Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll second the Vaquero in Stainless in 44 or 45.  You can really stout up the 45s in them if you have the hankering.  5.5" barrel is just about right for a tiny guy like you.  &" is really nice for a trail gun too.

Of course a nice Stainless Smith is a wonder to behold
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/DragonsBloodAxe/50beowulfBFR.jpg

I want one.

That's gun John Candy used at the end of 'Armed and Dangerous'

Sweet

The 50 caliber buffalo killing handgun!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
any pre lock smith or a GP100

nothing really wrong with a Taurus 66 or something but they are second tier
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The Cowboy: Slim, I ain't never seen a handgun that big before.

Frank Dooley: Yeah, it's a 50 caliber. They used to use it to hunt buffalo with. Up close! It's only legal in two states. This isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get you a used Smith & Wesson Model 19-3. It's a .357 Magnum.

I had one with a 6" ribbed barrel. Man that was a nice gun. Kinda regret selling it.

ETA - hey Airwolf, are you out of Kalifornia for good now?

Yup.  Closed on the house up here on Feb 13th.  Took me about a month of running around after that to actually finish the move.  Only thing left to get is my MT CCW permit (using my AZ one for the time being).  Kids are still in San Diego with their mom.  Planning to go back Christmas time for a week with them.  Other than that, the Peoples Republick of Kalifornistan has seen the last of me.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Great responses!  I love this place

I gotta admit that I came this close to getting the 627 that TBS recommended when it first hit the shelves in California.  VERY appealing look (IMHO).

I know you can't go wrong with a Ruger either, given that they are built like tanks.

I was planning to narrow it down to something that uses .38/.357 but Wave's suggestion on the 610 is compelling.  I've got a couple of .40's already and keep a fair amount of ammo on hand for them and I've always wanted to give 10mm a try.

I'm going to re-read this tomorrow when I have some functioning brain cells and consider ALL the recommendations and then maybe go hit the shops and fondle some examples.

Thank you everyone for the considered opinions and NOT the usual flames and bashing that tend to break out in threads like this.

I need a tac rifle in .308 as well (my "serious" bolt guns are .223 and .30-06)... but that's for another thread later.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]

S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum (.357 Magnum)

Colt Trooper MkIII (.357 Magnum)

Both my personal fave wheelguns (neither of them is mine though.)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 586 4" that I just bought.

Always wanted a wheel gun...and the 586 is fairly beastly and nothing beats S&W for DA revolvers.

Mine is pre lock.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hive mind, recommend a first wheelgun for me

You have bees ?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:46:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Any of these will bring a smile to your face

S&W 629

S&W 29

S&W 66

S&W 27

The models 29 and 27 are only available used...do not hesitate to pick one of these up in good condition though.

Ruger revolvers, although having stronger frames, do not have the gracefull look and feel of  Smith and Wesson wheel guns.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:18:14 AM EDT
[#12]
4" 66 or 686
GP-100
If you like N frame Smiths Model 27 & 28 but they are blued.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i did the same thing last year.

i HIGHLY reccomend...

S&W Model 627 V-Comp Revolver
8 rounds 357
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=27034

this gun shoots like a dream and with hot 357 it's like pulling the trigger on a cap gun. zero muzzell flip and damn near no recoil.

i have never been a "wheel gun" gun. but always wanted one GOOD revolver for my collection. This gun is the shiznit

Performance Center revolvers are exceptionally good revolvers. If you can afford one, you can't really go wrong with them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Smith and Wesson 686

a couple reasons I bought one over "the others"

there will always be a market for S&W revolvers

they use forged frames instead of the cast frames of Ruger

holds up better to full 357 loads than the model 66 (not known personally, but have read this many times)

heavy barrel underlug reduces the 357 recoil to almost 38 levels

I got a great deal by shopping around.

just my .02
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#16]
S&W Model 686  6" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#17]
No question, no hesitation. It's the same as my answer when a non-gun person asks about a handgun for the home or car: S&W Model 10 (or predecessor/successor) in .38 Sp., unless weight is an issue, in which case go with a Model 37 (or predecessor/successor) in .38 Sp. if weight or size is an issue. You lose one round, one pound, and about 3" with a 37 series.

They are accurate and the controls are instinctively accessible. They are idiot-proof and as close to abuse/storage-proof as a gun can be. If they're loaded, they'll go off when you pull the trigger, even if they've been gathering rust, dust, and goo in a purse or drawer for decades. Parts availability is incomparable (I can't imagine how many millions of the things are floating around) and ammo is cheap. They are also very nice pieces of machinery.

When I see one, if the price is reasonable and I have the money, I buy it. I have probably given away 10 of them over the years. I picked up a very nice 2" Mod 10 with stag handles for $197 out the door a week or so ago. IMO, they are like toilet paper, AR mags or duct tape: you cannot have too many, and you can't waste money buying them. They are just that useful - especially if you are "the gun guy" in your circle of acquaintances. It's nice to be able to put one in a woman's hand 15 minutes after she comes to you terrified by a string of rapes or what-have-you in her neighborhood.

They are certainly not the "ultimate" gun (what is?), but as far as utility and effectiveness they deserve a place in some museum of design. They are the apotheosis of that particular line of tools.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Smith and Wesson 686

a couple reasons I bought one over "the others"

there will always be a market for S&W revolvers

they use forged frames instead of the cast frames of Ruger

holds up better to full 357 loads than the model 66 (not known personally, but have read this many times)

heavy barrel underlug reduces the 357 recoil to almost 38 levels

I got a great deal by shopping around.

just my .02

Please let add another 5¢ to your 2¢.  With all due respect, Rugers are pretty decent guns, and are hell bent strong.  If you are on a budget, and have zero interest in resale value, then the Rugers are it.  The GP100 type grips are the most comfortable factory grips bar none.

But my interest also lies in the resale value, for most of my pre-lock S&Ws and Colts, I can sell most of them for at least what I paid for them, and many, more; and why not, have a good time shooting and make some money at the same time.  I find that Colt and S&W guns are also faster to sale.

I haven't sold any of my guns since I started shooting because they are going to my children.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a couple of Smiths and a Ruger.
The Smiths have finer finish and forged frames which makes them a tad lighter than their Ruger counterparts (the cast frame Rugers tend to be a few ounces heavier).
The Ruger GP-100 has a better grip (no steel backstrap).  This makes shooting the Rugers more comfortable with hot Magnum loads.
The Smiths aren't made quite as well as they used to be.  My 686 has gone back to the factory for work to correct erosion at the forcing cone and an ejector star that stopped lining up properly with the back of the cylinder.
Rugers just plain work; not a bad feature for any "tool".
The Ruger is probably a better value for the dollar if you want to shoot it a lot and actually use it out on the trail.  The Smith MIGHT hold its value better, but only if it is to become a safe queen.
For what you want, I'd go with the Ruger .357 or the Smith 10 mil. which would be fun and a good overall trail gun.  Ammo will be harder to come by for the 10.
For any of these Magnum type guns you're better off if you get into handloading.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#20]
The big S&Ws are great as are the Ruger GP 100s and Security and Service 6s.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I think the only downside of a Ruger vs S&W, when I was buying my first revolver, my friend and I tested Ruger GP100, S&W 686, and a Colt Python, the S&W and Colt shot a 5 shot 1" group at 75', and the Ruger shot 1.5".  A bit less accurate, but for home defense where distances are going to be 10-25' this won't be consequence.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top