Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 5:16:55 AM EDT
Teacher facing charges  Student hurt in scuffle over phone

A 62-year-old, 20-year veteran Escambia County schoolteacher and a health support technician face battery charges after a cell-phone struggle left an 11-year-old Carver Century student with a slight fracture of her wrist, officials said.

Escambia County Sheriff's Office issued arrest warrants for Carver Century teacher Lillian Robertson and health support technician Tina Digmon on Tuesday..........

........The incident occurred March 3, after school had finished for the day, said Sgt. Mike Ward, Sheriff's Office spokesman. Robertson asked the student to surrender the phone but the student refused, Ward said.

Robertson then attempted to grab the phone from the student, who struggled with her and pulled away, later being confronted by Digmon, Ward said.

The child suffered a hairline fracture of her wrist during the struggle, Ward said.........

............Part of the School District investigation will include whether the girl was allowed to be operating a cell phone, Arnold said.

"State legislation passed a law allowing phones on campus," Arnold said. "But we are trying to determine if the student was allowed at that time."

Reason #2471 not to send your kid to a public school.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Rule #2345 why to teach your children to respect there elders/authority figures.

Now if she was allowed to have and use the phone then that’s a different story. They used to confiscate pagers from us at school. If I was caught and told to hand my pager over I would have just handed it over… I was breaking the rules after all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Students' phones are not permitted on campus at our school.   Kid would have been in the wrong here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  They're actually charging the teacher with assault.  There must have been several witnesses.  I'm surprised they didn't have the kid arrested after being expelled for the rest of the year.  That seems to be the standard punishment in school these days.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Students' phones are not permitted on campus at our school.   Kid would have been in the wrong here.

Violating school rules does not give the teacher permission to assault a student.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

"State legislation passed a law allowing phones on campus," Arnold said. "But we are trying to determine if the student was allowed at that time."

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#7]
School was over, teacher was out of line.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#8]

we are trying to determine if the student was allowed

If the rules are so convoluted that the administration doesn't know whether or not it's allowed, how could the 11 year-old girl know?z
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]
First she tries to confiscate something from an 11 year old that state law says that the girl is allowed to have, then she tries to wrestle the phone away from the 11 year old girl? The teacher obviously has some kind of emotional or anger problems and doesn't belong around children.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Do parents not teach their children to have respect for authority figures any more?  Even if she was wrong, that doesn't change her position.  If she was wrong to take the phone, that could have been taken care of later, it's not like the kid was dialing 911.

Bottom line--

The kid's 11.

She's her teacher, or at least an authority figure at the school.

She should have handed her the phone as soon as she asked for it.  The kid's 11, she has NO business saying no to a teacher in a situation like this.  Period.  End of conversation.

Edited to fix some pronoun issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this Cythia McKinney's child?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was a kid if a teacher asked me to do something [ie give them my cell phone] and I refused what ever punishment I got at school would be the least of my worries as I was going to get it 10x worse at home.

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top