BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2006 1:47:35 PM EDT
In case anyone cares (probably not):

From Movile-review.com:

Mobile phone vendors keep on making their handsets ever slimmer and breaking records. The Chinese site PConline.com.cn has posted photos of a new mobile phone Samsung X828, which is not yet officially announced. Under the preliminary data this device is 6.9 mm thick. I’d remind you that the Korean KTFT announced its 7.9-mm model for the Korean market in March.

Despite of its slimness the phone features advanced specs. It is supposed to have a 2-megapixel camera, an MP3-player, 80 GB [sic] [should be megabyte!]  internal memory and Bluetooth interface. Like another slim model – Samsung P300, the X828 is equipped with a landscape oriented 262K color LCD. Taking into account the index the smartphone is designed for the Chinese market, the European version will be marked X820.

Compare it with Samsung P300 (8.9 mm):

Additional picture from Slashphone.com:

All I can say: Finally a mobile that's actually thin enough that I would consider carrying it around in my pocket! I've always said that anything over 10mm is overkill and unnecessarily bulky. Thank you Samsung! I can't wait for the X820
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
this mobile phone thing is really turning into a penis measuring game.... what's the point?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Too bad I recently got the Sony Ericsson K750i, I wont be buying a new mobile for a couple years.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
im waiting on casio gzone waterproof cell phone:
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
dude, it's just a phone.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
80 GIG internal drive???

no way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
ahh the never ending cell-phone one-upmanship lol.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
80 GIG internal drive???

no way.

Why not? Hitachi has been devloping tiny drives for years... it was only a matter of time. My cell takes up to 2 GB of hot swappable memory card...
ETA: evidently Hitachi's micro drives only go up to 8 GB at this point though...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They just copied the Motorola SLVR

Except the SLVR doesnt have a 2.0 MP camera (its 1.3 I think) and it only allows for up to 1 GB of memory I think.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Im happy with my Motorola L6 ... Same as the SLVR but without the MP3 player which I did not need or want. Its 10.9mm thick, not very noticeable in the pocket.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Too bad I recently got the Sony Ericsson K750i, I wont be buying a new mobile for a couple years.

Damn...I get a new phone every six months or so.

I'm on my second Razr and need to get a new one now
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I go about 2 years between mine, tends to happen when you buy them from europe or asia
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
All that AND 3 milliseconds of Talk time
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I go about 2 years between mine, tends to happen when you buy them from europe or asia

I got my last RAZR from a friend of a friend that works for Motorola. So I think the ones I get are high quality. I think it is just minutes that get them.

The one I'm using now has about 8000 minutes which is pretty low, but I can't hear the person on the other line very well, so I'm going to get a new one.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#16]
sure it's thin, but it looks like crap.

I'd lose my RAZR for a SLVR if they'd nix the MP3 playing and give it a decent camera.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
80 GIG internal drive???

no way.

Nice catch. Added note in red. It's a rather horribly written article, too, might I add, never mind that basic error...

I know it's just meant to be a quick blurb, but seriously, even I could've done a better job.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd lose my RAZR for a SLVR if they'd nix the MP3 playing and give it a decent camera.  

It's sexier than that lame RAZR.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#19]
where does one get one? I've had my S-E T610 for a couple years now....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]
It wouldn't take much force to break it in half.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sexier?

lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Im happy with my Motorola L6 ... Same as the SLVR but without the MP3 player which I did not need or want. Its 10.9mm thick, not very noticeable in the pocket.

Try again:

Standard Battery : 820 mAh Li-ion  
 External Memory : up to 512MB with optional removable memory card
 Dimensions (H x W x D) : 49 x 113.5 x 11.5mm
 Weight : 96 grams
 External Display : 176 x 220 1.9" TFT with up to 262K colors
 Volume : 59 cc
 Antenna : internal
 Form Factor : Candy Bar

-Motorola

Point is, in any case: it violates my 10mm rule. A man must abide by his rules.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, it's a little smaller than mine.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They just copied the Motorola SLVR

Except the SLVR doesnt have a 2.0 MP camera (its 1.3 I think) and it only allows for up to 1 GB of memory I think.

Actually:

Integrated Digital VGA Camera with 4 x Digital Zoom

VGA = 0.3 MP camera.

External Memory : up to 512MB with optional removable memory card
-Motorola

That 512MB limit is a software one, by the way...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I was lookign at getting a SLVR (this was a coupel of weeks before they hit the US market). Then I found the SE phone I have now...  I'm such a technophile I wanted tons of features etc. Only thing I wish was integrated into it was an FM Modulator so I could set the phone near a radio and play MP3's on it, but I think I could do that with some other aftermarket stuff (it wouldnt be pretty though).

Sample pic from the 2.0mp camera

1632x1224 pixils
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
80 GIG internal drive???

no way.

Why not? Hitachi has been devloping tiny drives for years... it was only a matter of time. My cell takes up to 2 GB of hot swappable memory card...
ETA: evidently Hitachi's micro drives only go up to 8 GB at this point though...

It's just 80MB, no way there is an 80GB in there. The site made a mistake. I will report it to them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I hate cell phones
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

sexier?

lol

Yes. The same way your average European car is sexier than the average American car. Or the way the average European woman is less obese than the average American woman. Sexier.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The iPod nano is 6.85mm thick. They don't break easily. Get your facts straight before spouting bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yeah, I bought one two years ago but I gave it to my father because he liked it so much. I sort of miss it. The upcoming SE W950i is pretty nice too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I WISH NEXTEL WOULD COME OUT WITH COOL PHONES
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was lookign at getting a SLVR (this was a coupel of weeks before they hit the US market). Then I found the SE phone I have now...  I'm such a technophile I wanted tons of features etc. Only thing I wish was integrated into it was an FM Modulator so I could set the phone near a radio and play MP3's on it, but I think I could do that with some other aftermarket stuff (it wouldnt be pretty though).

1632x1224 pixils

Is that sign for real?  You took that picture?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I bought one two years ago but I gave it to my father because he liked it so much. I sort of miss it. The upcoming SE W950i is pretty nice too.

I thought they were only released in Q1 or Q2 2005? I wish I had money for the W950i Soo many electronics, so little cash
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The iPod nano is 6.85mm thick. They don't break easily. Get your facts straight before spouting bullshit.

Yeah but how far across is the I-Pod nano? It's all about leverage. I would probably be worried about it breaking too. I would not call it bull shit. If it was in your pocket and your pant leg got pulled against your leg hard enough it could probably break.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1632x1224 pixils

Is that sign for real?  You took that picture?  

Yes and yes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah but how far across is the I-Pod nano? It's all about leverage. I would probably be worried about it breaking too. I would not call it bull shit. If it was in your pocket and your pant leg got pulled against your leg hard enough it could probably break.

yah ive got a friggin inch thick flip-phone i carry in my pocket and still just from pressur ive crasked the outside lcd pane twice.... I dont like all this minature crap... gimme one the size ive got now with a interal headset carrier and 3x the battery and ill be happy
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I won't ever buy a cell phone with an exposed LCD display or keypad.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought they were only released in Q1 or Q2 2005? I wish I had money for the W950i Soo many electronics, so little cash

I am in Europe, remember?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you never saw the tests where a guy drive his truck over his nano repeatedly...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in Europe, remember?

Yeah thats what I thought the UK release was, they never officially released it here in the US. Our mobile systems are so fucked up and behind the times anyway, it probably doesnt matter much.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you never saw the tests where a guy drive his truck over his nano repeatedly...

The nano is contained in a much smaller package. That was my point. I was referring that I would be worried about the Samsung phone from cracking/breaking too when pressure is applied the wrong way in a grown man's pocket. I wasn't talking about the nano. The nano is not a flat phone that covers a larger area. Do you think that phone could survive being ran over by a truck?? Somebody on the board said their friend broke their RAZR phone when they sat down and it was in their front pocket since it was so flat. I'd worry about the same thing with this phone.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The nano is contained in a much smaller package. That was my point. I was referring that I would be worried about the Samsung phone from cracking/breaking too when pressure is applied the wrong way in a grown man's pocket. I wasn't talking about the nano. The nano is not a flat phone that covers a larger area. Do you think that phone could survive being ran over by a truck?? Somebody on the board said their friend broke their RAZR phone when they sat down and it was in their front pocket since it was so flat. I'd worry about the same thing with this phone.

Personal responsibility goes a long way, eh? People today can't seem to care about keeping their belongings in good shape...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#43]
i cannot believe grown men are having this conversation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I can't believe people here are so excited about cell phones losing 1mm in thickness.

FWIW, my current cell phone is just under three centimeters thick and the only thing I don't like about it is the obscenely large bulge it produces in my pocket. I don't own this thing to take pictures or send e-mail or get two or three chicks a piece. I use it to make phone calls, it does it's job, when it dies it will have fulfilled it's life mission well. Specialization is for tools.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#45]
This is what happens when your government bans anything and everything involving fun.  Take note U.S. citizens.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I can't believe people here are so excited about cell phones losing 1mm in thickness.

FWIW, my current cell phone is just under three centimeters thick and the only thing I don't like about it is the obscenely large bulge it produces in my pocket. I don't own this thing to take pictures or send e-mail or get two or three chicks a piece. I use it to make phone calls, it does it's job, when it dies it will have fulfilled it's life mission well. Specialization is for tools.

I don't care about the camera, Bluetooth, MP3 player, or anything else to be frank. I'm all about thin. Thin is in, and thin is sexy. I like sexy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
This is what happens when your government bans anything and everything involving fun.  Take note U.S. citizens.

Which is why Americans have the number one "must-have-latest-mobile-now" website in the world: Howard Forums.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
i cannot believe grown men are having this conversation.

Ok, next time I see something about the latest feminine beauty products, I will be sure to post it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

No need for the holier than thou attitude. If you don't like the discussion, don't take part in it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm happy with my Samsung A900

Dimensions as follows...
3.86" x 2.01" x 0.57"

Its a flip top.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top