Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 5:49:30 PM EDT
Duh...

There's GOT to be a simple way to do this without a Masters degree in computer science.

Here's the scoop...

Computer #1 (My Dell Dimension 4600)
Has the printer connected via USB

Computer #2 (Wifes new Toshiba Satellite series laptop)

Computer #3 (Teenagers Sony Vaio desktop PC in her bedroom)

Computers 1,2 & 3 are all connected via Ethernet cable into a Linksys WRT54G router, which gets to the internet via a RCA cable modem.

Computer #1 is running WinXP Home SP1
Computer #2 is running WinXP Home SP2
Computer #3 is running WinXP Pro SP2

With all that in mind, is there an EASY way for them(PC's #2 & 3) to "sniff around" and all find the printer connected to my PC ?

My PC does have a 2nd ethernet port in it, which I assume is a networking port ? This port is hard-built into the machine. The port (I use) to connect to the internet is in a removable bay.

If I could make this work, that would be great. I hate to think I 'gotta buy a printer for each PC and associated ink cartridges for each.

Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:53:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 5:57:03 PM EDT by Chokey]
Share the printer on the host PC

or

Wireless Print Server

or

USB Peripheral Switch
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:57:41 PM EDT
Make sure that all of the computers are in the same workgroup. Share the printer you want everyone to have access to. Go to Add Printer on the other computers and add a network printer.

That should do it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:49:29 PM EDT
I've been trying to do the network setup wizard, but for some reason I can't get them to work.

I'll keep fooling with it for awhile...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:53:36 PM EDT
Fantastic Question - I'm wondering the exact same thing! I'm going to try the fixes. I Glad to join the dummy club - count me in as a qualified member.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:54:01 PM EDT
Magic
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:56:03 PM EDT
my computer > control panel > printers and faxes
right click on the name of the printer and select 'sharing'
make sure 'share this printer' is selected.

that should do it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 6:58:36 PM EDT by AZ_Sky]
I just went through the same thing at my house.

Your hardware is already in place, all you need to do is turn on printer sharing on your #1 Dell computer and all will be fine.

Obviously your #1 Dell will always have to be turned on to share the printer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:49:39 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:58:53 PM EDT
WOO HOO !!!!!

It worked !

What I did was this...

I connected all three to the internet.

Starting with 'puter #1, I ran the home network setup wizard. I named each computer different, but used the same workgroup for all of them.

Once I got them all networked, I opened "my network places" in #2 and #3 computers and clicked on "view network computers". When I saw computer #1 on the list, I double clicked on it. That showed the printer. When I double clicked on the printer icon, it automatically installed drivers.
The next thing I did was print a test page from both computers.

I was jumping up and down like a giddy little kid... My wife thought I was on drugs...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:04:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:41:41 PM EDT

I remember years ago when "networking" was almost voodoo. No one I knew had a network at home consisting of any more than two computers on a serial line. The closest thing we came to networking was using a modem to dial a BBS. Now, the school had a network, with a POWERFUL 386 that had a MASSIVE 40 meg disk.

The first time I made more than two computers talk to each other and share resources, I felt pretty accomplished.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:11:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:
I remember years ago when "networking" was almost voodoo. No one I knew had a network at home consisting of any more than two computers on a serial line. The closest thing we came to networking was using a modem to dial a BBS. Now, the school had a network, with a POWERFUL 386 that had a MASSIVE 40 meg disk.

The first time I made more than two computers talk to each other and share resources, I felt pretty accomplished.

Ditto THAT.

The year I graduated ('85) my HS built a "Computer room".
Prior to that, my youger (geeky) brother and I had been messing with a Texas Instruments Ti99-4a.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:25:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 3:27:27 AM EDT by Outsider_10fp]

Originally Posted By bastiat:

that should do it.

PLUS:
( this is AFTER you get the network up and running) you'll need to install the printer drivers on the other TWO machines.

ETA: nevermind I see you got it
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:05:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/11/2006 7:06:37 AM EDT by Dragracer_Art]

Originally Posted By Outsider_10fp:

Originally Posted By bastiat:

that should do it.

PLUS:
( this is AFTER you get the network up and running) you'll need to install the printer drivers on the other TWO machines.

ETA: nevermind I see you got it

Yup, I actually stumbled onto that by accident.
Once I had the network all setup, I clicked on the printer icon from the other computers... It automatically installed the required printer drivers.
All I can say is, WinXP is the cats whiskers.... Very little thinking involved on my part.

If I can do this shit, ANYBODY can.
I'm just a dumbass gear-head auto mechanic.
Top Top