Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Mohawk Technologies of Florida has operated a fleet of six OV-1 Mohawk reconnaissance aircraft under a US Department of Defense (DoD) contract for about 12 months, said Paul Pefley, the company's president. Pefley declined to say where the aircraft were being operated or for which branch of the DoD. The OV-1 was retired from US Army use in 1996.

I have to wonder if this is one of the OV-1s mentioned above.  We had two of them at a local airshow here in southern Florida late last year.  Seemed to be in awfully nice (and perfectly flyable condition) for "retired" or "museum" aircraft.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d love to see that happen – but I doubt it’s practical.

I can’t imagine there are enough flyable examples available to make it worthwhile to restore it to the inventory.

And they weren’t especially successful in the Gulf War.

That said, for strictly an observation role, they could certainly do a decent job (and carry a lot of surveillance gear!).
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
BAD ASS.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have to wonder if this is one of the OV-1s mentioned above.  We had two of them at a local airshow here in southern Florida late last year.  Seemed to be in awfully nice (and perfectly flyable condition) for "retired" or "museum" aircraft.

Thank you Xero, when I'm complete with my 1/35th scale UH-1D and my OH-13H, I will build an OV-1(Not sure what version, but leaning to the old Vietnam version).  I already have a couple of A-37s and a couple of OV-10 kits, that need building.

I wish I could find that limited release Hasegawa kit that was the OV-10 with the 3-barreled fully rotatable  gun in place og the sponsons and 4 M-60Os.  they only made it for a year or two.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#5]
ov-10's ruled. they're quiet as hell. i remember running around the swamps at french creek when all of a sudden, a frigging bronco seemed to just bust out of the trees, we didn't hear that sucker until it roared right over us at treetop level...

i think the batfe got unarmed broncos but they still had the hard points (where weapons could be attached). i seem to remember the marine corps squawking about that, but i might be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Mohawk Technologies of Florida has operated a fleet of six OV-1 Mohawk reconnaissance aircraft under a US Department of Defense (DoD) contract for about 12 months, said Paul Pefley, the company's president. Pefley declined to say where the aircraft were being operated or for which branch of the DoD. The OV-1 was retired from US Army use in 1996.

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/XeroSygnal/PICT0024.jpg

U.S. Customs operated at least one OV-1 as a chase plane. I found one of them in a dismantled state inside a hangar at Genneseo, N.Y. I have a few B&W pics but I'll have to search for them. This aircraft was later restored and is on display outside the warbird museum at Elmira, N.Y., painted in Army markings.

I'll do some digging tomorrow if I get a chance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The OV-10 Night Observation Gunship (NOGS) was a USMC OV-10A modified to include a turreted FLIR sensor and turreted M-197 20-mm gun slaved to the FLIR aimpoint. Successful in combat in Vietnam, NOGS evolved into the NOS OV-10D, which included a laser designator.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
In '90, seen guys fall out the back over LZ Falcon in Lejeune...

???

Sure you're not thinking of a Boxcar ?

Nope, OV10, look at Craftsman62's post.

There is a door at the rear of the airframe, the drivers would pitch the nose up, the 1st guy out, IIRC, would open the doors then release the only belt holding them all in.

Negative Ghost Rider... no rear door on an OV10. Two seater. That be it.

Are you positive?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
There are only 6 OV-10D's at Davis Monthan.
Now the State Department is operating a few of them, as is the California Department of Forestry.
There are a few in private hands too.

The CDF has 13 of them.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The OV-10 Night Observation Gunship (NOGS) was a USMC OV-10A modified to include a turreted FLIR sensor and turreted M-197 20-mm gun slaved to the FLIR aimpoint. Successful in combat in Vietnam, NOGS evolved into the NOS OV-10D, which included a laser designator.

Now dats what I is talkin bout!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Time to start making the Piper PA-48 Enforcer....

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You don't fall out the back,,,you pull yourself out

SEMPER FI
RECON
DO OR DIE
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

www.davidpride.com/Air_WP/images/WP2_020.jpg

home.bak.rr.com/aprtbum/images/PA48side.jpg

svsm.org/albums/pa48usaf/DSC10195.jpg

I didn't expect anyone here to remember that one. I should have known better.

Didn't it have a Lycoming T-53?

ETA: Where is that? WPAFB?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

That's a gorgeous plane.  I remember reading a few years ago about a company that tried to produce a P-51-esque CAS plane, but that they were unsuccessful.  I had never seen photos before now, it's a shame the Air Force doesn't want to pick up planes like that or like the P-63.  I take it the Key West agreement would keep the Army from operating CAS aircraft like that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

???

Sure you're not thinking of a Boxcar ?

Nope, OV10, look at Craftsman62's post.

There is a door at the rear of the airframe, the drivers would pitch the nose up, the 1st guy out, IIRC, would open the doors then release the only belt holding them all in.

Negative Ghost Rider... no rear door on an OV10. Two seater. That be it.

The rear door was removed for air drops.  It was kick ass to have you feet hanging out as it took off.  The cargo bay could hold six.  They put a stool for you to climb up on, you turned around, sat down and they pushed you up into the cargo bay.  The next guy in line sat between your legs.  There was a jump light near the door.  When the light changed colors, the plane went into a climb and you fell out.  It was a real "A" ticket ride!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't expect anyone here to remember that one. I should have known better.

Didn't it have a Lycoming T-53?

ETA: Where is that? WPAFB?

Close on the powerplant:  Lyco T-55-9

OK... for some reason I thought the PA-48 had the same engine as the UH-1D. IIRC, the OV-1 had a pair of T-53s.

I know my memory is slipping, but I could have sworn the Enforcer dated back to the 60s, so I dug through my "saved magazines" stack and came up with this (Jan 1969 Popular Mechanics). I remembered the P-51 alright, but it turns out it still had the Merlin, not a turbine. HOWEVER, it's interesting to read in the text where Cavalier had built a turbine-powered "Mustang 3" prototype. I'd say the Piper Enforcer got its roots here.

Cover shot, PM January 1969. Yeah, I save everything.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top