Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/12/2006 3:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 3:04:23 PM EDT by darealickt]
Just got back from an interesting class. I was intending to take a mid-term examination that I have been preparing intensely for for the past week. I'm sitting there 5 minutes before test-time, going over my notes, regreting the only two hours of sleep I got last night, and three strangers in their fifties enter the classroom. Behind them is the prof with a huge grin on his face. He announces that he is making our exam a take-home rather than in-class. He does this THE MINUTE THE TEST IS TO BEGIN.

Now I'm pissed and happy at the same time. Happy because this is a MonWedFri class and this Friday we don't have class due to Good Friday. This means the take-home exam is due next Monday, five days from now! Not a guaranteed A, but much easier to complete than when the test is given in the short 50 minute long normal class period. I'm pissed though because I've been memorizing countless things that I can now look in the book for.

Next he introduces the three people - one female and two male. They talk at length about the Science and Technology Dirctorate. I found it extremely funny to listen to them talk about the work they do without "talking about the work they do". Many times they would stop while describing something and look over at their colleague to see if they were treading on thin ice. It seems to be very difficult to remember EXACTLY what can be said and what can't about what they have done in their 15-25 year careers. They pitched summer intern programs in Langley, co-operative learning opportunities, and full-time positions within the Sci/Tech dept. It was informative without being specific.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:06:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By darealickt:
Just got back from an interesting class. I was intending to take a mid-term examination that I have been preparing intensely for for the past week. I'm sitting there 5 minutes before test-time, going over my notes, regreting the only two hours of sleep I got last night, and three strangers in their fifties enter the classroom. Behind them is the prof with a huge grin on his face. He announces that he is making our exam a take-home rather than in-class. He does this THE MINUTE THE TEST IS TO BEGIN.

Now I'm pissed and happy at the same time. Happy because this is a MonWedFri class and this Friday we don't have class due to Good Friday. This means the take-home exam is due next Monday, five days from now! Not a guaranteed A, but much easier to complete than when the test is given in the short 50 minute long normal class period. I'm pissed though because I've been memorizing countless things that I can now look in the book for.

Next he introduces the three people - one female and two male. They talk at length about the Science and Technology Dirctorate. I found it extremely funny to listen to them talk about the work they do without "talking about the work they do". Many times they would stop while describing something and look over at their colleague to see if they were treading on thin ice. It seems to be very difficult to remember EXACTLY what can be said and what can't about what they have done in their 15-25 year careers. They pitched summer intern programs in Langley, co-operative learning opportunities, and full-time positions within the Sci/Tech dept. It was informative without being specific.

It is a once in a life-time opportunity, and you would be a shoe in for a job in the private sector after you got out, at a place like Raytheon. Go for it!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:08:23 PM EDT
You've had an opportunity open up... now don't do anything stupid.

Like get drunk at a party and take even one puff of weed. If you join, they will give you a lie detector test. If you want to do something like this, everything you do has to pass the sniff test.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:11:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/12/2006 3:13:49 PM EDT by darealickt]

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

It is a once in a life-time opportunity, and you would be a shoe in for a job in the private sector after you got out, at a place like Raytheon. Go for it!

I can't say for certain, but it will be at the top of my wish list if I get accepted.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:13:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

Like get drunk at a party and take even one puff of weed. If you join, they will give you a lie detector test. If you want to do something like this, everything you do has to pass the sniff test.

I'm not of typical college age. At 30, that isn't even a consideration.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:16:14 PM EDT
That'd be pretty neat. Now if only the CIA would interrupt my biochemistry 2 exam
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:17:13 PM EDT
If they answered any questions, did they kill you afterwards?

WTH - go 4 it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:17:17 PM EDT

I'm not of typical college age. At 30, that isn't even a consideration.

Sadly, it's kindof tough to do the internships at 30. I'm just a few years shy of the same situation and in my sophmore year.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:21:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tango7:
If they answered any questions, did they kill you afterwards?

WTH - go 4 it.

I don't think any one of them could kill a fly. Each was 50-70 pounds overweight and looked like he/she had been doing EE/CS work in an office somewhere dark. They were nerds, and looked pretty much like your average middle-aged American.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:21:24 PM EDT

What class?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:24:03 PM EDT

I was in the OPs position in college. I had an application in for the summer internship program but I was unable to attend for various reasons. During the interview process, I asked about drugs. The agent told me quite matter of factly that the Agency understood that we were "in college" and that certain activities take place while "in college."

It must not have mattered much because several of my classmates that I had smoked with on several occations ended up becoming interns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:26:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:
What class?

EE, Digital Design.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:30:28 PM EDT
Man, you passed up an opportunity to operate the Haley-Burton weather machine. Tsk, tsk.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:14:13 AM EDT
You'd get to work on sophisticated listening and communication devices.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:22:37 AM EDT
Taking a couple of hits didn't matter for me during my application process. I just told them about it up front before the polygraph ... kind of like airing my dirty laundry to the interviewer, but it made the test easier on me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:28:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 4nscdoc:
Taking a couple of hits didn't matter for me during my application process. I just told them about it up front before the polygraph ... kind of like airing my dirty laundry to the interviewer, but it made the test easier on me.

It sort of goes to time a place... If you smoked some dope 6mo ago, you'd be fucked. If you did some blow and weed 12 years ago cuz you were stupid, they may let it go if they like you. I had a buddy get into one of those hot shit gov't agencies last year (he's 32) and he was a fucking maniac when he was in his early 20's. Sort of depends what you have done since then.
Top Top