Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 10:09:19 PM EDT
In my time, I have seen numerous photos of tornadoes. But never have I seen one more striking or impressive than this one:

Wow! That's all I can say. It is both gorgeous and frightening at the same time, with the lightning and/or powerflashes illuminating that big, black funnel. Geez. Seeing something like that moving toward you would make the bravest of men soil their pants. This tornado did quite a bit of damage but missed the main portion of the town, from my understanding. So while it was a strong F3 with winds up near 200 mph, luckily, it didn't kill anyone, though about 20 were injured.

BTW, this was apparently taken from the upper floors of a building with a webcam! Most photographers would be thrilled to have an image so unique and it's doubful they could have done it much better shooting top of the line photo equipment. Simply breathtaking and amazing.

Also, that photo was pulled from a National Weather Service website, so it's now in the public domain. But nevertheless, the photo credit goes to Jennie Stuart (at least that's who the NWS credits it to).
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
damn those things scare me
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a high res version?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice photo
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Got a high res version?

Sorry. That was the only one I saw on the site. I doubt the "resolution" could be improved too much anyway, considering it was taken with a webcam. Still impressive though. If it was just a bit higher quality, that would make an awesome screen saver.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Got a high res version?

Since it is from a web cam, that probably is the hi-res version.

ETA:  I should read the entire thread before I do these things.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag.....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like the head of a monster on the left side.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:48:09 AM EDT
[#10]
We drove through the neighborhood that was hit by that thing the other day. Lots of distruction. Its amazing what Mother Nature can dish out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Is Jennie Hot?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Shit.... wonder if my family is ok..
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:00:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool photo

Quoted:
Is Jennie Hot?

This is my interest, as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:01:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm dying, so to speak, to see one of those things but not freaking at night!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
the town of Bradford (Tn) was hit by one 400-500 yards wide.

after it was over the townsfolk breathed a collective sigh of relief

and then they were pummeled by another one just as big 5 minutes later.

although the national news sources are reporting 10 to 12 deaths, it was closer to 30 just in NW Tn.

it sounds like a freight train and like brass said...it completely engulfs you so there's no sense of direction.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Holy smokes that's a frightening picture!

I spent the first 29 years of my life in Nebr. I never saw a tornado, though I did see my fair share of really big storms that could have dropped one.

And when I moved to the mountains of Colo. a great sense of relief came over me. I guess I never realized how much those damn big storms scared me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Amazing picture. I can only imagine how terrifying it must be to have one of those coming towards you.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

although the national news sources are reporting 10 to 12 deaths, it was closer to 30 just in NW Tn.

it sounds like a freight train and like brass said...it completely engulfs you so there's no sense of direction.

4-500yds wide?  Thats it?  There's been bigger F3's than that in Kansas.

And that is an AWESOME photo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I hate those things.  Earthquakes don't really bother me, but I am afraid of tornados.  I guess it's what you are used to as I grew up in California.  The guys who grew up in tornado areas weren't nearly as bothered by tornado warnings and watches as I was, but said they were afraid of quakes.

Hope everyone is ok, Hoptown is kind of a dump, but even still.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Aggggggh
I feel about those the same DeFrige feels about spiders.
We got hit Nov. 6,2005 by a F4 (or F5 depends one whose numbers you listen to) 25 people dead in my area. I just the roof and siding replaced and I was lucky. Four houses from me is a hole in the ground. The sound is not like a freight train, a train is quiet.
The nosie, and the fear produce disorientaion. You don't know if you will live.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4-500yds wide?  Thats it?  There's been bigger F3's than that in Kansas.

And that is an AWESOME photo.

yeah, but there's absolutely nothing in Kansas for a Tornado to destroy.

I mean, in Tennessee, there are hmm...trailer parks, and fields, and trailer parks...

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Those storms were FAR reaching.
I was traveling on I-70 through IL that evening. The storms were like none I've ever seen.
The lightning was unreal. Bolts shooting as far as the eye could see in every direction. Side to side, to ground, etc...

All I could think was HOLY CRAP !
The winds were bad that night too...  'Kept blowing my Dually off the road.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Nothin' compared to the one that wiped Jarrel, TX off the map...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top