Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 9:25:15 AM EDT
Exactly what's the point of a cover letter and what should one say? Anyone have a sample cover letter?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]
a cover letter is your chance to explain that you are human with a personality and just how interested in the job, as well as specifying what position you are applying for.

The resume is just facts and data about your qualifications and education, its supposed to be just data.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
17 Feb 06

Steve O. Gaspan
PO Box 6555
any town, USA 01111
(350) 244-4444
[email protected]

Combat Makers, Inc
6220 - 108th Ave NE, Suite 1040
Bellevue WA  11144

Dear Combat Makers, Inc Hiring Manager:

I saw, your ad in the Shotgun News for the position of Senior Killbot. I have enclosed my resume for your review......(in your own words)

My credentials should be more than adequate to qualify for this position.  I have several years of experience and killing things.  
I also have experience and training as an instructor of killing things.  I work well with people ......(in your own words)

You need:                        I have:
• Project Manager        • 5 years experience in killing things.
• Quality Control        • _______________

If you are seeking a candidate with my qualifications, I would welcome a personal interview....(in your own words)

Sincerely,
Steve O Gaspain

Enclosure
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL, thank you.

I have my cover letter completed, now I have to write up a resume.

It's been so long since I did this....
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
17 Feb 06

Steve O. Gaspan
PO Box 6555
any town, USA 01111
(350) 244-4444
[email protected]

Combat Makers, Inc
6220 - 108th Ave NE, Suite 1040
Bellevue WA  11144

Dear Combat Makers, Inc Hiring Manager:

I saw, your ad in the Shotgun News for the position of Senior Killbot. I have enclosed my resume for your review......(in your own words)

My credentials should be more than adequate to qualify for this position.  I have several years of experience and killing things.  
I also have experience and training as an instructor of killing things.  I work well with people ......(in your own words)

You need:                        I have:
• Project Manager        • 5 years experience in killing things.
• Quality Control        • _______________

If you are seeking a candidate with my qualifications, I would welcome a personal interview....(in your own words)

Sincerely,
Steve O Gaspain

Enclosure

So did you get the job?!?

I always wanted to be a killbot, but I heard they mostly hire from with-in.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Since the resume may be a little generic and we may have more than one similar position, I'll give it a quick glance to see if there is anything of importance, geographic preference, out of town on a business trip, preference, but otherwise generally almost ignore them.  I also look to see if a current employee referred them.  Generally employees only refer people they think are qualified  and/or would want to work with.  

If it is going to be the full page equivalent of a generic objective, don't bother.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't even read the cover letters.

+1 The resume is where the info is at.  I throw the cover letters away.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The manager(s) who decide whether to hire you or not will likely not see your coverletter. But you still you have it. Keep it short. The resume should stand on its own.

They'll get a photocopy of a fax of a photocopy of your resume. So distinctive "resume paper" is worthless.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
These days I tend to apply for most jobs via email (a lot of that is replying to those who email me).  The closest thing I usually get to a cover letter is an email explaining why I'm qualified and attaching my resume.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top