Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/11/2006 10:39:49 AM EDT
Just in, no link, NFI.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:42:01 AM EDT
Nothing on AF Link or any other news feed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:44:52 AM EDT
FNC has been showing video of the crash site for about 45 min. Didn't have to much info about type of craft or fate of pilot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:46:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 10:50:42 AM EDT by CFII]
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- An F-16 crashed and burned today in a field two miles southwest of Luke Air Force Base. Luke officials said the pilot ejected safely but was taken to a hospital to be checked out.

The jet -- assigned to the 56th Fighter Wing at Luke -- crashed shortly after take off just before 10 a-m.

Former State Representative Joe Hart says he saw the plane plummeted from the sky, striking the desert in a ball of fire. Hart also says he saw the pilot parachute from the plane.

Luke is located in Glendale, west of Phoenix.

This is why man made aircraft with 2 engines. One gets you home when the other takes a dump. Hell, the wright brothers were correct, right at the begining.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:48:08 AM EDT
I knew 2A373 was back in the states, but I thought he was back to Eagles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:48:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:49:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
sbritt.com/images/jarts.jpg

The AF will put you in an F-16,then the fun will begin.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:55:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Chairborne:

So what you trying to say?

Not sure if it's going to be Eagles or Raptors, I'll find out when I get to Tyndall. I hope it's Eagles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:00:18 AM EDT
These things happen!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:01:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HarrySacz:

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
sbritt.com/images/jarts.jpg

The AF will put you in an F-16,then the fun will begin.

just because i make fun of them doesnt mean that the F-16 isn't the #1 jet i want to fly! i'd love to be a viper driver (well, that or a hog)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:06:00 AM EDT

This is why man made aircraft with 2 engines. One gets you home when the other takes a dump. Hell, the wright brothers were correct, right at the begining.

Someone must have forgot to tell the F-18 and numerous other 2 engine fighters about this. LOL.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:09:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Someone must have forgot to tell the F-18 and numerous other 2 engine fighters about this. LOL.

Hey, they are capable of flying with one engine out. Just some do it better than others.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:14:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CFII:

Hey, they are capable of flying with one engine out. Just some do it better than others.

I thought the puropse of the second engine was to get you to the crash site..
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:15:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By presto99:

I thought the puropse of the second engine was to get you to the crash site..

That is what they are for on light twins, like the ones I fly. Most prop light twins can barely climb 200fpm at gross weight on one engine. Airliners and high performance fighters are much better at one engine flying. MUCH better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:59:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:

Not sure if it's going to be Eagles or Raptors, I'll find out when I get to Tyndall. I hope it's Eagles.

Just giving you a hard time about the lawn dart crash in the ROK. I hope you get Raptors, I'll come visit you when I am at Herby for training this summer and get a tour.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:06:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 2A373:

Just giving you a hard time about the lawn dart crash in the ROK. I hope you get Raptors, I'll come visit you when I am at Herby for training this summer and get a tour.

I'm still waiting to find out what caused that one to go down.

I've worked both Raptors and Eagles already and would rather go back to working Eagles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 4:37:54 PM EDT by Darkstar117]
I work weapons in the 310th (another squadron at Luke), and we have the largest concentration of F-16s in the world here, so by nature we usually have the highest loss rate.

Link to story
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:09:19 PM EDT

Bad CFII. Bad. The Wright Flyer was a single engine with chain drives to a pair of props.

You should know better than that. Go put your nose in the corner.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:10:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Bad CFII. Bad. The Wright Flyer was a single engine with chain drives to a pair of props.

well, I do get the idiot award. At least there were 2 props. Scary.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:12:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

well, I do get the idiot award. At least there were 2 props. Scary.

I'll let it slide this time. But next time we fly there will be a closed book test on the Flyer's POH.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:13:11 PM EDT
Haha, I doubt I could fly the wright flyer. In fact, Im pretty damn sure I cant.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 12:18:58 PM EDT by Chairborne]

Haha, I doubt I could fly the wright flyer. In fact, Im pretty damn sure I cant.

I thought it was interesting that the built an exact replica for the 100th anniversay three years ago, and the very experienced test pilots couldn't get it to fly very well either. Apparently the stall margin was very tiny! Those guys had some big brains and brass b@lls to fly that thing.

Back on topic though:

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:17:14 PM EDT

I thought it was interesting that the built an exact replica for the 100th anniversay three years ago, and the very experienced test pilots couldn't get it to fly very well either. Apparently the stall margin was very tiny! Those guys had some big brains and brass b@lls to fly that thing.

Hell, they just didn't know that the damn thing couldn't fly.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:20:11 PM EDT
Sorry guys accidental discharge with my .50bmg again

Ho­pe the pilot(s) are ok
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:19:51 PM EDT
Wright flyer also had an aluminum block. must have been crazy expensive back in the day.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:07:18 PM EDT
bump
Top Top