Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2001 8:31:34 PM EDT
I am going to Ruidoso tomorrow and will be camping in the Lincoln National Forest. Can I legally pack my .45 concealed while hiking? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:38:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2001 8:34:29 PM EDT by Landon]
Sorry. Don't mean to get your hopes up by posting, but... I personally wouldn't trust legal advice coming from the peanut gallery on an issue of such conciquence .... My .02... There are websites out there that may be a bit more reliable as far as info goes... Go to google and type in Texas Gun Laws or something similar, You usually can find answers to anything you are looking for.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:43:18 PM EDT
Now there's some good advice!
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 8:57:59 PM EDT
THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE!!!!!! just did some hiking/backpacking in a national forest in arizona this past week. we figured out that it was legal to carry in national FORESTS, but not legal to carry in national PARKS. i don't know the difference or the reason(s) for it. kinda silly. FWIW, even the dodos in on the other end of the telephone didn't know if it was legal to carry in their own national forest. don't know whether they really didn't know or were just saying that so they wouldn't have to admit that we could and have "evil" guns in the forest. given that black bears and mountain lions aren't out of the question, we took that as a "yes, you can" answer. if you have a contact number for the national forest you'll be visiting, i strongly suggest giving them a call. if (when) they ask when you'll be visiting....LIE. tell them "next month" or something. of course, there's always the question of your legal concealed carry status in said state. i'm assuming that's not really the issue.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:20:36 AM EDT
I would plead the 2nd. Fucking communists
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:23:10 AM EDT
Civilians should leave gun handling to the trained professionals. A cell phone with 911 on autodial is all you need.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 2:30:38 AM EDT
I'm not going to be of much help, but here goes: You can only carry firearms in the National Forest during hunting season and carrying a valid hunting license. Of course, the literature doesn't say [i]what[/i] hunting season is counted. Because of this I carry my .45 openly (much more effective that way anyway) and carry my hunting license with me as well. I was only stopped once by a Forest Ranger. He said, "You must be hunting groundhogs right?" "Huh?" "You can only possess a firearm during hunting season and with a hunting license, so you must be after groundhogs (wink, wink)." In VA groundhogs are year-round because they are pests, but you have to have a hunting license to kill them. Hence, you can carry a weapon and just lie your ass off. The Ranger told me to tell anybody else I might meet that I was hunting groundhogs (although there aren't many in the forested mountains) to avoid any kind of legal problem. That's VA. I don't know if TX has year-round seasons on anything.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 3:01:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 5:04:35 AM EDT
Ruidoso is in New Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 6:18:55 AM EDT
Yes, AROCK, I was wondering when someone might point this out. Only a small sliver of the Forest is located in Texas (maybe 5%). It must be because Ruidosa and the areas around it were basically founded by Texas after the War Between The States. A lot of Texans (me included) consider it part of 'Greater Texas'! BTW, it's the home of 'Smokey The Bear' or, as the pointy headed Gov't types are now calling him, 'Smokey Bear.' When he lost the 'The' I have no idea, but the Gov't never uses it. I tried to find the info on carrying in Nat'l Forests, but gave up after numerous gov't sites didn't even address the issue. Guess you just have to keep calling until you get a definitive answer. I simply don't go into wilderness areas where they don't permit CCW! Haven't you been amazed by the number of two-legged varmints that seem to show up in national parks and forests? Eric The(AndMyFamilyAin'tBearBaitEither1)Hun[>]:)]
Top Top