Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 6:29:28 AM EDT
As of 11 April, 35 American troops have been killed in Iraq-- more than during all of March. (31 died in March)

The U.S. military death toll stands at 2,363 since the March 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
2,363 since the March 2003

That’s great news!
Not great that they died but great that so few died.
This is a victory of unprecedented proportions.

Not a reason to be sad.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a feeling it's only going to get worse. But we're up to it.
God bless them all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#3]
While I mourn and honor those troops' deaths, why do some people (and everyone in the media) feel the need to constantly bring the "death toll" up?

It's very ghoulish.

To be honest, the fact that so few have been lost needs to get some air time as well. Until just recently the toll stood near the casualty total for one day in WWII. During the Tet Offensive alone the US lost 1,536 men.

To reiterate, I mourn and am saddened by the losses, but to continue force feeding us "death tolls" is counterproductive. These are professionals who know the score going in - and I appreciate every one of them for doing so.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s great news!

Not a reason to be sad.  

+1
300,000 in WWII
58,000 in Vietnam
2,363 in Iraq

I'd say that is a pretty good number!!
Sad for those we have lost but glad its not more!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to hear the death toll of tangos.

Keep in mind the total casualty rate still pales in comparision to other wars.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s great news!

Not a reason to be sad.  

That is some very F'ed up logic pal . . . .  and it IS a reason not only to be sad, but to be frustrated with the way things are going over there.

Considering how advanced we are (technology, equipment, training, etc) compaired to who we are fighting, this trend of increased deaths is not a good thing.  It is especially not good that 11 days into April, we have lost more than the total lost the month prior . . .

Keep things in perspective: we are not fighting a world class military.  When I was there, on one occasion, the dude shooting at me was wearing a  jogging suit and F'ing sandles . . . .

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I think there's something sad about the fact that most of these soldiers seem to be k.i.a. in humvees. Granted it's a low toll for a war though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s great news!

Not a reason to be sad.  

That is some very F'ed up logic pal . . . .  and it IS a reason not only to be sad, but to be frustrated with the way things are going over there.

Considering how advanced we are (technology, equipment, training, etc) compaired to who we are fighting, this trend of increased deaths is not a good thing.  It is especially not good that 11 days into April, we have lost more than the total lost the month prior . . .
Keep things in perspective: we are not fighting a world class military.  When I was there, on one occasion, the dude shooting at me was wearing a  jogging suit and F'ing sandles . . . .

+1  I have a hard time finding anything joyous about the deaths of young American men.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Thats sad. Fighting a war in PC mode is a duanting task. These shit bags should have been wiped out in a week. Damn the PC Left

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1  I have a hard time finding anything joyous about the deaths of young American men.

it’s not about being joyous.
It’s about understanding that our casualties could be 25-30,000 men.
Realistically had we fought 20-30 years ago it would have been about 30,000
But it’s not.  It’s a little over 2000.  That is a good figure!  We need to appreciate it.
Soldiers are going to die!  That’s part of what they do.  They kill and they die.
It’s a sad fact of life but its part of the job.  You can loose just as many in training in a year as are being lost in Iraq.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
well, considering that in past wars we would lose 1000"s in just one battle and that 1000"s more civilians would be killed in city fighting I'd say our casualty rate is extreemly low.

that and the fact that nearly all of the SOLDIERS that are there VOULENTEERED so they know the risk and accept that risk, I'd say were doing pretty good.

besides, if we left now before IRAQ can stand on their own two feet, all of their deaths would be for NOTHING and would DISHONOUR them and their families.

it's only the COWARD terrorist SYMPATHIZERS  that want to get us out of this fight now.

I'll be going over as a contractor soon so I am not an armchair commander.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it’s not about being joyous.
It’s about understanding that our casualties could be 25-30,000 men.Realistically had we fought 20-30 years ago it would have been about 30,000
But it’s not.  It’s a little over 2000.  That is a good figure!  We need to appreciate it.
Soldiers are going to die!  That’s part of what they do.  They kill and they die.
It’s a sad fact of life but its part of the job.  You can loose lose just as many in training in a year as are being lost in Iraq.  

hk,
hypothetically our casualties COULD BE all enlisted men serving currently in a war zone.

I realize what a soldier's job is and understand, partially, your stance.

I also realize that each one of those men had a mother and father, perhaps a family at home waiting on them to come back.

When you marginalize the deaths of over 2,000 americans you run the risk of creating an atmosphere where it's "ok" to sacrifice soldiers for any reason.

This isn't anti-war rhetoric here, I just can't find solace in casualty numbers as compared to wars fought 60 years ago.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just incase you ment this blurb for me . . .  I am no armchair commander.  I was there for 12 months in one of the worst (in terms of # of attacks, US KIAs, VBIEDs, etc.) parts of Baghdad.

Once you arrive, it will not take you long to realize that you are in the real deal, and it is no F'ing joke.  Then, my friend, you will see why the increased deaths are such a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I would rather die in a battle than as an old man in my bed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#15]
rob78, I'll be interested to hear what soldiers think about the "death tolls" being bandied about so much in the press.

Personally I think we should mourn their loss appropriately but then move on. Anything else is dwelling on unproductive things.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just incase you ment this blurb for me . . .  I am no armchair commander.  I was there for 12 months in one of the worst (in terms of # of attacks, US KIAs, VBIEDs, etc.) parts of Baghdad.

Once you arrive, it will not take you long to realize that you are in the real deal, and it is no F'ing joke.  Then, my friend, you will see why the increased deaths are such a bad thing.

There for 12 months? With who?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s great news!

Not a reason to be sad.  

You want to talk trends? How about a 68% reduction in KIAs since October. You don't hear that on the news do you?

BTW, since you were in Bdad, who were you with and when?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s great news!

Not a reason to be sad.  

Agree in that the estimates before the war even broke out started at a miniumut of 10,000+.  We are fortunate that it's been so low.  Still, very sad to see that figure.  And of course the countless who've sustained serious injury.  Thoughts and prayers go out to all our troops.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Shouldn't you and your DU pals be making up some tin-foil hats so Karl Rove doesn't use his mind control device on you?

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
rob78, I'll be interested to hear what soldiers think about the "death tolls" being bandied about so much in the press.

Personally I think we should mourn their loss appropriately but then move on. Anything else is dwelling on unproductive things.

I would as well...

I think the press's use of these numbers (plastered across headlines, bold face, vivid colors,etc) is a disgrace.

At the same time, we as a nation, should remain informed as to "what's going on".

There's a perfect medium in there, but won't/can't be found as long as these numbers are "balyhooed" for political/financial gains.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I think about them and pray for them everyday.

I am an administrator at another web site, and we donate cards and a plaque each month to the families of fallen soldiers.  Each month I mail the cards, and the recipient then mails to the next address, and so on.  Finally, they are sent back to me.  I send them with the plaque to the next of kin.

BTW, each plaque is customized - Airman, Soldier, Marine, Sailor, etc, along with their name and unit, DOD, and a very nice memorial sentiment letting the greiving know that some of us out there feel their loss and recognize the sacrifice their children/spouse/parent made.  

Pretty soon, I will be making a web site dedicating solely to sending cards and plaques to the families of soldiers who have lost their lives in the name of America.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#22]
when I go , my wife will miss me, I don't have kids, and most of my family is gone. I go with the full knowledge that I could be killed or permanantly injured/disfigured. IT'S MY CHOICE and I wouldn't want anyone to mourn my death beyound raise a toast to me, say a small prayer, and know I died doing what I wanted and gladly paid a price so that others may live, both brave and coward alike.

death is not a sad thing for the one who died, but is indeed a burden for the living.....if they choose to bear it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#23]
When: 2005
Who: 3ID
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#24]

As you go about your day . . . keep them in mind.  

FaceTimeOne
Thanks for your service.
I whole hardly agree, we on the home front need keep the dead and the living serving in harms way in our minds as we go about our day. As we watch TV at night in our comfortable house with our loving family beside us I ponder the sacrifices made in my name. I look for the names and faces of my family and friends currently deployed or working oversea's.

This is a web site is a wealth of info icasualties.org/oif/default.aspx Ive been checking it for a long time. Its run by people opposed to the war but the numbers and stats they keep seem to come right from the DOD site here DOD so they appear to be keeping accurate accounting.
They have some interesting data in a GIS form that shows the country as a whole and breaks it down state by state.

Im interested why you posted this ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

what unit? I was there with 3ID in 2003, 3-15th Infantry scout platoon
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was with C Co. 3-15 Inf (Rock of the Marne, baby!) from 89 - 91!  Were you at Ledward or Conn?  

ETA:  I was 11M, not 13 series (13 is Cav, right?  Or was 13 medic?  Been a while).
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was with C Co. 3-15 Inf (Rock of the Marne, baby!) from 89 - 91!  Were you at Ledward or Conn?  

ETA:  I was 11M, not 13 series (13 is Cav, right?  Or was 13 medic?  Been a while).

99-03 at Fort Stewart
13 is arty, 19 is Armor and Cavalry(19K for tanker, 19D for Cavalry Scout, 19A for ossifers)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

99-03 at Fort Stewart
13 is arty, 19 is Armor and Cavalry(19K for tanker, 19D for Cavalry Scout, 19A for ossifers)

3 ID at Ft Stewart?  Since when did that happen?  They were in Schweinfurt, Germany when I was there 89-91, and had just unit transitioned from 4-30 Inf.  We were in Ledward barracks, but up the road a piece was support and some Cav at Conn barracks, which is why I asked if you were Ledward or Conn.  

Still, small world.  3 of us assigned to the same unit in a span of less than 10 years.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Very sad, but from a historical standpoint with regards to losses this is one of the most successful campaigns ever.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I want to hear the death toll of tangos.

Keep in mind the total casualty rate still pales in comparision to other wars.

While I am saddened that 2,363 American troops have lost their lives, I'm sure its a tiny fraction of the other side's losses.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#31]
We have made so much progress, It is with regret that even one member of our armed service gave his life.
No other Army has ever been able to do so much.
When a cause is right men will willing to give their lives to make it come true.
It is not about how many have died, is about how few.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top