Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/19/2001 5:09:25 PM EDT
While I am aware this is a non AR thread, there are alot of knowledgeable folks out there about firearms in general so I thought this would be the best place to start with a few questions regarding a pistol I saw. I am thinking of purchasing a Webley Mark 6 revolver. It has about 65%+ finish (looks like original finish) and is chambered in .455 (not rechambered to .45ACP!) Mechanically it is perfect, and unfortunately I didn't look down the bore, but the muzzle crown looked good. I will check it when I get another look. It is dated 1915 and has the squared pommel/grip. The reason I am thinking of purchasing it is that it has an NZ stamped on it. The dealer selling it says this indicates it was a New Zealand issue. Before I purchase it, I would like to know if this is true. I probaly won't get it if it wasn't an ANZAC weapon at some point. Also, they're asking $525.00. Is this outraegeous or in the ballpark? I know Enfield pistols go for substantially less from what I have seen. I'll hopefully have more info on proof stamps and the bore tomorrow. Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:17:45 PM EDT
My 2000 Standard Catalog of Firearms says a Webley Mark VI in Excellent condition is worth $350; Good condition, $250; Poor $125. Dunno about the markings.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:49:33 PM EDT
If the stamping is fairly large,(Compared to the other stampings) and thin (Skinny lines) then it is an Enzed MkVI. I've seen a couple MkVI's with Enzed markings, the latest a 1919 dated.. They're fun. Double action pull will probably need a lot of work. Single will be not unplesant. Have fun.. Meplat
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:52:10 PM EDT
I can't really help much on the NZ marking. I can tell you that it is estimated that somewhere around 85% of all Webleys, regardless of mark, had their cylinders shaved to accept .45 ACP. Original .455s are in demand right now. The pricing on these will vary, but a fair .455 will be more expensive than a perfect .45. In my area (VA), that's too high based on the condition you describe. Find a Lee Enfield board like this, and you'll truely find the Webley experts to help with the NZ mark. If gunboards.com wasn't down right now, they would have been a good choice for this question. I got mine about 4 years ago for $450 (The value has increased for collector grade ones like this in the past few years). It's got a perfect bore, is still in .455, all matching and dated 1916. [IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=48431029&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 2:34:09 PM EDT
Well?
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 7:32:19 PM EDT
It is a no-go. The bore isn't terrific. It states .455 on the side, but it looks to me now that it has been rechambered for .45ACP. I give it a no-go based on overall condition and most importantly price. If it was about $125.00 cheaper I'd think about it. I will probably invest in a Lithgow Enfield instead at half the price. Thanks for everyone's help!
Top Top