Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:16:08 PM EDT
I've been in a few depositions like this sometimes.

Its no wonder my profession has such a bad reputation.

My first deposition EVER started off in this vein.   Luckily, I knew the trial court judge very well, and with one phone call she issued an Order that the deposition be stopped, and reconvened in her chambers.   I was never popular in the case after that, but no one fucked with me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e12sqYYLJxA

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  One of the reason law can sometimes pay as well as it does is that you have lots and lots of days where you have to put up with a whole lotta crap.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Monsanto..

Do you know what this case was about? Someone suing a farmer for cross-pollination of their GM crops or something?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
What right did that one Monsanto attorney have to even speak if he didn't represent the person being deposed?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Why don’t they just pull out their peckers and a ruler.

By the way: I’m betting that Pete Grace had the biggest dick in the room.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
DUDE! You're a lawyer????

Crap...and to think I was thisclose to liking you....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Monsanto..

Do you know what this case was about? Someone suing a farmer for cross-pollination of their GM crops or something?

Joe Jamail is the Texas "King of Torts"

He's got like 12 billion in jury verdicts in his clients favor, so if he's involved its not likely a licensing dispute about crops.   But I'm not sure.

The "asshole" factor in that room was something to behold.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What right did that one Monsanto attorney have to even speak if he didn't represent the person being deposed?

He represented a party to the case, so he had the right to make objections to questions and testimony just like he would if the witness was on the stand during trial.  You don't have to represent the person being deposed to object.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I suppose it won't help if I say I only represent the "good guys"?  

Or asked "How YOU doin????"
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#9]
btt
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad attorney! No Torts for you!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Great video.

Isn't it true when a southern guy calls someone 'boy' them there are fightin' words?

That old guy made him flintch! Hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pshaw.   I guess you don't want to see my "briefs" then?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
This reminds me of my kids IEP meetings.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a dumb computer/phone guy - can one of you lawyers explain what a deposition is? I know I could hit up wikipedia and all, but I'd love to hear it from the...uh...horse's mouth, as it were.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if the atty doing the questioning was sanctioned.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm a dumb computer/phone guy - can one of you lawyers explain what a deposition is? I know I could hit up wikipedia and all, but I'd love to hear it from the...uh...horse's mouth, as it were.

Pretrial Q&A on the record with a court reporter.    Creates massive transcripts that can be used to find admissions or concessions or show the lack of dispute on certain factual issues rending a trial unnecessary.  

In other words, if you need to prove A, B, and C and you get the other guy to concede those points in a deposition, you can ask the court for judgement without a trial.

Also used, as in the case there, to scrutinize the opinions of witnesses who write up an expert report and will be testifying with the special imprimature of "expert" -- although usually a lot more civilized.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

More or less, an interrogation with a certified court reporter taking down the q&a. There are two main types of deposition. An evidence dep and a discovery dep. Deposition rules are rather nuanced and vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm more of a boxers kinda girl

There's a thread in GD right now about how awful women are to work with...I gotta say...this video is a tempting piece of rebuttal.....
But I'll behave...for now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretrial Q&A on the record with a court reporter.    Creates massive transcripts that can be used to find admissions or concessions or show the lack of dispute on certain factual issues rending a trial unnecessary.  

In other words, if you need to prove A, B, and C and you get the other guy to concede those points in a deposition, you can ask the court for judgement without a trial.

Also used, as in the case there, to scrutinize the opinions of witnesses who write up an expert report and will be testifying with the special imprimature of "expert" -- although usually a lot more civilized.

Oh, so the old guy was to be an "expert"?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, so the old guy was to be an "expert"?

Reading between the lines, that would be my assumption, but I don't know for sure.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm more of a boxers kinda girl

There's a thread in GD right now about how awful women are to work with...I gotta say...this video is a tempting piece of rebuttal.....
But I'll behave...for now.

I would have to disagree, this is just proves why working for men is better.  When men don't like each other they will tell you exactly how they feel about you and you will know where you stand, the video proves that.  Now if that were a group of women they would all be holding back their feelings, acting like they were getting along, all while figuring out the best way to undermine, back stab and destroy each other once they leave the room.  The men probably all went out for beers afterwards.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#22]
tag for home...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top