Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/10/2006 3:35:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 3:38:34 PM EDT by M4-AK]
I shot 2 boxes of AA Light Targets yesterday. When I collected the hulls, some of them had a hole or a crack at the base of one of the crimps. I don't know if it was one box of shells, or one barrel of an O/U.

What causes the crack or hole? These were new factory loaded shells.

M4-AK

edited to say, now that I have looked more closely by holding them up to the light, that some of them have pinholes at the base of every fold.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:25:28 AM EDT
btt
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:35:45 AM EDT
I'll reply since no real expert has

I think I know what you are describing. I usually see that after a couple reloads when the plastic gets a little brittle. On factory fresh loads it may be a problem with the plastic used in that specific lot. AA hulls have never impressed me for reloading. I prefer the Rem. STS. Try a box of AA from a different lot and a box from another manufacturer and see if the observation is consistant. It may be a problem specific to a few individual lots. Have you e-mailed Winchester?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:39:12 AM EDT
I didn't notice it until I got home. Discarded the boxes. However, I have more on my shelf, and we'll see if some of them do the same thing. If so I can notify Winchester and give them lot#s.

The plastic on AA shells do not seem of the same quality as STS shells. ...but since the price increase, I get what I find the best prices on.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:44:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:44:13 AM EDT

I had noticed that also on the older gray hulls also. Seems some are predestined to die early. The ones that don't last for a long time though. I reload the bad ones with #5 and use them for pheasant.

Shok
Top Top