Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Reminds me of how we got one of our dogs, Lucky.

My dad opened the door to go to work, turned around to look at us, and said, "there's a bear on the porch!"

A massive malamute was sleeping against the screen door so it wouldn't open. Finally got it to wake up and move so he could step outside. Sweet dog, she was the most harmless dog we ever owned but the one all the meter readers/mailmen/etc. were intimidated by. Beautiful dog, but she didn't live up to the name Lucky. Between the hot Texas climate and her habit of sleeping directly on top of fire ant nests, she sometimes got herself in pretty bad shape. We kept her indoors as much as we could (much cooler and no ants), but a dog that big as a regular indoor animal just didn't work. One morning we found her too late; the fire ants had gotten her.

I don't know WHY that dog insisted on sleeping on top of ant mounds. You'd think she'd have caught on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#2]
We had a rottie show up on our back porch a few years ago in the winter, soaking wet and with ice hanging from her mouth.

We took her in, fed her, and cleaned her up... put out the calls to the local shelters to see if anyone was looking for her.  No tags/collar.

We were then the amazed recipient of 7 rottie puppies a couple of weeks later.  Perfect momma dog, very gentle with our kids, and very protective of the house.

We already had 2 dogs, though, so we ended up selling all the pups and the momma off and made a small profit.

I'd get another in a heartbeat, they're an awesome breed.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Good dog, woof!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I miss my rottie

But my two blonds are sweethearts (pair of rescued labs)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice work, TheCleaner!!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Rotts are great.

I miss my Lucy every day. Losing her hurt more than any human I've lost.

Now I have a Dachshund. He's great too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Best breed of dog period, it's not up for discussion.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Good work.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for taking in and taking care of Max.
He will make a great friend and family member.
I have one I call Max- he is a rottweiler (sp?) and pitt bug mix.
I found him and his sister last year walking down the road in the middle of nowhere in the National forest near here.
Max and Lillie are the sweet, gentile and friendly.
They are great additions to the other four stray dogs I have and the numerous stray cats I have- they all get along very well and end up sleeping beside or on top of each other.
This does not include all of the stray dogs and cats I have gotten neutered and shots and found other homes for.
My vet loves me- I paid most of the expenses to put his two kids through college.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I want to say "thank you", for helping the rott. I own a rott and know all to well how th public views this breed. Little do they know if breed and raised right there are the biggest wimps ever. You can tell he's a lover by the look in his eyes..
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#11]
well done.

TXL

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
About 3 weeks ago I was working mids, it was freezing and just storming like crazy. At 0430 hrs I was parked in a closed gas station to stay out of the rain (under the awning). While I was running radar there I caught some movement out in the intersection to my front. It was hard to see because of the storm, it was really comin down.

Sure enough, it was a big ass dog in the middle of an unlight intersection with cars coming!!

I immediately put my spot on him so the cars could see him and jumped out of the car. I called it over (hoping this big dog wouldn't chomp my nuts off). He came right over. Poor thing was soaked, shaking & was more than happy to jump in the back seat of the car.  

He was out like a light in 5 minutes. He had to have been out all night.

I called dispatch, nobody had reported a missing rot, the dog had no tags. But I tell ya, this guy was an absolute sweetheart, just as friendly as could be. I live near my patrol area, so my new partner & I picked up a doggy bed and a towel. I then took him back to our DPW building, dried him off & fed him.

He ended up being my partner for the rest of the shift. My sarge wasn't real pleased with the wet-dog smell in the car but WTF.

AFTER A WEEK, NOBODY CLAIMED THIS DOG!

I made sure the pound was not going to put him down. I picked him up a week later, got him all of his shots, & got him a doggy bath. I really just enjoyed having him around, unfortunately I already have a lab. Another big dog just wouldn't fly.  My buddy, a LEO in the neighboring city was more than happy to give him a new home.

Meet MAX!  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/shield13/rotty1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/shield13/rotty3.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/shield13/rotty2.jpg

You need to work on your aim, that dog appears to be alive.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice work.  Thanks for looking out for that little guy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks for taking the time to help him out .

You can tell a lot about a person by the way they treat animals.  

bravo zulo!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Beautiful Rottie... i'm a fan of Doberman's tho.  Good find.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe it's man duty to protect and take care of dogs....

I salute your good work!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad you got to keep him

I found a big PitBull one night while on duty, he was as friendly and laid back as he could be.  I even let him ride along with me that night (hoot shift).  I took him to the kennel for 3 days, noone claimed him so I bailed him out.

He was house broken, minded, did not chase the cows, and loved my 6 year old daughter.  At the time there was a big investigation in the newspaper about someone stealing 12 pitbulls from a breeder in a neighboring town so as a police officer (doing the right thing) I called the woman and spoke with her about the dog I found.  She said it was not her's so he was with us another week my daughter got to love him so much.

One day I was sleeping and my phone rang, someone asking about the dog.  Described him to a T.  I said yeah, I have him.  They told me they'd give me $100 for takin care of him, I said no, just come and get him he's a good dog.

The woman I spoke with about the stolen dogs saw a lost and found article in the paper and called these people.

They came to get him while my daughter was in school. So I see this car pull into my driveway and set there and set there for about 2 solid minutes.  Then these two white-trash, toothless wonder, skin-n-bones, crank whore, tweeker chicks get out and start talking to the dog.  And say "Are you a cop?" (cop car in driveway)  Man I was pissed off. I asked them who the dog belonged to and they skated the name.  I finally got an answer.......One of the Biggest Meth Cooks in our county!!

Then they asked me "Are you sure you don't want the $100?"  

So I say "Yeah, May need it......"  Screw them, I took their dope money.

My daughter cried for 2 days.  One of those deals when doing the right thing did not pay off.

Glad you get to keep yours.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I love happy endings. Nice job.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#19]
That dog doesn't realize how close he came
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Very Cool!

What a beautiful dog and a lucky find for both of you!  Nice work, officer!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#21]
 Good job, cleaner!  I'm glad you found a home for Max.

Here are my two:

Bear & Ally

Both are rescues from Wisconsin Rottweiler Rescue.  I run their website, volunteer, and frequently do transports from as far away as your AO (Ally is from Fort Wayne, IN).  They're the best thing that's ever happened to me (besides the wife).

ETA:

Any of you Rottie owners post over at rottweiler.net?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#22]
nuke it from outerspace
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Very, very, very cool, thecleaner.

Eric The(Impressed)Hun
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Great Job Cleaner!

We decided to keep the female rott stray we found on our doorstep a couple years back.

Then, malnourished, fleas, ticks:

Now, has a throne :

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#25]
That's a nice looking pooch!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#26]
TAG!
I'll add pics of Mr. Gipper when I get home tonight.
I think he is your dog's twin brother.
And the way yours is sitting in that third pic, with its leg rolled under.... mine does that too.
Mine actually looks the spitting image of Jasmine, near the bottom of the first page.

Here he is as a puppy.  I had this pic on the net....

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Makes me miss my Rottie, Zeus!

+1

Makes me miss my boy Buddha, like crazy.

I miss him every single day, for over a year now.

Nice job Cleaner.....that was a good thing you did, I wish more people would bother to take the time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Here he is as a puppy.

You guys are going to make me pull out the "My Rottie is cuter than yours" pics, aren't you?

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here he is as a puppy.

You guys are going to make me pull out the "My Rottie is cuter than yours" pics, aren't you?

Here's Tank as a pup:

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
nice!  Good thing you did there bud.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:09:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I love dogs..

Good job..  There is a theory in the science community that dogs and humans have been together so long that we are naturally drawn to each other...  I forget exactly but something along those lines..

That explains some marriages I've seen....

On a more serious note, well done!!!
Nice lookin' pooch!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Well down.  I rescued my partner here from the Huron National forest on a hunting trip.  8 years later he's the best dog I've ever been owned by.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks guys. I tell ya, he was just a happy camper when I picked him up. I even think he remembered me. I'm all excited that my buddy took him because that means I get to see him & give him treats.

My friend says that "MAX" refuses to go outside if its raining. LOL!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I tell ya, he was just a happy camper when I picked him up. I even think he remembered me. I'm all excited that my buddy took him because that means I get to see him & give him treats.

My friend says that "MAX" refuses to go outside if its raining. LOL!

Helps confirm my theory that many dogs are smarter than their owners.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top