Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 6:46:49 PM EDT
www.house.gov/apps/list/press/sc03_barrett/pr_040506_immigration.html

Barrett: “It’s Time We Stop Illegal Immigration”  

Washington, DC – This morning Congressman Gresham Barrett (SC, 3) delivered the following remarks on the House floor:

Mr. Speaker,
As complex as illegal immigration may be, I think the House got the logic right in dealing with the issue.  Illegal immigration needs to be split into two separate but equally important issues.  First being security and enforcement.

Once the first portion is set and in place, the time will be right for Congress to come back and address the 2nd issue “illegal workers.”  While they contribute in positive ways to our society, unfortunately because they are here illegally they place burdens on our job market, our educational system and our health care costs…burdens that are shouldered by hard working American taxpayers.

My advice to the other chamber is to listen to the American people.  They are tired of their elected officials turning the other cheek and playing politics with the ideals on which our country was founded and the security of our nation.  They want us to plug the holes and stop the flow of illegal immigrants before we do anything else.

It’s time we listen.  It’s time we stop illegal immigration.

Barrett, a member of the Immigration Caucus, has been engaged in the debate since coming to office in 2003.  In fact, he has offered a comprehensive plan, the Securing America’s Future Through Enforcement Reform (SAFER) Act, which would strengthen our borders, increase screening and tracking of aliens, remove alien terrorists, criminals, and human rights violators, enhance enforcement of the Immigration and Nationality Act, expedite removal proceedings, and reduce emergency immigration workload levels.  Barrett also worked with Chairman Duncan Hunter and others last fall to include language in H.R. 4437 calling for a fence to be built along certain portions of the southern border and perform a feasibility study along certain areas of the northern border.  

There is no doubt that America is a nation of immigrants, but America is also a nation of laws.  In the coming weeks and months Congressman Barrett will continue to work to find a solution that respects both.

Barrett is truely one of the good guys, and happens to be one of the most pro-2nd members of Congress.  He's also just a heck of a nice guy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Too bad he represents South Carolina  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You have a virtual clone in McHenry
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
DeLay did...and he's mine.

Dammit.

HH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine gets it!   Go Tancredo!!!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
1 gets it
2 dont
We have sensenbrenner
And then we have
Feingold and Kohl
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have a virtual clone in McHenry

Good ol Patrick......
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Not so much with Kay Bailey Hutchinson

MRS. HUTCHISON. Mr. President, I so appreciate that the majority leader has called this to the Nation's attention because we have been working on this bill for almost 2 weeks now. The majority of the body has not had its say. The Judiciary Committee worked very hard on this bill. However, it is a bill that I could not possibly invoke cloture on before we have had a chance to have input and the opportunity to change it in the direction that the full majority of this body--hopefully, a resounding majority of the body--would support.

The House of Representatives passed a bill that probably not one Member of the Senate would support. That is not going to be the final position of Congress. The Senate is taking a different approach. The Senate, in general, agrees that there should be a guest worker program. It has been very difficult to come up with the right solution on how our country handles the 12 million people who are here illegally--a solution that is fair and equitable for the citizens of the United States and ensures law and order on our borders. It would be wrong for Congress to pass a bill which indicates border security is business as usual, or that the laws of our country can be broken with no penalty whatsoever. Most of us want to pass a guest worker program that allows people to come back and forth legally into our country, help our economy, earn their benefits and be able to keep them--not in the underground, but aboveboard. Most of us want that.

Unfortunately, the bill before us does not provide the right solution. Yet, we are sincere in our desire to amend it. That is what our leader is trying to say. I think it is wrong for the Democratic minority to hold up amendments and not allow those who have worked for hours, days, weeks, and months on this bill, to offer alternatives, hear debate, and start shaping a bill that would put our country in the right direction, secure our borders, keep our friendship with Mexico--our neighbor to the South, and treat people fairly.

Passing a bill that achieves these objectives is a goal I think we can all reach, but not if we cannot have amendments and are forced to vote on cloture. I could not possibly vote for cloture, nor could all but one or two on our side. That is not bipartisan. It is not the process we have followed in this Senate.

I urge my colleagues on the other side of the aisle to let us proceed with amendments. Don't waste the next 24 hours. Let Senator Kyl have his chance to have his amendment voted on. Let others who have ideas have their amendments voted on.

I think one area we have not significantly addressed, one I would like to be able to talk about, is an alternative for people who do not seek citizenship in America. There are many wonderful Mexican workers in our country who want to remain citizens of Mexico, who intend to stay with their families in Mexico, but who desire the economic opportunities in America. Why would we not provide them an opportunity to come out of the shadows, to work and earn their pay in the open, and then go home? Why should they wait in a 10-year line for U.S. citizenship, which they do not seek?

Clearly, we have not fully vetted this issue. The Judiciary Committee worked hard to produce a bill, a bill which I do not support. Yet, they certainly worked hard, did their homework, and were very thorough. We need to have a chance to work on that bill with the rest of the Senate because most of us are not on the Judiciary Committee. Immigration is an issue that affects all of our States and our country as a whole. We need to address it in a sincere, productive way that will come to the right solution. The only way to do that is to allow the Senate to debate and vote on amendments. If we can come to a consensus, and have a 75-to-25 vote, or a 90-to-10 vote on a final bill, then we would have produced the right solution. We will not be able to do that if we invoke cloture before voting on amendments.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You're lucky!  I'm going to vote for him as POTUS if O_P doesn't run.

HH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
KBH wants the Hispanic vote.

A vote WHORE
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.house.gov/apps/list/press/sc03_barrett/pr_040506_immigration.html

Barrett: “It’s Time We Stop Illegal Immigration”  

Washington, DC – This morning Congressman Gresham Barrett (SC, 3) delivered the following remarks on the House floor:

Mr. Speaker,
As complex as illegal immigration may be, I think the House got the logic right in dealing with the issue.  Illegal immigration needs to be split into two separate but equally important issues.  First being security and enforcement.

Once the first portion is set and in place, the time will be right for Congress to come back and address the 2nd issue “illegal workers.”  While they contribute in positive ways to our society, unfortunately because they are here illegally they place burdens on our job market, our educational system and our health care costs…burdens that are shouldered by hard working American taxpayers.

My advice to the other chamber is to listen to the American people.  They are tired of their elected officials turning the other cheek and playing politics with the ideals on which our country was founded and the security of our nation.  They want us to plug the holes and stop the flow of illegal immigrants before we do anything else.
It’s time we listen.  It’s time we stop illegal immigration.

Barrett, a member of the Immigration Caucus, has been engaged in the debate since coming to office in 2003.  In fact, he has offered a comprehensive plan, the Securing America’s Future Through Enforcement Reform (SAFER) Act, which would strengthen our borders, increase screening and tracking of aliens, remove alien terrorists, criminals, and human rights violators, enhance enforcement of the Immigration and Nationality Act, expedite removal proceedings, and reduce emergency immigration workload levels.  Barrett also worked with Chairman Duncan Hunter and others last fall to include language in H.R. 4437 calling for a fence to be built along certain portions of the southern border and perform a feasibility study along certain areas of the northern border.  

There is no doubt that America is a nation of immigrants, but America is also a nation of laws.  In the coming weeks and months Congressman Barrett will continue to work to find a solution that respects both.

Barrett is truely one of the good guys, and happens to be one of the most pro-2nd members of Congress.  He's also just a heck of a nice guy.

Right on!  Passing additional laws now makes as much sense as a guy with a bleeding artery in his arm talking about the nice tatoo he is going to get, while ignoring his blood loss.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A vote WHORE

I had not seen that quote before today.  She'll be getting a call from me tomorrow.  What I don't understand is, after pandering to the 'new electorate'...why aren't the Republican's passing out flyers at the rallies? At the Dallas rally yesterday there were plenty of Democratic party supporters... I don't think KBH knows what she is asking for ...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1 gets it
2 dont
We have sensenbrenner
And then we have
Feingold and Kohl

Sessenbrenner is a flake though he is correct on this one for a change.

I have Green and he is okay but is running for governor and I already told him he is lost my vote permanently over the illegals issue.

Feingold?
Not sure. We'll see how it shakes out. Sent him a letter voicing my disatisfaction over the issue.

Kohl?
He fuck us almost certainly. He has done so over and over and over. I don't know how he gets re-elected even with all of his money.
Sent him a letter also. He is up for re-election. He needs to go down.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A vote WHORE

hard to blame her, considering where she's at.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A vote WHORE

Now hold on one damn minute.

You started this thread to tout the fact that your Republican congressman "get's it" because he wants to stop illegal immigration. But when I posted the fact that my Republican Senator wants to stop illegal immigration by broadening the law and allowing more "guest workers" to come here you give her a pass?

It's gone waaaaay beyond Kool-Aide for you my friend.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A vote WHORE

Now hold on one damn minute.

You started this thread to tout the fact that your Republican congressman "get's it" because he wants to stop illegal immigration. But when I posted the fact that my Republican Senator wants to stop illegal immigration by broadening the law and allowing more "guest workers" to come here you give her a pass?

It's gone waaaaay beyond Kool-Aide for you my friend.

I was commenting on the number of hispanics that have already invaded the state of Texas.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#18]
hrm

senator Mel MARTINEZ
rep Illeana Ros-Leightnen

NOPE- they're selling us out QUICK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top