 2 feet of cold-rolled homogeneous steel," meaning that the hardness and density of the armor makes a lesser thickness (say, 6") as hard to penetrate as a solid 2-foot block of steel. Lastly, the media have never really been known for their ability to accurately report the technical aspects of weaponry - they still think an HEAT round "burns" through the armor LOL
Top Top